Project 91 GTZ Build Thread

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
banzai92gt

Project 91 GTZ Build Thread

Post by banzai92gt »

Hey guys,

i have had this car a while now and it was kinda just hanging out for a while. so i started building it and buying parts.

The 3400/3.1 that was built by Chris88CL went in a couple years ago and destroyed the auto tranny, so its been sitting waiting for a 5 spd for the longest time. I finally had some extra capital and a friend who works at a parts store started to accumulate some more stuff.

The plan was originally to just put the 5 spd in and update whatever needed to be fixed. That turned into, 5 spd swap, brake and full suspension upgrade/overhaul. if it has anything to do with either of those it will probably be new by the end of this.

started this way

This pic was about 3 years ago just after the 3400 swap, transmission went around this time and have been to lazy to fix/replace it until just recently.

pulled the engine:

Out with the old?

Had a MASSIVE Pile of new parts sitting in the house:
-Rotors/Calipers/Pads
-Drums/Shoes/Spring Kit
-Clutch Kit
-Intrax Lower Springs
-TSW Nurburgring 18" Matte Black Rims
-Radiator
-92+ Knuckles
-Monroe Sensatrac struts
-KYB GR2 gas adjust shocks
-Sway bar endlinks
-Tie rods
-Water Pump
-Power Steering Pump/Pulley
-Zex Wet Nitrous Kit

It was a cold night, so stayed in the house and put the front strut/spring combo together

Finally got around to putting them "IN"

Rear end of the car was next to be put back together:

put a new 94+ Filler panel on before i moved into my new house

Engine just hanging out at the new place with all the new parts on it

more to come....

1995 Z26 - 3500 5spd TURBO
Gtzman

Re: Project 91 GTZ Build Thread

Post by Gtzman »

Very very nice can't wait to see more.

banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

Thanks, i cant wait to do more, ill keep this updated

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Good luck with nitrous and a 5-speed... they have enough trouble getting traction with a 3400/5speed n/a combo add a sudden burst of power and you'll be making a smoke show :)

I know I have enough trouble and my ratio is a lot lower than the manuals.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

nice build thus far be nice to know what it does when ur done and what it looks like

banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

3400 do you have aftermarket axles and LSD??

thanks bud, this is gonna get a fresh coat of paint, tint and a front splitter as well

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Stock reman axles, and an EP LSD.

Have yet to hurt an axle since it's an auto but that could change with how hard it's shifting this year. It chirps 2nd gear at WOT shifting at 6700rpm, I've made a beast out of my 4tsleezyE

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

interesting.. hah

banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

So engine is back together, all pipes heat wrapped. But... having issues with how to mount this due to the fact im transitioning to a Getrag 5spd..

Mounts dont seem to line up, seeing as im auto to 5 spd swapping, What am i missing peeps??

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

banzai92gt wrote:So engine is back together, all pipes heat wrapped. But... having issues with how to mount this due to the fact im transitioning to a Getrag 5spd..

Mounts dont seem to line up, seeing as im auto to 5 spd swapping, What am i missing peeps??
The transmission? :D -Sorry! Okay, so you have the old-style mounting brackets -awesome. Your tranny should have a bolt-on steel bracket on the top that bolts to the fugly (yet functional) steel-and-rubber mount currently attached to your car's frame. That big bracket is different auto vs manual trans. The front engine mount is also different, I am assuming you have the fabricated J-Body front mount (your initial photos are gone, thanks Photobuttheads!), hopefully the correct spacing for the 5-speed setup.

Also, your dog-bone brace should have a different bracket that bolts onto the bottom of your 5-speed. I don't recall if the dog-bone itself is the same auto vs 5-speed, but that might be another part you need.

Looking forward to seeing more of your project. I hope you can fix the old photos too. :good:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

Awesome, Thank you, ill look into that, I have that big FUGLY metal mount for the auto transmission. Ill need to find the 5spd one i guess.

As for the other mounts, I guess i dont have any of those.. hmm

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

The dog-bone brace isn't the biggest deal (yet), if you can't find stock parts for the 5-speed, let me know and I can hook you up on it. Do you have a pic of the front engine mount? It has to be a custom something to fit a 3400 into the older Beretta... I'm just curious to see what you have.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

Ive got the rear one, passenger side.

Ive got the dogbone you see and ive got the big ugly one that was holding the Auto. thats it?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Uh-oh.

On your Getrag, do you have the first-style slave-cylinder mount with the steel bracket and the visible arm for the clutch-fork, or is your bellhousing the second-style where the slave-cylinder bolts directly to the bellhousing with a completely internal fork-arm, or the third-type with the concentric slave cylinder/throw-out bearing and no clutch arm?

I walked through the shop today, and almost tripped on an early-style five-speed trans mount... So yeah, if you need one, let me know. You will also need a custom front-mount for sure, since you are dropping a 3400 block into an older-style Beretta engine-bay. The 3400s are sans the front mounting bosses, so there simply isn't anything to attach the stock front passenger-side engine mount to. Most people here use the "J-Body" custom mount, I do not like it because of the ridiculous complexity -I have made a few of my own using about 1/3 as many pieces, and there is some issue retaining the original A/C compressor IIRC with the "J-Body" mount, mine are designed to retain the original compressor. There is a recent discussion on this here...

Anyway, the original V-6 mounts back then had: One front passenger side, one rear passenger side, one upper transmission, one lower transmission dog-bone. You could switch over to the mounts used on the later-style bays, like your '95, but you would need to weld-in the frame-side parts, and I think they tend to rock more in the bay than the older mounts, they only have one engine-mount, one tranny, and a dog-bone.

My '90 Turbo has a 3400 block too, so it has one of my front mounts installed, and because I had upgraded the turbo to a huge T-04 (now removed and placed in my '95 3.4 DOHC Z-26, bolted in as of today), I had to ditch the upper transmission mount, and replaced it with a bottom-mount unit I built years ago instead. I've since added similar bottom mounts to my V-8 Indy's five-speed and the 3.4 DOHC's five-speed, which is why I have spare top-mount plates. My GTU had retained the original upper-style mount until I swapped out the five-speed for the six...

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

It is the one with the concentric slave cylinder, no ARM.

It was mounted and driving with the auto before. i cant think of what the front passenger mount even looks like..