Exhaust cutout....

Archived topics from the Exhaust Forum

Exhaust cutout....

Post by Guest »

I've been thinking about adding an exhaust cutout before the converter. One that I can open and close from inside the car. I was wondering if anybody has done this and what kind of gains (if any) you could see with it open.

gar187er

Exhaust cutout....

Post by gar187er »

i was gonna do one up, but with goin to the track, that could pose a threat to me racing(#### sound ordinaces).....but gains as opposed to what? if saying adding one into a stock exhaust, prob 5-7......if you have a solid aftermarket/custom, exhaust with a high flow cat, maybe 2-3......

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!

Exhaust cutout....

Post by Guest »

I have stock pipes and converter with a Flowmaster muffler. So you think I would see 5-7 HP? I guess that would be worth $50, but is it going to blow my eardrums when I open it up?

zach82

Exhaust cutout....

Post by zach82 »

Jack Eubanks has a bypass on his 89 Base 2.8 v-6.  He opened that sucker up at the track at BFest last year; it was pretty loud but I loved it.  

If you want one but don't like really loud exhausts you could always wear ear plugs when you had it uncapped.

You should be able to have anyone who can weld make you one for a minimal amount of money, and installation wouldn't be too bad.  You could either clamp it or weld it in wherever you wanted it.

1994 Purple Pearl Base (RWD conversion project)
1973/77 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed
1987 Suzuki Samurai / heavily modded
My site  http://www.zcm82.net

Exhaust cutout....

Post by Guest »

Well, as long as it sounds cool, it can be as loud as a jet. I just don't like that harsh sound, but I guess I'll learn to live with it for the HP. I think JCWhitney has one for $20 that can be opened/closed from inside the car. Its been a while since I've seen it, though.

Exhaust cutout....

Post by Guest »

Found it!!! This is what I'm talking about.

Cutout