3" exhuast

Archived topics from the Exhaust Forum

3" exhuast

Post by Guest »

Yes I said it, 3" exhuast. Would there be any gains or loss in a 3" exhuast. My car is not stock any more and Im running N2o. I'm planning on adding a turbo on down the road. So should I get a 2.5" or go ahead and get a BIG 3"er. I would love to have a 3" exhuast for the sound, but I done want to lose power. Fill me in.

3" exhuast

Post by Guest »

Bryan, personally I'd go with the 2.25 until I get the turbo. Then I'd modify to the 3.0. However if you run a lot of N20. Like street race everyday to and from work...then I'd go with the 2.5. This is just my opinion though. Hope it helps.  Adam

Chris88CL

3" exhuast

Post by Chris88CL »

I'd have to agree.  Until you get a turbo stick with 2.25in exhaust.  Even with nitrous you wont see much of a gain with 2.5in.  And even with a turbo im not sure I'd go with 3".  You'll lose alot of torque down low with a 3" exhaust system and the quad doesnt have any to spare.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

rweatherford

3" exhuast

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (Kiloali @ Jan. 27 2002,10:38)Yes I said it, 3" exhuast. Would there be any gains or loss in a 3" exhuast. My car is not stock any more and Im running N2o. I'm planning on adding a turbo on down the road. So should I get a 2.5" or go ahead and get a BIG 3"er. I would love to have a 3" exhuast for the sound, but I done want to lose power. Fill me in.
I'd go with 2.5...  But what do i know.  ;^)

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

3" exhuast

Post by Guest »

I would go with nothing higher than 2.5 but would stay with the 2.25.  Definitely not 3 in.  Thats a stretch even with my 454 in my chevelle.

3" exhuast

Post by Guest »

Stick with the 2.5" if you're going to turbo your Quad.

gar187er

3" exhuast

Post by gar187er »

id also say 2.5", but you could be different and get the 3", yes you would lose a little now, but once you do get your turbo in, you pick it right back up....you could run the n2o to make up for the turbo lag  

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
CoolZ26

3" exhuast

Post by CoolZ26 »

Stay with the 2.5 even while you have the turbo.  You'll be able to tell sound wise if its restrictive.  It shouldn't be.  Since you'll be running a turbo, and i'm assuming its a smaller turbo, you could use a small shot, but turbo lag would not be that much of a factor.  Also, your hp and tq curves will jump and be very steep once it spools. ÂÂÂ

Also, what are the trim specs on the turbo's exhuast and intake sides?

'04 RSX Type S
14.2@99mph w/ horrible 60'
Injen CAI
Hondata ECU reflash
Hondata IMG
Greddy EVO 2 exhaust
DC Raceheader
ESMM
Eibach Sportlines
AIM= andy4483

3" exhuast

Post by Guest »

Plus, you also have to remeber, there's a little thing called back pressure. You're gonna LOSE power if you go with the 3".....

rweatherford

3" exhuast

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (BluBalz @ Jan. 29 2002,12:38)Plus, you also have to remeber, there's a little thing called back pressure. You're gonna LOSE power if you go with the 3".....
It's not the backpressure..  It's velocity...  Believe me my exhaust has no backpressure...

If you heard it you would know...  

Rex Weatherford

3" exhuast

Post by Guest »

On some engines, you NEED backpressure. Im no mechanic, but I have read a LOT of stuff on it, and apparently you need back pressure to make horsepower. I dont really remember why, but Im sure if I look at some of my old magazines, then I can find out.

rweatherford

3" exhuast

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (BluBalz @ Jan. 30 2002,07:48)On some engines, you NEED backpressure. Im no mechanic, but I have read a LOT of stuff on it, and apparently you need back pressure to make horsepower. I dont really remember why, but Im sure if I look at some of my old magazines, then I can find out.
I'll respectfully disagree about the backpressure.  You never need it.

You need the correct velocity through the pipes to help exhaust scavanging.

I've heard this backpressure thing so many times I quit trying to argue about it and just let people go on thinking what they are determined to think...

Rex Weatherford

3" exhuast

Post by Guest »

Actually you really do need back pressure thats exactly why our race car dropped back in the one race when the Headers fell off we were losing Power.  It is really key.  Thats the reason why you have to be sure not to have to big of an exhaust.  Trust me.

3" exhuast

Post by Guest »

Thats ok, I'm really used to people being jack-#####. If they want to conitinue to be jack-#####, then I just let them go on thinking what they want to think....

(Hey, sound familiar?)

3" exhuast

Post by Guest »

If you need backpressure, why do imports have like 3inch exhausts?
I'm gonna have to agree with Rex on this one, I never bought the back pressure thing.