Back pressure

Archived topics from the Exhaust Forum

Back pressure

Post by Guest »

Someone please correnct me if i am wrong, but I was always led to believe that these motors that we have (especcially the 4 cyl) required a certain amount of back pressure from the exhaust. Im looking to go right through the exhaust on my '92 GTZ and I wanted to know if taking out the cat and going with a 2.25 piping with a new downpipe would work well on the quad 4 setup. (Dont kow that much about the exhaust side....)

gar187er

Back pressure

Post by gar187er »

UH OH!!! some one said the B-word!!!!!  

im not even going to comment on that word

....the 2.25" and a new downpipe(possibly 2.5") is the best setup for the Q4's.....removing a cat is an option if you dont have strict emissions where you live.....

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!

Back pressure

Post by Guest »

what B-word.... backpressure???

Canada

Back pressure

Post by Canada »

backpressure is the devil, just dont go to large of a diameter of pipe and you will lose velocity in the exhaust gas and the cylinder wont empty as well

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Back pressure

Post by Guest »

yeah, there is zero emmisions testing in NH, so im all set there. Would that help out much, by removing the cat?

rweatherford

Back pressure

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (kev415 @ May 18 2002,11:37)yeah, there is zero emmisions testing in NH, so im all set there. Would that help out much, by removing the cat?
Remove the stock cat if you are going to go with 2.25 or 2.5 inch exhaust.

You should also port your exhaust manifold collector and flange at the downpipe to match the exhaust size.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

90BerettaGTZ

Back pressure

Post by 90BerettaGTZ »

i agree with Rex but ill add that you should go with the 2.5 with mandrel bends. 2.5 is fine for the quad, i felt gains all the way down to 2500 rpm and anything over 4800 rpm ALOT more pronounced. i did however put a high flow cat back on just cause i like breathing.

Back pressure

Post by Guest »

how do these gains compare to any gains i would get with the 2.25?

Back pressure

Post by Guest »

mandrell bent 2.25 inch pipe flows better than 2.5 inch regular crimp bending does.  I bought mandrell bends from jegs in 2.5 inch and modified my flange to 2.5 inch, with a smooth transition, like rex's, then 2.5 inch cat and then 2.25 mandrell all the way back, gas welded, ill have new quarter mile times soon,

Kevskate99

Back pressure

Post by Kevskate99 »

Hey Kev, where do you live? I live in Nashua and travel on 101 everyweekend and I'm going to mt monadnock this weekend probably. I travel everywhere from lakes region-south all the time. BTW my name is Kevin also.  

Oh yeah, Did you hear about the motorcycle accident in greenland on friday night? If you did I witnessed it the guy died instantly. I was the 2nd car behind the car that got hit head on. the guys brains and guts and crap were all over the road. I was like 10ft from the guy.

Here's a link.

http://www.exeternewsletter.com/news/05 ... s/5176.htm

Back pressure

Post by Guest »

yeah, i did hear about that accident, its prety scary.
Anyways, i live in a little town called Northwood. I dont know If you have ever heard of Coe-Brown, but I went to High School there. Its about half way between concord and portsmouth, rt 4 runs straight through it. If you are ever in the area, stop in Heritage True Value and ask for me, we own the place.

Kevskate99

Back pressure

Post by Kevskate99 »

My g/f's step brother goes there I think. My g/fs dad lives right off route 28 in center barnstead. He live right off lock lake.

Back pressure

Post by Guest »

No kiddin'   small world!! I have a bunch of friends from barnstead, what's your g/f's dad's name, I prolly know him!!

Kevskate99

Back pressure

Post by Kevskate99 »

He just moved there. My g/f lives in Exeter with her mom. But her dad's name is Rod I won't say the last name since its on the board itself but he's been there for a year or so, His stepson's name (I think he goes to coe brown) is Dustin I don't remember his last name though so I couldn't tell you either way. He lives right down the road from the Alton circle. I always end up going to the country store off 28 to get food when I spend the weekend up there. I'm actually going next weekend not this weekend but the one after. Send me an E-mail at Kevskate99@hotmail.com Maybe if you don't live to far from the Mcdonalds in the Alton Circle we could meet up there, since I'll be like 15 mins down the road from there.  

gar187er

Back pressure

Post by gar187er »

**cough cough** off topic **cough cough**

PM each other if you two wanna meet up, k?  

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!