The Z26 you all wanted to see

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Cam2363

Re: The Z26 you all wanted to see

Post by Cam2363 »

ifixalot wrote:Frame rot??? Say it isn't so! That is such a nice looking car.
BTW, I have a spoiler stoplight lens. Not in mint condition but pretty good.
What is it worth to you?
Unfortunately yes, it's not bad. There's just a 2 inch by like 6-inch hole on the driver side frame rail where the jack point is. When I was jacking up the car to do my suspension, it was kinda collapsing, and when I tried to do it again, the entire car fell a bit when it gave out. You can just poke it and it falls apart. I actually used some flex tape to cover the hole to avoid getting a bunch of salty road water in there and rotting it more. The rest of the car isn't bad, but I would love t get that fixed, but don't have the money. I live in Allentown Pa, and the previous owner also lived in PA, so its a PA car. So its rust and pothole central up here. From what I found out, it seemed like the guy bought it new when he was in his late 50s I think, which was actually his second Beretta, and drove until he died in April of 2017, then I got it in May of 2018. At least that's what I think as I found the card in the manual with the guy's info on it, and with a little bit of googling found an obituary for him. It makes sense, but I'm not sure if that's the real story, just what I think it is from the clues I found. I'll upload some pictures later if I remember, of what it looks like.

Also what kind of shape is it in? Does $15 sound good?

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

https://m.autozone.com/external-engine/ ... 12080?aqs=

Is that the best thing, or is the fel-pro better. This is the kit with everything where the fel-pro doesnt have all the new bolts and stuff.

I also just found a guide online on how to do it. Seems like a hellish job. But it's cheaper than taking it to a mechanic, as long as I dont break anything. Good experience too as I've never done any engine work. Just electrical, brake. Suspention and cosmetic stuff and other simple things. The most I've done on an engine is replacing the carb on my snowblower. I've also replaced an alternator before and plugs. But that's all simple stuff. This will be fun when I do it.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

That is the set I would use. Fel-Pro has a great reputation, but since they are now made in whatever country they can manufacture it in cheapest (usually China), I've noticed a decline in quality -not huge, but definitely a decline. The Dorman set works great, fits right, better price and more complete.

Just remember to cover the lifter valley when cleaning off the mating-surfaces on the heads, and change the oil when you are done before starting it up (you WILL get coolant in the oil-pan). Change the O-ring on the oil-pump shaft top-bearing while you are in there. Clean everything off with brake-parts cleaner or something similar so the gaskets and silicone have a clean, dry surface to adhere to.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:That is the set I would use. Fel-Pro has a great reputation, but since they are now made in whatever country they can manufacture it in cheapest (usually China), I've noticed a decline in quality -not huge, but definitely a decline. The Dorman set works great, fits right, better price and more complete.

Just remember to cover the lifter valley when cleaning off the mating-surfaces on the heads, and change the oil when you are done before starting it up (you WILL get coolant in the oil-pan). Change the O-ring on the oil-pump shaft top-bearing while you are in there. Clean everything off with brake-parts cleaner or something similar so the gaskets and silicone have a clean, dry surface to adhere to.
Thanks for the tips! I definetly was going to do my oil when I did this anyways. I assume I need to drain my coolant too? And I will replace that o-ring too. How hard is it to do?

Also, is this the part I need for the oil-pump https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 87&jsn=529

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

No, the O-Ring you need is already in the kit from Dorman you are looking at. They call it a "Distributor O-Ring", because the oil-pump drive-shaft top-bearing is used on your engine instead of a distributor. After you have the intake manifold off, the top-bearing (it is also the drive-gear assembly) is very accessible, right under where the throttle body was before you removed it with the intake. It is an aluminum cap, about the size of a 50-cent piece. Unbolt the clamp, carefully pry the aluminum housing up and out, replace the O-Ring, re-install. These things are constantly leaking oil, they make a huge mess, and are a PITA to get to without removing the intake manifold.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:No, the O-Ring you need is already in the kit from Dorman you are looking at. They call it a "Distributor O-Ring", because the oil-pump drive-shaft top-bearing is used on your engine instead of a distributor. After you have the intake manifold off, the top-bearing (it is also the drive-gear assembly) is very accessible, right under where the throttle body was before you removed it with the intake. It is an aluminum cap, about the size of a 50-cent piece. Unbolt the clamp, carefully pry the aluminum housing up and out, replace the O-Ring, re-install. These things are constantly leaking oil, they make a huge mess, and are a PITA to get to without removing the intake manifold.
Ok Thanks! I will definitely make sure to replace that along with all the gaskets and stuff that it comes with.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Nostalgia! That looks exactly like the 95Z I bought when I was in college.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

