Testing fuel injectors

Frequently Asked Questions
berettajeep

Testing fuel injectors

Post by berettajeep »

Is there a way to test the fuel injectors on a 2.8 ?
As you may or may not know you need to remove the Intake Plenum to get to 4 of the 6 injectors. So its not like I can run the car and remove an injector wire to see if there is a change in RPM's.
Any help please.

beretta is gone. -sigh-
berettajeep

Testing fuel injectors

Post by berettajeep »

After searching the web I found something by Roy, BAT Auto Technical.
Any who I checked at the injector 4 plug connector for resistance. The A & B terminal showed nothing and the B & C terminal showed 4.3 ohms.
So I started my car til the fan kicked on.I then turned the car off, and removed the Intake Plenum to check each fuel injector.
Here are the results:

Cylinder #1 injector =  13.0 ohms
          #2            =   12.4 ohms
          #3            =   11.0 ohms
          #4            =   12.6 ohms
          #5            =     5.5 ohms
          #6            =    12.1 ohms

As you can see #5 sucked and #3 was a little low, but #1 was a tad higher. Those all share the same parallel circuit,the A & B one.

beretta is gone. -sigh-
berettajeep

Testing fuel injectors

Post by berettajeep »

just called Auto Zone  $50 dollars each for injectors

An EGR is either $31. or $119  they need the O.E. #'s
(while running the car earlier I removed the air line going to the EGR and I had very smooth acceleration plus I wanted to check the vaccum there. And I checked how much vaccum operates the EGR. and it was not in check with the service manual, Maybe there is a pin hole or something. There is 200,000+ miles on it, so I figured why not replace it)

beretta is gone. -sigh-

Testing fuel injectors

Post by Guest »

Detailed instructions:
Plenum Removal and Injector Testing Procedure
This is an acrobat file. Please forgive the quality of the photos. I did the best I could with the car assembled and operational. Hopefully this will help.

88redberettaGT

Testing fuel injectors

Post by 88redberettaGT »

injector 5 is bad, its at the least weak requiring too much juice to operate which takes away from its mated injector.  The only solution is to replace it, clean all the electrical connectors, the injectors should recieve new o rings for the manifold and be cleaned (carb dip for the bottom (pintle area) of the injector.

Testing fuel injectors

Post by Guest »

what about testing for the quad coils?  I know they are supposed to have a different resistance.