The Z26 you all wanted to see

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Cam2363

Re: The Z26 you all wanted to see

Post by Cam2363 »

One very concerning thing that has happened twice is I will take my foot off the gas, but the car stays at 1500 or so RPM and it keeps accelerating, even when breaking. Thankfully it has happened in places where it wasnt a life or death situation, but it is still definetly scary. I think my throttle is sticking, and I hope its that and not a computer issue.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

What did you do for the accelerator cable, did the original plug into the 3400 TB directly? You are likely on the right track with the TB sticking -a careful cleaning with an old toothbrush, a rag, and some carb cleaner spray makes a quick job of that though. You can also try switching your old IAC valve back in...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cam2363

Re: RE: Re: The Z26 you all wanted to see

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:What did you do for the accelerator cable, did the original plug into the 3400 TB directly? You are likely on the right track with the TB sticking -a careful cleaning with an old toothbrush, a rag, and some carb cleaner spray makes a quick job of that though. You can also try switching your old IAC valve back in...
I swapped the shaft and linkage from the 3100. I also have the IAC from the 3100. And the TP sensor. It seems to only get stuck at 1500 rpm. It happened earlier and I let it go and it stopped after like 3 seconds of doing nothing. It's a weird issue

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Check for vacuum-leaks. Since you don't have an emissions 'smoke machine' tester, it may be necessary to check with careful squirts of carburetor/intake spray-cleaner while the engine is running -check around that throttle-body, especially around the shaft. I would strongly recommend starting off with making sure the screws to your throttle-plate aren't working loose, and the plate itself is properly centered and seated -that could be the issue right there. Remember to go back to basics too -you may want to use a MAF cleaner, just to make sure the MAF's hot-wire wasn't contaminated with oil, dust, whatever while you had it out for the engine-swap.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:Check for vacuum-leaks. Since you don't have an emissions 'smoke machine' tester, it may be necessary to check with careful squirts of carburetor/intake spray-cleaner while the engine is running -check around that throttle-body, especially around the shaft. I would strongly recommend starting off with making sure the screws to your throttle-plate aren't working loose, and the plate itself is properly centered and seated -that could be the issue right there. Remember to go back to basics too -you may want to use a MAF cleaner, just to make sure the MAF's hot-wire wasn't contaminated with oil, dust, whatever while you had it out for the engine-swap.
Ok. I have cleaned the maf before, but I'll try it again. I'll also try to readjust the throttle body. My car idles a little rough too, so that might be a reason of that

I know I tried really hard to keep the throttle plate centered and moving smoothly. I'll try to make sure it's perfect. Should it be completely closed when its closed, or should there be a small gap?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Closed should be CLOSED, at least to start with. You can adjust the minimum idle set-screw a little to take out any binding and help eliminate stalling and excessively low idle, but that should be used for 'adjusting and fine-tuning', not 'assembling and centering the plate', if that makes sense. Try taking out most of the throttle return-spring tension while assembling too, just to help keep everything aligned properly. The throttle-plate screws are typically factory distortion-locked to keep them from moving around, I would suggest just applying a dab of Green penetrating-grade Loctite, I wouldn't suggest that you try hammering at the back of the screws :wink: .

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:Closed should be CLOSED, at least to start with. You can adjust the minimum idle set-screw a little to take out any binding and help eliminate stalling and excessively low idle, but that should be used for 'adjusting and fine-tuning', not 'assembling and centering the plate', if that makes sense. Try taking out most of the throttle return-spring tension while assembling too, just to help keep everything aligned properly. The throttle-plate screws are typically factory distortion-locked to keep them from moving around, I would suggest just applying a dab of Green penetrating-grade Loctite, I wouldn't suggest that you try hammering at the back of the screws :wink: .
Sounds good! I set the screw pretty much as low as it would go and still cause contact with the arm, but I brought it up a little bit to try and fix the idle. I might take the TB off and soak it in carb cleaner for a bit to try and break down the carbon, unless that's. Bad idea for the bearings

For the spring, I have it exactly how it was back on the 3100 unit, so is that too tight?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Our throttle return springs don't offer a lot of adjustment, but if the throttle gets closed when you let off the pedal and it doesn't take undue effort to apply throttle, what else can you ask of it? I would just recommend having very little spring tension WHILE SETTING THE PLATE MOUNTING SCREWS so it doesn't distort anything. If the set screw is in the right spot, it probably shouldn't matter though. Some throttle-plates will stick if allowed to seat 100%, so obviously that would require correcting with the set-screw in that case.

The carbon in the TB shouldn't be too bad -mostly PCV vapor deposits, so a little gentle scrubbing with a rag and a soft-bristle tooth-brush dipped in solvent or judicious use of a spray intake/carb cleaner should be all you need for even a filthy one -I've even used gasoline as a solvent before with no problems. Main thing is not to spray a ton of cleaner or solvent down the intake if you clean the TB on the engine -you don't want to fill up a cylinder with fluid, RIGHT? :wink:

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26

Post by Guest »

Ok. I'll take it off tomorrow and give it a scrub and readjustment. And yeah... I've learned my lesson about how much an engine costs. Dont need to learn it again[emoji23]

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Ok. I'll take it off tomorrow and give it a scrub and readjustment. And yeah... I've learned my lesson about how much an engine costs. Dont need to learn it again[emoji23]

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Heat is fixed! Turns out that the temp door was stuck on peice the heater core attaches to. Once it was readjusted, it works amazing. So happy to have heat back

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Beretta left me stranded on my way to school. Started misfiring again and giving really low power. Same thing that happened when the engine initially blew up. I am low on gas, but I dont think I ran out. I guess at this point, only a new coil pack and gas will tell me what actually happened

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Got it running again after giving it gas and swapping coil pack. I only have a cylinder 2 misfire now, which I'm pretty sure is just a bad plug. I also changed the wire on that cylinder with no change.

This is the last time I buy auto lite plugs

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Sadly. I think I am planning on selling this soon. So if anyone is interested, it will probably be for sale soon! I just need something that's AWD for college because it snows a lot up in rochester NY.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Cam2363 wrote:Sadly. I think I am planning on selling this soon. So if anyone is interested, it will probably be for sale soon! I just need something that's AWD for college because it snows a lot up in rochester NY.

Well, that is too bad, I wish I could say it was a surprise though. My 'old' '95 Z-26 was bought originally for parts -but my niece's car had been totaled-out by a drunk-driver that pushed the trunk into the back seat while it was parked on the road one night -so I slapped a new piston into the Z's engine with some spare 3100 heads I had and sold her the car on payments. She loved the car (at first) and the power it had compared to her four-cylinder Dodge, but they just didn't get along. She had been told to drive the car easy for the first few hundred miles due to the new gaskets, but she started racing the car around bragging about how quickly it sped past 100mph, she ran the car out a gas repeatedly until the pump fried, and she rear-ended someone on the highway, then kept driving it with a bobbing hood for a couple of days until the latch let go on the highway thus putting the hood soundly into the windshield, at which point she was 'done' with the car. It wasn't all one-sided though, as the alternator died the second day she had it, the radiator started leaking right after that, one inner tie-rod had the rubber bushing come apart making the front-end shimmy badly at speeds over 25, so really the two just didn't get along (I would have driven the car for ~1000 miles before turning it over to her, thus finding and fixing these issues first, but she was desperate to have the car immediately, so I didn't have that chance). I bought it back and fixed the damages, it has been a great car for me for years since then. I guess sometimes the chemistry just isn't there for a car and the driver...

I hope you feel welcome to stick around on the site though.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26