woody90gtz wrote:Nostalgia! That looks exactly like the 95Z I bought when I was in college.
Awesome! Did it have the red interior and everythng?

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Here are those pictures I discussed. Some show the frame rot and the others show the rotten control arm. Not good.
20190205_165942.jpg
20190205_165949.jpg
20190205_165922.jpg
20190205_160253.jpg
20190205_160218.jpg
20190205_160223.jpg
20190205_160209.jpg

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

This is why I URGE people to get under a car before buying it. Any rust and rot like that in the rocker area indicates the car will probably continue to rust out and you won't be able to stop it. That is a very bad area to have rust and to stop it since it's the main structure of the unibody. Best of luck with it, but sadly this car will have to be laid to rest in the near future. And it will definitely continue and quickly if you are daily driving this car in the winter road salt.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

3X00-Modified wrote:This is why I URGE people to get under a car before buying it. Any rust and rot like that in the rocker area indicates the car will probably continue to rust out and you won't be able to stop it. That is a very bad area to have rust and to stop it since it's the main structure of the unibody. Best of luck with it, but sadly this car will have to be laid to rest in the near future. And it will definitely continue and quickly if you are daily driving this car in the winter road salt.
It is unfortunate, and such a shame as the car otherwise is perfect. Is there anything I can do other than cutting out the frame ad replacing it to atleast slow down the rust?

Atleast this will make a good parts car when it goes. And when it does, I plan to find another beretta. Maybe a convertible. I think those look awesome.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

You'll never find a convertible, they weren't sold to the general public. The only way to slow it is to cut it all out and replace it and hope for the best, but that is a very intricate section of the unibody so doing that will be quite difficult. Many parts meet there and are spot welded together and overlapped so unless you are pulling it apart layer by layer it will be hard to rebuild.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

3X00-Modified wrote:You'll never find a convertible, they weren't sold to the general public. The only way to slow it is to cut it all out and replace it and hope for the best, but that is a very intricate section of the unibody so doing that will be quite difficult. Many parts meet there and are spot welded together and overlapped so unless you are pulling it apart layer by layer it will be hard to rebuild.
Alright, forget the convertible then haha. But what if I got some rust converter paint or evapo rust and coated it to try and destroy some of the rust, then like rivit a piece of sheet metal on to block the hole. Would that be a good idea or more of a pain and mess than its worth?

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Phew...that thing is screwed. Now it reminds me of my old Z even more! Sadly I had to put it down due to cancer. 3X00 did on one of his cars, too.

It could be saved, but it would be a ton of hand fabricated work by someone with some skills. I thought about that for my car, too, but decided it would be cheaper, and a better end result to replace the shell and build a new car with a bunch of my Z26 parts. So 10 years ago I cannibalized the black Z and still have the new car. Couldn't be happier with the decision.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

woody90gtz wrote:Phew...that thing is screwed. Now it reminds me of my old Z even more! Sadly I had to put it down due to cancer. 3X00 did on one of his cars, too.

It could be saved, but it would be a ton of hand fabricated work by someone with some skills. I thought about that for my car, too, but decided it would be cheaper, and a better end result to replace the shell and build a new car with a bunch of my Z26 parts. So 10 years ago I cannibalized the black Z and still have the new car. Couldn't be happier with the decision.

Man. It's such a shame. I love this thing so much and there is no way I have the time or money to do any of that. Probably not until after college. Which is like 6 or 7 years away. Although at college I plan to get a vehicle for that, so the beretta will be garage kept like.it is now for 4 or 5 Years with little winter driving.