what did you do to your ride today?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
ifixalot

Re: what did you do to your ride today?

Post by ifixalot »

Message_1580406381911.jpg
Sold the 96 Z26.
It's in a better place where it won't rust away.
Got news tires on the 88.
Found stainless exhaust tips at Autozone. I hope they don't fall off.
20200204_151608.jpg

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Sorry you decided to let the Z go, after all the work you put into it lately, I had hoped you would change your mind and keep it, but it sounds like it will still have a good home. I love the color of your '88, is that one of the factory shades? My '90 'Retta is the slightly green-tinged Marina (actually Medium Sapphire Metallic) blues, the later smokey-blue they had for these is probably my favorite, but your '88 looks 'right' with that spoiler matched-in. The tips look great, are they a bolt-on deal?

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Mkweaver1958

Post by Mkweaver1958 »

Well, I replaced the gasket on the coolant bypass bleeder (AGAIN!). Now I need to replace the power steering pump that has developed a wobble.
Ran the wiring to the rear center trunk panel for LED lights (Full width lighting).
BTW, I still need the upper and lower rear trim panels so I can return it to stock.

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

Rettax3 wrote:Sorry you decided to let the Z go, after all the work you put into it lately, I had hoped you would change your mind and keep it, but it sounds like it will still have a good home. I love the color of your '88, is that one of the factory shades? My '90 'Retta is the slightly green-tinged Marina (actually Medium Sapphire Metallic) blues, the later smokey-blue they had for these is probably my favorite, but your '88 looks 'right' with that spoiler matched-in. The tips look great, are they a bolt-on deal?
As you might remember, I replaced the support arm, control arm etc, then it blew a brake line. After that, one of the hubs started making all kinds of noise so I replaced that. So it was all fixed up when I sold it. But it still needed more than what I can comfortably do. It was rusting away sitting outside and I don't have enough garage space for all my cars. I tried a cover to shed water but the cover screwed up my paint by holding in moisture. I knew the car needed lots of work underneath and it would need paint soon. Since I have so many cars, I decided it best to let it go.
I'm also getting pretty burned out doing all these cars repairs all the time. I just got through replacing a bunch of brake lines on my Saturn as well as the muffler. I have some money saved and I'm looking to get rid of more old cars and get something newer. Trouble is everything seems to have trans issues or some other issues going on.
My 88 is solid and has 31k miles so it makes sense to drive that one. Illinois just raised all the license fees too. Cars are now $150 each. So trimming the herd might be prudent too. Illinois raised the trailer fee from $18 to $100 for a little trailer!!! I hear they might repeal that one but it's getting expensive.
The guy who bought the Z said he wants to restore it so I hope he is able to and he can enjoy it for many years as it will have a home in his garage.
The 88 is a stock factory color and original paint. It has a couple spots where the clear coat flaked off.
I'm hoping to keep it covered from the sun and waxed, maybe the paint can last.
Yes those tips bolt on. It seems like a pretty sturdy setup to clamp onto the pipe. But I think I'll re-do them with loctite so some jerk doesn't try to steal them.
How is the Audi coming along?

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yeah, repairs are a bummer. I like modding and upgrading, but straight replacement is a bummer. Just feels like work instead of a hobby.

I'm still playing with the truck when I can squeeze a few minutes in away from the baby. Just flashed a new tune for it! (My first OBD2 work.) Let's see how it runs now!

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

woody90gtz wrote:I like modding and upgrading, but straight replacement is a bummer. Just feels like work instead of a hobby.
I feel exactly the same way most of the time. When I get a new car that needs some simple repair, I don't necessarily mind because it helps to 'get to know' the vehicle. Sometimes it is nice to do a 'simple' repair too -I usually don't go the easy route with my projects, but occasionally it is nice to be reminded that wrenching can be easy and straight-forward.

Speaking of...
ifixalot wrote:How is the Audi coming along?
I haven't done much with it lately. I replaced the shredded tire and cut the torn flex-joint off of the exhaust pipe, I welded one end of the new joint in place and am waiting to get the car back in the air to align and weld-on the other half. I picked up a new welder to replace my little 120V hobby-welder of the last six or seven years -the wand broke after it kept jamming-, and the new one is a DC unit instead of the old AC. I am really impressed with it, the weld is much cleaner and easier to maintain a decent puddle. Unfortunately, three of the four studs holding the pipe to the turbo broke during removal (rusty hardware sucks -I still can't believe the stock exhaust I pulled from my '95 Z-26 had NO RUST even on the catalytic converter bolts!) but I've got some decent extractors, hopefully they will work with a generous soaking of PB Blaster. I've been dealing with my shop upgrades and being sick since the end of the Holidays, so I am really behind schedule right now.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I just had to replace the liner on my MIG a few months ago, and I did the nozzle and tip while I was at it. Had that thing since 07, and put probably 50lbs of wire through it...so that's pretty good for wear & tear. It was "birds nesting". Welds Beautiful again now.

Is yours gas or flux? 110 or 220?

