r12 to r134a convertion...? Is this even factory...??

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
zBusterCB87

Re: r12 to r134a convertion...? Is this even factory...??

Post by zBusterCB87 »

Sorry to bump this, but its already on top in front so i guess it does not matter...

Vehicle I did procedure on:
1990 Chevrolet Beretta INDY
3.1L v6 - AUTO

I want to add a final post so if anyone is like me who needed the help, here is what I found just needs to be done.

I took apart my intake to be able to reach things from the top. Be careful the engine gets extremely hot, I burned my arm... Yah i know, fail

Tools/Parts needed:
-Auto Zone r-12 to r-134a retrofit Kit.
-r-12 to r-134a compatible PAG oil.
-XH-7/XH-6 or whatever it was r-134a compatible Accumulator.
-Some cans of r-134a.

My Procedure that worked:
1) Replaced accumulator with r-134a compatible desiccant accumulator, remember to add the proper amount of PAG (r-12 to r-134a conversion compatible found at advanced auto parts) oil.
2) Take the shrader valve out of the canister r-12 low side fill port.
3) Install a Low side R-134a fitting from "Auto Zone" (The retrofit fittings from advanced auto parts did not work, the low side fittings were too tall for some reason); install the fitting onto the r-12 low side fill port, tighten properly not to much, it is only aluminum/soft-ish steel, use thread sealer if there is none.
4) Now the accumulator job is done.
5) Take out one of the two sensors on the top of the High pressure side front passenger side of engine, and add an R-134a High side fitting in place of the sensor. (keep the sensor and the plug, because you will re-install them later).
6) Take an r-134a vacuum pump and vacuum all of the air/whatever else that you can get out of the vehicle's A/C system. (I found the shrader valve used under one of my sensors leaks slowly, be careful of this, I do not recommend changing the valve, just put the sensor back when done, it won't leak after the sensor is put back on, rubber seal).
7) Re-install the sensor you removed after you take the adapter fitting off, plug sensor back in.
8.) Connect a can of r-134a refrigerant to the low side fill port, put at-least 14 ounces (usually the whole can) into the A/C system. Take the can off your filler after you disconnect from A/C system and attach a new can, then re-attach to A/C low side fill port. (Do NOT start adding second, can yet, But LEAVE connected).
9) Start the engine, turn the A/C on inside the vehicle, blower on High.
10) go back to your attached can of r-134a (Hopefully left in a safe spot so it did not move when u started engine and left it alone). Start adding more r-134a while A/C compressor is running. Stay within the green zone on the gague that came with the kit.
11) Add refrigerant and use another can(s) if needed until the pressure is proper for low side. (Mine was just below 50 at engine idle, dropped to about 35-45 range when engine was at 3,000 or more RPM. do NOT exceed the 50/red line reading at engine idle!!
12) check for leaks, monitor the pressure for a bit while it is on, make sure it blows cold.
END

I hope this helps people with 2-12 Beretta to do it themselves, because a shop couldn't do anything right for me.

DISCLAIMER:
This is the steps I did, I'm not liable if you do the same, this is only my experience and what I learned.

WARNING:
To much pressure can damage A/C compressor.
Not enough Pressure can damage A/C compressor.

I did not change the orifice tube even though it was recomended to me to do so. (Mostly because I'm lazy and just wanted something to happen, for what all I been through/tried to do this past 2 weeks)...
But change it if you want.

Best of luck! :)
zBuster

PS: If I left anything out, or if some things need improved, please feel free to post, even if this thread is old, I'll see a notification, and I'll try and look when I have the time. :)

acron

Post by acron »

Hello,
I have a 88 Beretta with a V6. Seems like mine came without the high pressure port as well.
Here in Germany you can't by R134 like in the US you have to go through a certified garage to get the system charged and they need the high side port for R134.
Will these two sets from rockauto provide everythig I need?
For the correct valves:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/che ... +kit,13289?
To add a high side port:
https://www.rockauto.com/de/moreinfo.ph ... sz58XkM%3D
Thank you all in advance

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

The 13289 kit doesn't seem to have adapters, it looks like valves and caps only.
I had bought a kit from Interdynamics which had a screw on adapter to go from threaded type connector to the quick click type connector.
The high side kit looks like what you need to add a high side port. The cap is black and on my 94 van, the high side cap is black. Low side is blue.
You will also have to add PAG oil because the mineral oil in r12 system won't flow properly.