My new kitty

Archived topics from the Exhaust Forum
Canada

My new kitty

Post by Canada »

I got the Xtreme Flow Cat from the ups man today. Very high quality product in MHO. What should I do with the old glasspack, keep it or ditch it? If I keep it what should I put first?

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
paintgod93

My new kitty

Post by paintgod93 »

Xtreme-flo owns.... my wallet

1996 zed26 Worst
2000 Katana Better
2006 Gsx-R Best
Canada

My new kitty

Post by Canada »

Hey, it will work. And it is easy to mount the new O2 sensor, (Bosch owns my wallet too) just screw it in.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
gar187er

My new kitty

Post by gar187er »

id say ditch it....no need for it....

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
Canada

My new kitty

Post by Canada »

I did ditch it. As to be expected, there was a tone difference. I think I like it better.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
Canada

My new kitty

Post by Canada »

I can only find one fault in the Xtreme Flow cat so far. The spot they have for the O2 sensor is in the tailend of the pipe, where the 2.25" pipe is suppose to fit into. But the O2 sensor is about 3/8" from the end of the cat, which gives no room for the pipe. So I had to cut a U shape out of the pipe to fit around the sensor. It also gives very little room for the clamp to go into.

You should be able to understand be better with this picture of the cat with the new O2 sensor.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

My new kitty

Post by Guest »

Thats funny so all they did was drill a hole, and weld in the threaded adapter to mount a O2 sensor. Then they charged a buncha money for it.. Wow that was good engineering. I figured it had like an extension on it or something.....
Best thing would be to go have that welded on now.
Before your pipes get to rusty (unless you used SS)
I'm having a prob wif mine bending near the cat due to lack of hanger locations on Berettas. Now it leaks and crap because U-clamps don't hold so well. But anyways the shop wouldn't weld it because the pipes are too rusted
I might try one of those band clamps for now *shrug*

Canada

My new kitty

Post by Canada »

Well the cat is stainless, so I can't weld it. I'm try to come up with something better to hang it in the middle, we'll see what I can do with my redneck engineering skills. $150 is that bad for a highflow cat, yes you can get a catco for $60, but OEs are 100-120...

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

My new kitty

Post by Guest »

Well the older rettas had a mounting near the cat... Those rubber donut things. But I checked a 94 or 95 Beretta at a dealer, and it also had no hangers in this area.... I don't know wtf GM was smoking. But theres nothing really in that area to weld to to make a good hanger
For now they just put some like coat hanger type wire there to hold my pipes up

Canada

My new kitty

Post by Canada »

I've got some #9 wire (he heavy, tough ####) holding it up right now...

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

My new kitty

Post by Guest »

I say get an O2 simulator and be done with it .

The only thing the 2nd o2 sensor is for is to set an SES light if your cat goes bad.

My new kitty

Post by Guest »

Quote (IsaacHayes @ Aug. 11 2002,3:01)I say get an O2 simulator and be done with it .

The only thing the 2nd o2 sensor is for is to set an SES light if your cat goes bad.
Where you been? He had one, it didn't work....

Canada

My new kitty

Post by Canada »

it didn't work at all. It was a good idea, but the computer was to picky or the sim was dead. Either way Casper's Electronics didn't answer my emails, and hung up on me. There my be a O2 sim go on ebay here in a week or so.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

My new kitty

Post by Guest »

Hey Canada, are you the one with the mandrel bent exhaust? If so, do you know what elbows you needed to buy to make the system? Nobody around here does mandrel bending, so I figure I'll buy the bends and bring it to a custom guy.

Any help would be great. It's for my 91 GTZ by the way.

My new kitty

Post by Guest »

Hey shift.. i already got his list from Canada... here is all the parts he used.. He was awesome help

(DA MAN)+Aug. 09 2002,1:12-->Quote (Canada (DA MAN) @ Aug. 09 2002,1:12)

3- 45 degree 2.25" bends, expanded ends, from JCWitney
2- 90 degree 2.25" bends, "
1- 8' piece of 2.25" pipe,"
13- 2.25" clamps, Mr. Gasket from Jegs
1- Universal Exhaust Hanger, JCWhitney, I think
1- 2.25" offset inlet/2.25" center outlet Dynomax Ultraflo Muffler, Summit Racing
1- 25" Thrush Glasspack, Jegs
1- Hooker Dual Slash Tip, Jegs
1- 2.25" by 2.25" coupling, AutoZone

that is the absolute min. I used. I would order a few extra clamps or a bend or two.

On my car the downpipe is 2" inside a 2.25" pipe. I cut off the downpipe and used the factory metal connector to get it the manifolds. Then I ran a 45 bends to the glasspack, quiet things down. Then a section of pipe to a 90 bend, to another 90 bend, then a straight piece to the last 2 45s cut to fit over the rear suspension. Then the muffler and tip with some pipe inbetween the two. The expanded bends make everything connect easier and the like. I used the 2.25" coupling to connect the 2 45 degree bends. It is hung by one soild hanger in the rear, thats all the more stock was up there by.

i know this may sound confusing to you, but order an extra bend and some extra clamps. Then go from there.

Don't forget a local shop either, some can do it just as cheap as you can.

If you want just loudness, clamp a glasspack in place of your muffler. Thats what Dustbunnie did.

If you are going to replace any piping, do the whole thing, you'll be much happier with the gains.