Which tranny to use?

Need some setup advice, have some stories? For organized racing stories only! No street racing here!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Which tranny to use?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

You don't have a 3t40 in your Z so that will be quite hard unless your doing a trans swap.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
beretta

Post by beretta »

3X00-Modified wrote:You don't have a 3t40 in your Z so that will be quite hard unless your doing a trans swap.
oops my bad, its a 4t60 in the Z ?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yes. All Z26's were either a Quad4 5-speed, or a 3100 V6 with the 4t60e. 95+ was all the v6 auto combo. The 3 stands for how many gears... 3 speed, and 4 speed...

4 - Gears
T- Transverse aka FWD
60 - Strength rating
E - Electronic Control

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
beretta

Post by beretta »

yes i should have know that, sorry i must not have been thinking right.. LOL

Whats the easiest way to make the 4 speed less sluggish off the line, change final gear drive ?

I have been debating a 5 speed swap but i kind of like having 1 automatic, my 88 5 speed is fun to jump in and rip around but for longer drives ect the auto is nice for cruising around and if my gf needs to drive it she can lol.

Figure8racer5

Post by Figure8racer5 »

its legal at one of the tracks i run to use a 5spd but with traveling around so much i just wanna stick to a auto. the rpm thing is what he was telling me. im not 100% on that. i will know myself when i go up there. they put a crane 425 lift cam and retarted the timing to allow for more bottom end. "they say" i would rather come out hard and pull the hole way then to have to worry about keeping rpms up so its not as sluggish. i think i may switch the cam to the melling mtc 5 cam over th winter and find a good tranny setup then.