Cost to convert a Beretta for dirt track/derby?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
GT_Indy

Cost to convert a Beretta for dirt track/derby?

Post by GT_Indy »

So I found out where I live they do dirt track oval racing, and possibly derbies. Two things I always wanted to do when I was younger. Now that I have money and time I wanted to have some fun with a couple Berettas I still have.

Those who have done this before, what is the typical cost in parts to convert a Beretta? I was thinking of paying to have it done as I do not have a garage, how many man hours do you think it takes?

List of things I would need to do:
Remove windows, keep windshield?
Weld doors shut.
Remove gas tank, little tank on back seat area or trunk?
Roll cage.
Window protector.
Strip interior, nothing that can catch fire.
Battery relocation?

Not sure what I might be missing.

Rettax3

Re: Cost to convert a Beretta for dirt track/derby?

Post by Rettax3 »

We have a similar thing out here. A former co-worker of mine was big-time into it, had destroyed probably two or three dozen cars over the years, and I mean destroyed beyond the ability to move ever again -these crunched balls of former cars were stuffed into the woods all over his family's property... Currently, I am contemplating using a Fiero chassis -rear engine, rear-wheel drive, A-arm front suspension (more durable than strut-type, sorry Berettas), hoping to relocate the radiator to the rear, maybe over the engine if the local rules allow, and I could bash into people with the front-end of that Fiero until I got tired of doing it. The whole chassis is a steel space-frame type, all the bodywork of the Fieros were a fibrous plastic, and held zero structural function. The Fiero's diminutive fuel-tank sits dead-center in what would normally be the transmission-tunnel on a conventional rear-wheel-drive car, this might be the safest place for it, again depending on local rules, though most groups would require a smaller 'cell' placed elsewhere, I would think.

You are going to need side-irons (structural steel plates or some-such) most likely, and will want to bolster-up a lot of the front framework, as it is all just sheet-metal. We saw one guy who was running a couple of '98ish Cavaliers, and although not the same as a Beretta, those cars are very similar in structural concept. They did okay through half of the races, but at the end of the season when he demolishioned them, the cars didn't do spectacularly. Weak spot was mostly the suspension areas -he got hit a couple of times even before the demolishion races and everything buckled, causing the wheels to stick out at odd angles and he was driving halfway on the sidewall. I think he got knocked out with one of them from a CV being over-extended and popped apart IIRC. Berettas would have the same weaknesses, on a longer and easier-to-hit frame. But, Berettas handle well, are light-weight, and their sheet-metal frames will crunch and crunch and crunch, not snap and break, so yeah, they should be fun at least...

Remember to ditch the airbag, haha!

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Re: Cost to convert a Beretta for dirt track/derby?

Post by GT_Indy »

Ya I kinda expect the car will get smashed up from being used like this. I'll probably just do the minimum and get the safety stuff put together for each car. I have at least 2 Berettas I can dedicate to this.
Yah A fiero would do good in a derby, you might damage the steering though. I've seen derbies where they keep ramming with the rear of the Beretta and win because the front never got touched. But the back was gone up to the side windows. lol.

I remember hearing that you can bypass the radiator with a long hose, no coolant water only, or keep the radiator. not sure what I want to do at the moment. I found the races and derbies, now to someone who is involved with racing and see what I can do to enter, then get a car shipped over here and converted.
Totally want to have some fun with this. I'll be able to see how a I4 manual does compared to the v6 auto which will be cool.