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I've got a couple of each -the 120s are flux only, the new one of those is the DC. Both of my 240V welders are actual MIGs, but I generally use flux through them, so I don't have any concern over back-flowing shield gas into the pipe when I am doing relatively thin exhaust tubing. Also, flux penetrates better because it isn't losing any heat to the shield-gas blowing on it, and I've found it is less brittle for the same reason too. At some point though, I need to get set back up for aluminum, and I've never seen that with flux. ;) My old MIG is semi-dead, the wire-feed control board fried on it about eight years ago. I am contemplating cannibalizing the older 120V flux welder to fix it though, it worked great for me for years. I may also set it up with a pedal-control, it just hasn't been a priority. It will probably be my aluminum welder if/when I ever fix it and buy a bottle of the right gas, I may even just get a spool-gun for it in that case...

I really miss my oxy/acetylene rig though -a nice Victor torch and regulator set, I owned a set of decent-sized bottles for it too. :( That was some of what the arsonist used several years ago to start the fire that toasted the back of my old Camaro and my Z-26, destroyed one of my 300ZXs and my old ZX-11, among other things. Glad it didn't take the house out with it but the fire was spreading that way... :x Where I lived at the time, stopping an arsonist attempting to burn-down a dwelling was something a home-owner was legally allowed to use deadly force over -I wasn't home at the time. =@

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Jesus christ man! That's a story I hadn't heard.

Somebody needs to get in touch with you about doing a documentary...

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Mkweaver1958

Post by Mkweaver1958 »

Last night I replaced the blower motor.
Its been making noise for quite awhile and I just got tired of listening to it.
Recently washed, buffed and polished my Indy so my wife could drive a clean shiny car while her FORD is back in the shop again for the umpteenth time.
The Indy still looks good and makes me smile knowing its been in the family since new.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I got a peek at my car last weekend when I went to my dad's shop. The weather has been decent lately...maybe I'll get it out of hibernation early this year. It does get better fuel mileage than the 8.1. Haha

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

Mkweaver1958 wrote:Last night I replaced the blower motor.
Its been making noise for quite awhile and I just got tired of listening to it.
Recently washed, buffed and polished my Indy so my wife could drive a clean shiny car while her FORD is back in the shop again for the umpteenth time.
The Indy still looks good and makes me smile knowing its been in the family since new.
I've done the following twice with squeaky fan motors. I drill a .070 hole in the bearing "bump", on top in the angle area. Then I put some oil in there.
I did it to the wife's 85 Buick and I did this last week to my mini van. It's not a matter of money or too lazy to change the motor, it's just a quick fix because the squeaking drives me nuts.
So far on two motors, it's quiets them right down. How it'll last? I don't know.

Macaire100

Post by Macaire100 »

DTMAce wrote:That reminds me. I also took this picture at WallyWorld.

Rachat de crédit meilleur taux crédit
Yes, its a 94 base. How do I know? Same color as mine.

It is beat to piss. Paint faded, peeling, headliner all sagging down, mirror busted on pass side, fender and hood tweaked, headlights were even knocked askew, you could see the dash is all peeled and warped, the seats were torn, the car was basically trash waiting for the pickup.

And sadly, I got to see its owner. Rather heavy set woman, throws her packages through the window, climbed in and took off. Several people though noticed the two cars, one being all pretty facing one that was nearly junk.

Sad.
I have also seen this photo elsewhere ?!
i don't know if you are the same one who shared it

Macaire100

Post by Macaire100 »

Rettax3 wrote:I've got a couple of each -the 120s are flux only, the new one of those is the DC. Both of my 240V welders are actual MIGs, but I generally use flux through them, so I don't have any concern over back-flowing shield gas into the pipe when I am doing relatively thin exhaust tubing. Also, flux penetrates better because it isn't losing any heat to the shield-gas blowing on it, and I've found it is less brittle for the same reason too. At some point though, I need to get set back up for aluminum, and I've never seen that with flux. ;) My old MIG is semi-dead, the wire-feed control board fried on it about eight years ago. I am contemplating cannibalizing the older 120V flux welder to fix it though, it worked great for me for years. I may also set it up with a pedal-control, it just hasn't been a priority. It will probably be my aluminum welder if/when I ever fix it and buy a bottle of the right gas, I may even just get a spool-gun for it in that case...

I really miss my oxy/acetylene rig though -a nice Victor torch and regulator set, I owned a set of decent-sized bottles for it too. :( That was some of what the arsonist used several years ago to start the fire that toasted the back of my old Camaro and my Z-26, destroyed one of my 300ZXs and my old ZX-11, among other things. Glad it didn't take the house out with it but the fire was spreading that way... :x Where I lived at the time, stopping an arsonist attempting to burn-down a dwelling was something a home-owner was legally allowed to use deadly force over -I wasn't home at the time. =@
Say why you say the 120 are just flows

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Macaire100 wrote:
Rettax3 wrote:I've got a couple of each -the 120s are flux only, the new one of those is the DC.
Say why you say the 120 are just flows
??? :unknown: Not sure what or why you are asking... The 'flux only' welders have no provisions for shield-gas, i.e. no switched gas valve or shield-gas line to the nozzle. 120 Volt welders with gas capability are less common and more expensive, 240 Volt welders with shield-gas capability (actual MIG welders) are the norm. Both of my 120V welders are 'flux only', because the only wire they can effectively use are flux-cored self-shielding wire. I hope that answered your question...

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26