The 2020 Beretta.Net Calendar Is Now Taking Submissions!

Announce an event, topic or get together that might affect everyone
Styluss
Global Moderator

The 2020 Beretta.Net Calendar Is Now Taking Submissions!

Post by Styluss »

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? It's September already?? Where did 2019 go? I guess I had better get the ball rolling on the 2020 Beretta.Net calendar so we can have it ready for Christmas! For any newcomers to the community every year we take submissions and then vote as a community on which photos will be included in that year's calendar. So shine up that old girl and grab the camera before the weather sets in and get some great shots to submit for voting! I hope you've been paying attention to the reminders I've given you in the last few months and this isn't a surprise to you.

There are always some minor exceptions, but these are the general guidelines we've gathered over the years for this:

Submissions:
Send all submissions to: Stylusskid@msn.com - This is the ONLY way to submit a photo and I'll be sure to write back to let you know I got it. Please include your member name, your real name and location (city/state) when submitting your photo. Also, please include what you would like your car listed as; model, year, engine, transmission, etc. The minimum to be included is the year, model and engine. There is a limit though so if you give me your car's life story it will be whittled down to the prior mentioned info. I will not chase after you for information so if you don't include something, or don't even say anything well, nothing will be included. It's on you to provide the information you would like included!

If you own two Berettas you may submit them both either in the same photo or two separate photos. While we prefer you submit a photo of a car you currently own, prior owned vehicles are also okay for submission. Please only submit cars you have owned, no faking the funk here son. See the note below about how voting & winning would work for multiple submissions from the same member.

Submissions will be accepted starting now and through October 1st at midnight MDT. I must have a minimum of 12 (duh!) good pictures to make this work, so everybody get out there and shoot! You're welcome to change your submission at any time... just e-mail me a different picture and notify me of the change. Everybody get out there and shoot! Remember, Corsicas are more than welcome as well but you keep that Cavalier to yourself you heathen.

Voting:
Voting will commence on Monday, October 14th and will end on Sunday, October 27th at Midnight MST. This will give Woody and I enough time to get it all sorted out, edited and complete for ordering in time for Christmas! If you submit two or more different cars to be voted on and two or more of them win, only the car with the highest votes will be included in the calendar. You bastards with like six of these things don't need to be cloggin' up this calendar! And yes, I know that includes me... With that said you may be best to only enter one photo so it can grab more votes!

Submissions Tips & Tricks:
REMEMBER, we're a mighty picky group these days... This photo should be top notch!
Here are a few pointers from numerous members over the last few years. Honestly, if your photo isn't up to snuff I'll reject it. A rejection will only come from a sizing or quality issue as once formatted for the calendar any low res photos will absolutely look like crap. This includes washed out photos and ones that are too dark. I'm no professional at Photoshop and even it can only do so much so don't scrimp on your photo quality. Here's some tips on taking the perfect photo.

- Location. Pick somewhere unique and exciting! Your driveway doesn't cut it. I've shot in front of a mansion, I've seen photos snapped in warehouses, even one of a car driving through a large puddle and one of a car being raced at an Autocross.
- Lighting. Early or late in the day is best for natural light. Midday sun is flat and doesn't provide much shadow or detail. Colors get washed out. Unless you really know what you're doing don't shoot the shaded side of the car!
- Color. This goes along with lighting; washed out pictures are lame-o. Vivid colors = excitement!
- Get rid of the junk. Crop out or use Photoshop to remove distractions. There are several members that can help with this but please note we're not Photoshop Gods. I can assist a bit and if you would like something specific done just mention it when you submit your photo. But better yet, just don't take a photo somewhere there's a bunch of crap in the background as it is! Your car should be the focus.
- Get closer! But not too close... You're taking a picture of the car, not all the crap around it. Unless you're trying to show the scale of the scenery, get close and show us the car! Plus too much random stuff in the background will not help you. People, pets, other cars, trash...
- Mergers. Watch out for for two or more objects overlapping... such as a light pole coming out the hood of your car.
- Clouds are your friend. Clear skies may be great for going to the beach, but your pictures will be more interesting with clouds.
- Angles. Get high up or low to the ground. If you take a picture of a car from standing height, it's probably going to look like any other snapshot.
- Cropping. Take note that the uploading of the photo into calendar format will knock off a bit of the edges of the photo. Make sure the entire car is in the picture with good room to spare on the edges or you may get cut off if you make it in the calendar. If you're worried, take the pic you want then step back two feet and take it again.
- Photo Quality. Dude, that old bar phone from 1996 isn't going to cut it. We have image size and resolution requirements that are posted below. Get with the program.
- Pictures must be of high quality. Cropped to 8.5x11 at 300 dpi, or 1280x800 resolution minimum. Better yet, just set your camera to the highest quality it can take and submit that. Any pictures with insufficient resolution will be rejected and the member will be notified. It is 2019 and everybody should have a decent camera nowadays of at least 5 Megapixels.

As always, I'm more than happy to completely rip apart, I mean... critique your submission if you would like some thoughts from a 9 time calendar winner! I'll be editing every submission to have a similar look so the calendar flows together nicely. This will be very basic color and contrast adjustments to make the photos pop a tad.

Let's do it! I expect to have A LOT MORE submissions to choose from this year with the reasonable growth the community has seen. So, get at it!

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car