My first Beretta and it's a Beretta indy!

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
krisverde

My first Beretta and it's a Beretta indy!

Post by krisverde »

Saw this car posted up on a Facebook page, car was in Cali and I'm in AZ, so I got a flight and drove the car home 400 miles. Did great! I did have a check engine light come on as soon I was close to home, then it went off, and then came back on and then off again.

Sometimes when the car goes into lock up it seems to "bounce" into it which isnt a real good way of describing it.

Also digidash works but I think I need to replace the back lights as I can't see anything at night from the speedometer and the right portion of the dash is dim.

Sometimes the car surges a little bit while in gear too

Perhaps at one point I'll get the driver seat rebuilt a with foam and a new spring box. It's pretty beat.

So there's alot of little things that need to be done.

Oh and if anyone knows of any teal hoods and a driver fender let me know I need them! Mine have dents ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rettax3

Re: My first Beretta and it's a Beretta indy!

Post by Rettax3 »

Welcome to the site! Nice looking car, the interior looks better than most out there now too. Any major plans brewing for the car, or just going to straighten-out the minor issues and enjoy it? Looking forward to seeing more of it down the road, so to speak... :wink:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Mkweaver1958

Post by Mkweaver1958 »

Welcome to another Indy owner!

krisverde

Post by krisverde »

Rettax3 wrote:Welcome to the site! Nice looking car, the interior looks better than most out there now too. Any major plans brewing for the car, or just going to straighten-out the minor issues and enjoy it? Looking forward to seeing more of it down the road, so to speak... :wink:
Thanks man! Um, as of right now, Im going to fix up some minor issues and drive it. I MAY do a 3400 swap, but I want to look into doing some suspension mods (even though this car feels ok for the most part) and possibly brakes.

krisverde

Post by krisverde »

Mkweaver1958 wrote:Welcome to another Indy owner!
Thanks man!

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

If your 3.1 is running good, you won't get a whole new world of performance from the 3400, more like a really good refresh feeling. Overall, the 3.1 is a stronger engine in many regards, with thicker head castings, non-plastic intake manifold gaskets (which is a problem that can be fixed on a 3400), and the 3400s mostly use hollow cast cams that occasionally break. The 3400 also needs a custom front-mount for the older Berettas like yours. Definitely doable, just not a drop-in for your car as it is on some others ('92 and up). I have a 3400 block in my '90 Turbo with the top-end from a 3.1 -this would choke-out the 3400 block if it weren't for the turbo pushing the air into the engine, and it is mechanically reliable (other issues with the car leave it parked most of the time) and is relatively powerful, easily rivaling the modded Supercharged 3800 I have in my '89 GTU Beretta.

Your suspension is one of the best GM put into the Berettas, the FE7. Z51 from '88 is the only other one that MIGHT outdo it. But, it is pushing 30 now, so I am sure there are improvements you could do.

Beretta brakes have always been weak, so I am looking forward to seeing what you do to your binders.

Sounds like you have some good plans there. :good: Good luck.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
krisverde

Re: RE: Re: My first Beretta and it's a Beretta indy!

Post by krisverde »

Rettax3 wrote:If your 3.1 is running good, you won't get a whole new world of performance from the 3400, more like a really good refresh feeling. Overall, the 3.1 is a stronger engine in many regards, with thicker head castings, non-plastic intake manifold gaskets (which is a problem that can be fixed on a 3400), and the 3400s mostly use hollow cast cams that occasionally break. The 3400 also needs a custom front-mount for the older Berettas like yours. Definitely doable, just not a drop-in for your car as it is on some others ('92 and up). I have a 3400 block in my '90 Turbo with the top-end from a 3.1 -this would choke-out the 3400 block if it weren't for the turbo pushing the air into the engine, and it is mechanically reliable (other issues with the car leave it parked most of the time) and is relatively powerful, easily rivaling the modded Supercharged 3800 I have in my '89 GTU Beretta.

Your suspension is one of the best GM put into the Berettas, the FE7. Z51 from '88 is the only other one that MIGHT outdo it. But, it is pushing 30 now, so I am sure there are improvements you could do.

