Spark plug removal

Frequently Asked Questions

Spark plug removal

Post by Guest »

Anyone know the "Trick" to getting at the back plugs on my '96Z 3100? Last time it took me 3 hours...
Thanks in advance!

Spark plug removal

Post by Guest »

a long extension...2 elbows...and some luck...

this time around i switched to rapidfires while the engine was out

Spark plug removal

Post by Guest »

I had read something at one time about disconnecting the exhaust, removing a motor mount, and you could "rock" the motor away from the firewall. Can't seem to find this info again... *sigh*

wicked-irocz

Spark plug removal

Post by wicked-irocz »

different lengths of extensions and some fenageling(probably wrong spelling)

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo

Spark plug removal

Post by Guest »

A short stubby rachet. I don't have a problem anymore with changing my back plugs. Please make sure the hand tighten the plugs upon installation.

96BlackRoseZ26

Spark plug removal

Post by 96BlackRoseZ26 »

I found it MUCH simpler to just remove the coils, the vaccuum switch, and solenoid that are held on by the coil bracket.  Once those were out of the way, the hand fits SO much nicer back in there.  It's only 4 bolts that hold that all on and the switch and solenoid just unplug from their cables and hoses.

Have you ever felt like you were flying, but didn't have wings?

Jerry Bickley
02 Navy Blue Metallic Monte Carlo SS
3800 V6/4-Speed Auto

Spark plug removal

Post by Guest »

I found it is also helpfull to pull the alternator out for more space.  This lets you get a better reach to the plugs.  Thank the car gods for Platinum plugs.

Spark plug removal

Post by Guest »

I used the "Rock" method with my 89 Grand PRix 2.8. Works. Would anyone suggest for me to change to double platinum once i get back there?

I also suggest the hand tighten method. I screwed up many threads by not doing it. Also can use an old spark plug boot.

gar187er

Spark plug removal

Post by gar187er »

unless your boot wont come off!!! hehehe i had an old boot fall apart on me back there, not fun, but i got a 3.1.....

what i did was jack up the engine a few inches...put a block of wood under the tranny and raise that thing up a few to give you a better angle to work at....

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
6r8ph1X

Spark plug removal

Post by 6r8ph1X »

I didn't replace my plugs this way but i did do my wires when i got some msd ones, What i did was climbed up onto my motor and sat on my knees under my hood on the intake plenum    It worked but it was a pain in the @ss!! Id imagine you could do the plugs the same way but don't quote me on it.

1993 Beretta GT, FX Designs Body Kit, Ram Air hood, 3.1 MPFI 3 Speed, 90,000 miles
1996 Beretta Base, GTU conversion, 3400sfi with less than 100,000 miles   ==  Traded
speedygtz

Spark plug removal

Post by speedygtz »

all i did, was put the car in park, push it backwards with my foot and the door open while in park, you have a little bit of slack in the park gear, push it back, yank up the ebrake, this gives you like 2-3 more inches under the hood between the motor and firewall, also prevents motor rocking....

the z26 is on the road!
mustangman70

Spark plug removal

Post by mustangman70 »

(6r8ph1X @ Feb. 27 2008,14:48)QUOTEWhat i did was climbed up onto my motor and sat on my knees under my hood on the intake plenum  
lol thats what i do also.

That and a couple extensions and a swivel...

1989 beretta- 2.8 auto future plans include either a 3800 SC 5 speed swap or an LS1 6 speed RWD conversion....

speedygtz

Spark plug removal

Post by speedygtz »

(mustangman70 @ Feb. 27 2008,15:26)QUOTE
(6r8ph1X @ Feb. 27 2008,14:48)QUOTEWhat i did was climbed up onto my motor and sat on my knees under my hood on the intake plenum ÂÂÂ
lol thats what i do also.

That and a couple extensions and a swivel...
i would do that, but i cant seem to stop breaking my dam swivals.... and i break the rachets too on my cars, there craftsman to top it off,so i get replacements free, but come on... just the other day i went to take the alt off my j body and broke the brand new 15mm wratcheting wrench, it was my dads, he just looked at me like...

the z26 is on the road!
mustangman70

Spark plug removal

Post by mustangman70 »

Yah i know that broken tool look...its a one of a kind look lol

1989 beretta- 2.8 auto future plans include either a 3800 SC 5 speed swap or an LS1 6 speed RWD conversion....

kdm88gt
Location: currently stationed in germany, but moving back to washington state.

Spark plug removal

Post by kdm88gt »

i have a 2.8 but all i did was have extensions, swivel, patience and cuts. havnt tried the rock method or sitting on it. guess ill give it a try when i get to my car. lol

1988 beretta gt 2.8, stock with the digital dash, no mods yet