What oil filter do you use?

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Guest »

Everything you ever wanted to know about oil filters.

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK....dy.html

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

my car always gets ac delco oil filters p52's, i guess that wasnt such a bad choice... I've also had a few Motorcraft filters on there also (fl-402).

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
Canada

Post by Canada »

I think BIGBULS went off about oil filters one day and posted that link as well. Either way, it is a very good link and the guy did a very good job on his research and stuff.

I use ACDelco PF47, I tried the taller PF52, but because I live in Iowa with random big things in the road, I decided to stay with the stock filter. With that filter, I use Mobil 1 oil. I could switch to the more expensive K&N or Mobil 1 filters (I can seem to find a PureOne filter around here), but I don't care that much about my engine....I guess I want a 3400....sometime.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

i've found they dont stick that far down, and they arent longer than the oil pan, so i'll stick with more filtering capabilities...  Also did you know using syntethic oil can give you a slight horsepower increase???  Less friction = more horses...  That is another reason why I love the 3400's... roller rockers ;)  
In my engines class we dynoedour 350's, they were edelbrock performer series heads, intake, cam, 550 carb, headers, full on roller rockers, pistions, rods. they dynoed around 425-450 hp at the crank, of course with race gas. we wanted to try synthetic oil and regular oil. synthetic oil proved to gain 5-10 hp over regular oil. And also just adding the roller rocker 1.7 ratio added 40 hp at the crank, this is versus stock 1985 350 chevy camaro...

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
Canada

Post by Canada »

Yup, yet another reason to switch to Mobil 1. Although, if your motor has a lot of miles (100k+) then you may not want to switch. Beings that it is a "thinner" oil, it will also seep past seals and such. I saw the light and switch around 80k and have had no troubles.

All I had was a slight corner of the filter that stuck past the cradle rails.....nothing much. But, I do hit stuff and with Eibach springs, I am a bit lower.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Post by Guest »

My dealer installed a PF52 once when the car was in for warranty work.  I didn't know if they were using the big filter on purpose, or if the guy just grabbed whatever was handy.  I probably should have asked; maybe there was a TSB which specified the bigger filters....  Other than that I've been using PF47s or PF45s (which was the predecessor of the PF47).

Quad4_72

Post by Quad4_72 »

Only K&N for me!

Dan Hutson                                                                       1990 GTZ

Mods: Stage 3 spec clutch, 8lb billet aluminum flywheel, glasspack, milled head

FOR SALE

Post by Guest »

when I was in tech school in engine class we built stock 351 windsor motor, filled it with Castrol syntec, ran it for an hour, and drained the oil out of it. Once drained we restarted it with no oil in it. WE were video taping it so we could mail it to Castrol and they could see if blowing up peoving their claims false. I even brought a catchers mit to catch flying parts.Would you believ that fter 2 hours that thing was still running--no oil it it at all. WE shut it off,filled it with oil, and it was quiet with good oil pressure. Next day tore it apart and there was no wear at all. I swear by the stuff now!

Post by Guest »

That guy did a nice copy and paste off the original page........

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Go between the two pages and tell me which is the original?

88GTRacer

Post by 88GTRacer »

I currently use ACDelco PF47 but, in the past I used K&N HP-1001.  88GTRacer

"It is one of the most beautiful shapes on the road. Aero, alluring and very aggressive.
It is a Beretta, the new performance coupe from Chevrolet."
tweekster64

Post by tweekster64 »

Fram or Autolite work for me, they are somewhat cheaper than the AC Delco's in this area...........  215,4xx miles, I ain't picky anymore........

1991 Ford F150 Lariat XLT ext cab-short box
1990 Lincoln Town Car
   I'll have another Beretta someday
88redberettaGT

Post by 88redberettaGT »

wait wait the whole lets run an engine without oil will hold true for most low rev older v8s why? simple really the internal tolerances of the engine allow for alot of slop and a big ol pillow of oil between metal parts... plus a big motor making low power doesnt produce alot of heat therefore breakdown doesnt happen as fast...

now the test we did in hish school auto tech was with a pair of chevy cavilier donated from the local salvage yard, each newer, with the four cylinder and still running, both wear drained one filled with regular valvoline, the other valvoline syntec, now they were run until they were up to temp, all at idle, then we cut the water hoses (as this is the true test of an oils capability against friction and heat) running the engines again, still running after almost an hour my brave soul crept undedr the cars and drained the incredibly hot oil from the regular valvoline, and the not so hot but still burn you to hell and back syntec... almost immediately after the restart which the syntec cavy wouldnt stay running until i yanked the oil pressure sensor...the reg cavy started with valvetrain rattle, and about five minutes in at a dead idle began to smoke pretty bad, i think it was knocking too... the syntec car started valvetrain rattle but never got past it until we started driving it around the parking lot it threw a rod without warning.  so dont say synthetic is the ultimate oil, it is what it is not a super oil, it does however vastly increase the life of an almost wore out motor (such as older berettas or high mileage cars, i ran synthetic in my gt and it was still running at 298,000 miles, cant say the same for the rest of the car (why cant they make better tranny fluid) or havent i seen it?

yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

Just throwing this out here:  My Cessna 150 [small 200cu in. general aviation CERTIFIED aircraft] has been operating since 1975 using a screen, probably 4x as fine as a screen you find in your house windows.  Take 4 screens and stagger them on top of each other...
What is my point?  I'm just putting this on the table because I've been away from the list for a while, and this is the first thing that caught my eye. The oil is changed [and don't get me started-I'm on the car people side!-, no synthetics allowed! ashless dispersant is used - MINERAL OIL] oil is changed every 50hours in the 5qt capacity.  The oil filter looks like the car filters, only the case is held in place on the airplane.  The screen pulls out and is inspected and cleaned, then replaced.  The time between engine rebuilds is 200,000 to 300,000 miles [time is really kept in hours], so not much different. ÂÂÂ
Paper filters can be added, as an oil filter system conversion, onto the plane, and this changes the oil change to 100hrs and the filter is replaced every 50hrs.
ÂÂÂ

Post by Guest »

ac delco

Post by Guest »

I use Ac Delco with Pennzoil