Experience with Dash Caps?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
mouseman

Experience with Dash Caps?

Post by mouseman »

The dash on my 90 Indy is in really bad shape and finding a replacement dash is starting to look impossible from a cost/availability standpoint.

Does anyone have experience using those dash caps (overlays) I see advertised from time to time on eBay? These are not the carpet ones, but the plastic ones.

What happened and how long has it held-up?

themadness

Re: Experience with Dash Caps?

Post by themadness »

i havent used one since they arent made for my 94. i had a local auto upholstery guy tell me that if the dash is warped that it will eventually warp too. with the carpet deals you can cut away the bad stuff. not sure if you can do that with the caps tho, since they have to be glued down.

mouseman

Post by mouseman »

That's what I fear happening......I just cannot embrace the carpet thing, it's too 70s for me.

themadness

Post by themadness »

i have a velour(red) one that matches fairly close. if you have grey you have way more choices in materials that dont look like the g-funk era. its a cheaper option as well. i have seen some that have been fiber glassed but thats an intense project.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Shag is awesome!

Clicky!

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

With the plastic overlays one would think that you can cut out the warped areas as well. I cut the warped spots out of my dash and then used a dashmat.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
bulldog

Post by bulldog »

I checked out a cap from the place who did my headliner. He wanted $140 for it painted to match and installed. Not bad, IMO, However mine is a daily driver. We currently have a carpet mat on the dash to hide the imperfections. It does the job.

mouseman

Post by mouseman »

I'm leaning towards a cap at this point.....just kinda hard to believe so many I've seen in the yards are so bad. Haven't seen a new dash in some time...running out of options.

Appreciate all the great ideas everyone is sharing.

Afraid this is going to happen when I try to replace the door panels.

2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

I posted this in another topic like a week ago, but here ya go, just in case you go that route.
http://www.andysautosport.com/chevrolet ... /coverlay/
I have never purchased anything from this site before, but it's the only place I can find them, hopefully they are legit.
This is a cap also I believe, If I'm wrong please correct me, and sorry.
http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8943

1994 AQUA ZED
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

yes the instructions that come with the hard cap (well semi hard, it's thin and slightly moldable), say to cut out the damaged areas, but not too low, you need support under the thin new top.

there was somebody with a perfect red GTU that posted not too long ago, he did a really nice job on the cap on his. you can see in his photos it is noticeable around the switches and speakers, but not nearly as bad as a cracked and warped dash

they are a fair price (near $100 shipped on ebay, and around the net, coverlay i think is the company), for the quality look. usually available in black, and they have a slight textured/gritty surface.

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks