1991 gtz

Frequently Asked Questions

1991 gtz

Post by Guest »

Hello,

I was wondering what would it cost to fix the head gasket on a 1990 GTZ Quad 4?

Also does anyone know who I would talk to about finding the cost of shipping a car? I found a 1990 GTZ in Vancouver that needs a head gasket and was wondering if I would be better off to ship it up here, or have it fixed down there, if I was to buy it?

He only wants $750 for it, and it has a brand new clutch that was installed only hours before the head gasket went!

ITS A 1990 NOT A 1991... sorry

-Mark

1991 gtz

Post by Guest »

buy a haynes manuel and fix it yourself...it's not as hard as you think...if a shop did it i would expect a bill of about 1000...

1991 gtz

Post by Guest »

Yes but Im not that "car smart" lol... Even at a $1000 that means the whole car would only cost me $1750 Thats not to bad at all!!

1991 gtz

Post by Guest »

yes, but what he is saying is the manual will have step by step instructions, that basically anyone could do. Wouldnt having the whole car for $750 be alot nicer then $1750? Think about the good things you could do with that extra $1000

stang&2Birds

1991 gtz

Post by stang&2Birds »

If you do it:  ~$200->$400
Local garage: ~$1100
Dealer: ~$1800

Joe -- 94 Olds Achieva Quad 4 HO ; 92 Olds Achieva Quad 4 SOHC; '69 Firebird 350 ; '77 Olds Cutlass (Yes, I have *4* GM cars. ).  86 TBird & 86 Mustang GT with Cobra brakes & ABS.
FREE Pace Calculator program for running/walking/etc

1991 gtz

Post by Guest »

The cost is so high because shop time on this is 12 hours.  I say do it yourself because you'll learn a LOT.  Best way to learn is to jump right into it.

-Jeff P.
'88 Beretta GT
'89 Beretta GT
'91 Beretta GT
'01 Bonneville SSEi

rweatherford

1991 gtz

Post by rweatherford »

I could do it for about $40.  But that is the CHEAPEST you could get off.  Otherwise the $150 american is the cheapest.  Depends on the gasket kit you need.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

1991 gtz

Post by Guest »

Thank you for the insight, what kind of tools would I need?

Im still waiting to hear back from the guy as to the shape of the rest of the car. If it is good I think I will be getting it, but my only problem is that the car is located a good 12 Hour drive from my house, so I would either have to have the work done at a shop down their or ship it home. So I would have to weigh the cost of shipping it home, vs, the cost of having someone do the work.

stang&2Birds

1991 gtz

Post by stang&2Birds »

I thought that the shop time was 20 hrs?

The basic gasket set is ~$100. ÂÂÂ If you are going to keep the car (past 1 week), then you MUST get NEW head bolts. ÂÂÂ I got mine from Advanced Auto (?$25?).  With tools, gaskets, etc, like I said, $200->$400.

The BIG problem is that the bolt holes often strip in the cheap @### alum that GM used for the heads.  The cam cover and tower bolt into the head.  Those POS holes strip if you breath too hard.   See: http://www.veryuseful.com/GM/tech/heliC ... index.html

Someone suggested the GREAT idea of DRAINING the lifters before you put them back in.  

Also, I don't want to get into a p*ssing contest here, but get a NEW head gasket from **GM**.  It's TENS TIME BETTER than ANY OTHER gasket out there.  I'm talking about getting a NEW head gasket from GM not one that was made in 1990.  So, unless you've seen the mid 90's replacement head gasket from GM, then KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF!

Heck, compare ANY GM gasket to ANY aftermarket gasket.  Compare even the thermostat gaskets.  People talk about stuff and don't even do the BASIC leg work.  They believe ALL THE BS they read on the forums and by companies that want to SELL you STUFF.
ÂÂÂ

For a quick insight on a head gasket R&R:
http://www.veryuseful.com/GM/tech/headGasketTemp/

BTW:  I've been working on cars for over 15 years, I've done 5 solo rebuilds, I've helped on many others, my t-bird engine rebuild has over 150K miles on it and still runs and smog tests like NEW!

Joe -- 94 Olds Achieva Quad 4 HO ; 92 Olds Achieva Quad 4 SOHC; '69 Firebird 350 ; '77 Olds Cutlass (Yes, I have *4* GM cars. ).  86 TBird & 86 Mustang GT with Cobra brakes & ABS.
FREE Pace Calculator program for running/walking/etc
rjc333

1991 gtz

Post by rjc333 »

I thought Fel-Pro was a respectable name for gaskets?

1992 Beretta GTZ; 3.1 V6 auto (depressing, really....)

1991 Beretta GTZ; Quad4 5-spd (gone to auto heaven)