If You Parted Out a Car, Was It Worth It?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
90blkgt

If You Parted Out a Car, Was It Worth It?

Post by 90blkgt »

The recycling yard will haul my 1990 Beretta away, and pay me $130. Besides the $130 payment, I instantly get a big chunk of my garage back (the car has been parked for 12 years).

The Beretta looks good from the door sills up, but the rockers and undercarriage have severe rust. If the underside was not so far gone, I would work toward putting the car back on the road. Originally I had removed the heads because there was coolant in the oil, so the top of the engine is off.

What are the considerations or unintended consequences of parting out a car yourself?

woody90gtz

Re: If You Parted Out a Car, Was It Worth It?

Post by woody90gtz »

My dad has bought a lot of old junk Mopars and parted them for a nice profit. I mean, he had some REALLY ugly stuff that he made good money on.

However, I think Berettas are a different story. I don't think there's a lot of money to be made, but you could salvage some parts for others who may need them.

You'll need some time and some organized storage to do it right. You may find the sweet spot in this case is somewhere in the middle. There are always the easy things to take off like headlights, tail lights, fillers, gas doors, etc. But for the more involved stuff, post asking about who needs what from your year and drivetrain. Talk prices and get commitments, then remove those parts and scrap the rest.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
90blkgt

Post by 90blkgt »

Thanks for offering your perspective. I thought about it, and decided that I wanted the space in the garage now vs after parting out the car.

whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

All else fails, just hold onto some odds and ends you think think you may be able to profit from, as long as you have the space.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
Stencil
Administrator

Post by Stencil »

Unless something is in really nice shape (like interior), these are not worth parting out unless you have a lot of time. I've purchased several cars for 1 or 2 parts that I needed, and then parted out the rest, and I'm lucky if I get my $200 back I paid for the car. Unless they are the special performance models (Indy/GTZ) they don't really fetch much.

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M
90blkgt

Post by 90blkgt »

I am in the process of liquidating equipment from my parents' defunct business, so I have some of their gear in my garage. I reached a point where I had to do something to get some garage space, and sending the car to the recycling yard was the fastest way to do that. Overall the interior on my car was nice. The seats, carpet, and headliner were clean and in good shape. I was the owner since new, and kept up with the cleaning and maintenance. The parts that were not so good were a warped dash pad and a driver's seat reclining mechanism that no longer locked into position. It would recline when you leaned back into it. And that rotten undercarriage.

I still have some parts to sell. When I took the engine apart, I had had the heads cleaned, checked for cracks, and resurfaced, and I think a valve job, too, and I still have them. I have a set of unused rebuilt "matched" fuel injectors, and the rest of the upper portion of the engine. the GM shop manual, a Felpro head gasket kit, and probably some other miscellaneous stuff I will find.

The car could have survived the 12 years of garage storage if I had not parked it during the winter with probably some road salt residue on it. I rinsed out the undercarriage with a garden hose before I parked it, but after 12 years of sitting, the undercarriage had severe rot.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Depends on how many parts you can sell and who needs parts. Usually you can break even when its a car nobody wants to pay a lot for.

aurolio

Post by aurolio »

As a tip, you need to identify which components are in demand because these are the ones that will bring good money.

4DoorGTZ

Post by 4DoorGTZ »

10+ years ago when they were more available parts cars made sense. You could get low mileage motors and decent parts. And the community was more active because there were more on the road. Nowadays anything you find for parts is a long lost cause, like Aaron said, probably only a couple good things on them.

As time moves on, even the well cared ones are going to get liquidated..... and there will only be a handful of people willing to take on something that's 75%, or is clean but needs an engine, or a built car that looks like crap...

06 Trailblazer SS Bored & Stroked 408ci, ZR1 Cam, Trick Flow heads, TVS1900, Built Trans w/stall 600AWHP
09 Solstice GXP Targa Coupe 1 of 1266
93 Med. Garnet Red Q4 GTZ 1 of 621
Bfest '01, '02, '04, '05