How much air in a tire?

Archived topics from the Wheels and Tires Forum
Ne14a6tee9

How much air in a tire?

Post by Ne14a6tee9 »

Well yesterday I took my car to the shop because I've been loosing air in my tire, so I figured I had a nail. Sure enough I did. So they plugged it for me (for some reason I dont trust that...) anyways they asked me how much air I put it them. I said 35, and they told me I should be putting 44 in it! It says the MAX amount your supposed to use is 44, but dosent that seem a little high? I forgot to check how much was in them today, but it feels like I'm riding in a truck. I'll have to check them tomorrow and probably let some of the air out. But, dosent 44 seem like alot? I should be ok with keeping them at 35 right?  

-Chris
‘90 Teal Indy 5 speed :Yahoo!:
'17 HRV EX

How much air in a tire?

Post by Guest »

You should originally go with whatever the factory recommends which is i think 35.  That is what i run in mine.  Mine max at 45 also.  I run between 35 and 40.

How much air in a tire?

Post by Guest »

I run 5 psi under MAX tire pressure (39 psi) factory setting is 35 psi but also not for performance.

How much air in a tire?

Post by Guest »

Depending on what size the tire is. If it's a tire of the beretta, it should really only be like 32-35. Bigger trucks get 35+.

How much air in a tire?

Post by Guest »

Quote So they plugged it for me (for some reason I dont trust that...)
You can trust the repairs. If it goes down on you again, you should be able to bring it back and do whatever for free. Where exactly did you take it?

How much air in a tire?

Post by Guest »

Quote (RichGTZ @ June 22 2002,02:24)Quote So they plugged it for me (for some reason I dont trust that...)
You can trust the repairs. If it goes down on you again, you should be able to bring it back and do whatever for free. Where exactly did you take it?
Like he said, you can trust the plugs. I had mine plugged because at the time I didn't have the money to buy a new/used tire. Well that was about 2500 miles ago. So it is very trustworthy unless they just flat out dont know what they are doing.

90BerettaGTZ

How much air in a tire?

Post by 90BerettaGTZ »

the pressure depends on the tire itself.

216/60/14 BFG radial T/As were 35psi max
the tires before that were on that car at the time were goodyears of some sort and were 44psi max.

for my beretta i run 42 in the front and 38 psi in the rear.

that fits the way i drive and feels best for me.

How much air in a tire?

Post by Guest »

I run 3 less than the max witch is 42psi on my car.    It handles better like that.

stizkidz

How much air in a tire?

Post by stizkidz »

at pep boys we use plug/patches or just patches all the time on tire repairs and they almost always hold.  in fact, i have yet to hear of a plug or patch not holding...  i have even seen some dismounted tires with 3 or more patches!

as for pressure - we are told to put in anywhere between 32 and 35 psi, 35+ for truck tires.  a little bit lower psi is better for performance.  however, higher psi is better for gas mileage.

-ben

Sold:
-90 Beretta 3.1 auto, red
Offroad Rig:
-88 K5 Blazer 5.7 manual, black
Showcar:
-87 Buick Grand National 3.8 Turbo auto, black
-88k original miles
Daily Driver:
-98 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 manual, green

How much air in a tire?

Post by Guest »

Your owners manual says to follow the recommended pressure shown on the sticker on the driver's door - for example mine says 32 front and rear.  I usually go with about 35.  

This came up at work recently.  Our mechanic told me to inflate my truck tires to 45, because that's what is printed on the tires.  I showed him the owners manual, which said to follow what the sticker says (35).  45 psi on a little Ford Ranger is like riding on concrete tires, to me.

How much air in a tire?

Post by Guest »

After I bought and had a shop put on my 16" rims, I noticed my ride was rough as all fuggin helll. I rode around like that for about a month, just figuring it wasa a bigger rim, and a smaller tire, so it would just have to be that way, I also Figured I just needed new shocks and struts.

I took my car into Valvoline about a month after they were put on just for a Oil Change, MY TIRE PRESSURE WAS SET AT 65 I was wondering why in the heck the guy was just letting air out of my tire for like 30 seconds each tire. He said they were set at 65 pounds when I drove in. I called the shop that had put them on for me, they said they didnt check the pressure, all they did was physically put the rims on the car. (I had bought the rims and tires used, so the tires were already on the wheels), so I called the guy who I bought them from, he said he never put air in them, he just took them off his car and immediately gave them to me.

I think someone was trying to kill me. Theyre were times I hit 95+ MPH with tires on my car set with almost twice as much pressure as recommended, ####ing Bastards !!!

How much air in a tire?

Post by Guest »

For best ride go with the recommended pressures on your door jamb. If the tires say a maximum of 44 pounds then I'm sure it will be safe at that pressure . I always use max pressure in my tire at the cost of ride quality but gas performance is increased . Performance with these pressures dont seem to suffer much either . So either way would be fine . What pressures do you guys run when competeing in like a solo event or scca event ? Street racing it seems the max pressure or rite at it works good for me . But I dont do much drag racing . As I like the curves way more than running a straight line .  

How much air in a tire?

Post by Guest »

Hey I thought I would add my 2 cents as well.

I use stock Goodyear Eagle G/A's on my 95Z26 and when I bought the tires I paid $20 and I get free flat repairs on all four tires. Never had a problem with any repairs and I have had a few. I live in a new area with a lot of constuction.

As for the tire pressure. When ever I get an oil change or tire rotation (also free lifetime rotation and balance) they always change the pressure in the tires to the manufactures suggested PSI (35). I find that the car drives worse for me and I dont have the same feel on the road. I guess I am just used to driving at a higher PSI. My tires also have a max of 44psi and I always change them to 39-40 psi. I find that it gives me a better feel for the road and better gas mileage.

Well, thats my 2 cents anyway

later

RebelGT

How much air in a tire?

Post by RebelGT »

<--48 in the front and 40 in the rear on the street and 35 in the rear for autox...

90BerettaGTZ

How much air in a tire?

Post by 90BerettaGTZ »

the mfg's suggestion...is with the tires that the car came with. you can run a tire with a higher pressure at max, at a lower psi. ex: 44max@32psi. that wont hurt it. it will build up a slight amount of heat compared to the tire being inflating fully because rolling resistance is increased.

lets consider this anyhow....if you are running a 17 inch rim with a 40 series or lower sidewall, its going to be stiff as hell without even considering the psi in the tire. obviously if youve bought a rim like this for the beretta...it wasnt because you wanted a nice fluffy ride in the first place. also, if you run lower sidewalls with less pressure, be careful of potholes. theyre bad enough without a low tire to contend with warping your rim.