Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Archived topics from the Exhaust Forum

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

I have a 96 2.2 Base Beretta and am debating on installing dual exhausts on the car.  I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to go about this.  Do I just buy a cat back pipe and flip it over so it is the opposite the other and hook it to a y pipe off of the converter?  Any ideas suggestions anything?

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

I'm sorry, but I'm going to be the one who askes...How are you going to put dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder? Unless there is some header which splits and only goes to 2 cylinders, I don't see how it could be done. The 2.2 unless turbocharger or NOS'ed or somthing like that cannot possible have a need for dual exhaust. Now perhaps re-reading your message you mean you want dual exits or dual tips? Is that what you meant? If so, then I would not split the exhaust until after the muffler, then run one to each side...

98beretta kid

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by 98beretta kid »

Quote (Sean89GTU @ Mar. 17 2002,12:29)I'm sorry, but I'm going to be the one who askes...How are you going to put dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder? Unless there is some header which splits and only goes to 2 cylinders, I don't see how it could be done. The 2.2 unless turbocharger or NOS'ed or somthing like that cannot possible have a need for dual exhaust. Now perhaps re-reading your message you mean you want dual exits or dual tips? Is that what you meant? If so, then I would not split the exhaust until after the muffler, then run one to each side...
why would u split it after the muffler?? would the gas tank filler tube get in the way??

-Bryan

1989 Beretta GT (Money pit #1)
1996 GMC Sonoma (Money pit #2)
1993 GTZ ( Couldn't ask for a better Car)

The 3 reasons why I'm broke

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

What he suggest is similar to the Camaro setup where there are two tip out of a single center muffler.  
I'm doing a dual dragger setup soon (for look and a non existent sound )and the way to do mine is to split it using Y-separator after the rear axel(?).  Of course i'll need a new exhaust hanger for the right side but they are available.

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

Hey it can be done with a little bit of good craftmanship.

This is my 2.0 with a dual stainless steel setup.

Gert  

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

Quote (Gert @ Mar. 18 2002,11:51)Hey it can be done with a little bit of good craftmanship.

This is my 2.0 with a dual stainless steel setup.

Gert ÂÂÂ
how does it sound, Gert?

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

The underside of you car looks VERY nice.  I'm impressed at how well you've kept the rust down on the suspension parts and rear axel.

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

I'll try to put a soundclip up in here once I get home from work... but it's deep !!! Not too loud, just nice and mellow deep. ÂÂÂ

Thanks for the compliments guys, I use the high-pressure watergun I have (dunno bout tha exact word on this one  ) to clean the undersides aswell. There's so much salt on the roads here in Europe/Holland so I try and spray it down each time I was the car....

Gert ÂÂÂ

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

what kind of mufflers do you have on their Gert?

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

The entire setup is custom, an exahsutshop did all the work and they have their own line of stainless steel mufflers. All mufflers are just straight-through designs with nothing but some sound-deadening material in it. I guess you can compare them most with glasspacks...

Gert

zach82

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by zach82 »

I also have a setup similar to Gert's, but I did mine myself so it doesn't look as nice as his.  I don't have any underside pics like he does, but I do have a rear shot of the car.

BTW mine is a straight pipe setup.

My Beretta Page

The pics are about halfway down the page...

1994 Purple Pearl Base (RWD conversion project)
1973/77 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed
1987 Suzuki Samurai / heavily modded
My site  http://www.zcm82.net

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

That looks sweet too Zach ! Gotta love that burnout ÂÂÂ
Although it started raining here I decided to make you guys a videoclip of what my exhaust sounds like. Offcourse I'll never capture the really low sounds on this almost ancient Mavica   but atleast you'll get a bit of an idea....

Click here to feel the Dutch rumbler

Have fun ya'll

Gert ÂÂÂ

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

Is that for the 2.2 or 2.0? Nice sound.  I don't think the recording did the setup justice because it kinda borders on that ricey sound.

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by Guest »

You're right.... the Mavica doesn't capture the entire range of sound. In the mornings when my engine is still cold there's a whole lotta things rattling along    and it's still a 2.0

Gert

zach82

Dual exhaust for a 2.2

Post by zach82 »

Quote (Gert @ Mar. 20 2002,4:43)That looks sweet too Zach ! Gotta love that burnout ÂÂÂ
There's actually more burnout than what's shown...  I went back and measured it... it was 60 some feet long.  

That was back when I had my old crappy tires, I doubt I could do one that long with my new ones.  

1994 Purple Pearl Base (RWD conversion project)
1973/77 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed
1987 Suzuki Samurai / heavily modded
My site  http://www.zcm82.net