Beretta brakes have always been weak, so I am looking forward to seeing what you do to your binders.

Sounds like you have some good plans there. :good: Good luck.
My 3.1 runs great! So far, seems to have weird little hiccups but I may just need to do a full tune up. I'm not worried about much unless the limg takes a dump on it.

Honestly I haven't looked at RPO codes so I didn't even know about the fe7 suspension and thought that was only on the gtu. The more you know!

It's going to be a fun project and it adds to the rest of my odd collection of cars.

Rettax3

Re: RE: Re: My first Beretta and it's a Beretta indy!

Post by Rettax3 »

krisverde wrote:My 3.1 runs great! So far, seems to have weird little hiccups but I may just need to do a full tune up. I'm not worried about much unless the limg takes a dump on it.

Honestly I haven't looked at RPO codes so I didn't even know about the fe7 suspension and thought that was only on the gtu. The more you know!

It's going to be a fun project and it adds to the rest of my odd collection of cars.

The infamous LIMG issue is primarily related to the plastic gaskets used on the later 3100SFI and 3400 engines, supposedly the 3500s aren't as problematic, I can't say personally, but a LIMG failure on a 1990-era 3.1 MPFI is very rare.

GTUs received either FE3 or Z51 suspensions. FE7 was (almost) exclusive to the GTZ and Indy models. There was a rare-option GT in '92 IIRC that combines the V-6 and the FE7, that was the only exception. Interestingly, since GTZs only got a Quad-four/5-speed combo or a V-6/auto, the only Berettas to have the chance to come with a V-6/5-speed were the Indys and the odd-ball '92 GT... Happily, I have one of those Indys. :Rose: *[Edit -I found it -'92 GT with the "W26" RPO option had the Indy-style wheels and the FE7 suspension... Very rare to find one now.]

I would love to see what else you have too. At this point, most Beretta owners here seem to have other vehicles as well, and I think most of us have gotten past the niche` snobbery that is still rampant on many other car enthusiast sites [cough-camaro-cough-mustang-cough, cough]... :wink:

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
krisverde

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: My first Beretta and it's a Beretta indy!

Post by krisverde »

Rettax3 wrote:
krisverde wrote:My 3.1 runs great! So far, seems to have weird little hiccups but I may just need to do a full tune up. I'm not worried about much unless the limg takes a dump on it.

The infamous LIMG issue is primarily related to the plastic gaskets used on the later 3100SFI and 3400 engines, supposedly the 3500s aren't as problematic, I can't say personally, but a LIMG failure on a 1990-era 3.1 MPFI is very rare.

GTUs received either FE3 or Z51 suspensions. FE7 was (almost) exclusive to the GTZ and Indy models. There was a rare-option GT in '92 IIRC that combines the V-6 and the FE7, that was the only exception. Interestingly, since GTZs only got a Quad-four/5-speed combo or a V-6/auto, the only Berettas to have the chance to come with a V-6/5-speed were the Indys and the odd-ball '92 GT... Happily, I have one of those Indys. :Rose: *[Edit -I found it -'92 GT with the "W26" RPO option had the Indy-style wheels and the FE7 suspension... Very rare to find one now.]

I would love to see what else you have too. At this point, most Beretta owners here seem to have other vehicles as well, and I think most of us have gotten past the niche` snobbery that is still rampant on many other car enthusiast sites [cough-camaro-cough-mustang-cough, cough]... :wink:
I found my rpo tag and sure enough fe7 was listed. The more you know! I'm still learning about these cars so that's also good to hear about the LIMG then.

I'm jealous of your Indy with a 5 speed!

The fe7 explains why the car feels fairly flat on corners for what it is.

I'm mostly a Ford guy but I love the old fwd GM cars for some strange reason.

You wouldn't happen to have any insight on how the repro fenders and hoods fit do you? I'm trying not to roll around with mismatched body panels but whatever
..my paint is sun beat.

Also my other cars consist of a 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, 1985 BMW 745i (gray market car) 1989 Ford f150, 1990 Geo Metro (my daily) and a 2003 Ford Windstar that I bought willingly [emoji23] I have an odd taste in cars. Image