Remote keyless entry

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Remote keyless entry

Post by Guest »

while searching ebay, I found a hole bunch of keyless entry systems, My question, HOW HARD ARE THEY TO PUT IN? while looking at them, I see alot of "wires and other stuff" and where do they all go.  It is not a alarm, just a keyless entry, i have power door locks, and it is a 89GT.  Would these "universal" kits work?

Remote keyless entry

Post by Guest »

check out this one I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....0814053

chevythunder

Remote keyless entry

Post by chevythunder »

Why don't you pick up one with a car starter too for 40 bucks more. There are lots on ebay too ..

Remote keyless entry

Post by Guest »

ok, but "HOW" hard is it to do.  Where do all of those wires go??

gtuturbo

Remote keyless entry

Post by gtuturbo »

If you are generally handy in the electrical aspects of your car, then it shouldn't be too difficult for an 89 GT.
See if the manufacturer has a link to its website with the schematics for installation of different cars. That might be of some benefit to you. Alot of the generic instructions tell you what you need to hook up, but it up to the installer to determine the correct wires on their specific vehicle. I would think a Haynes/Chilton would suffice, but a factory schematic set would be ideal.
On my new Chrysler it wasn't worth my effort due to the complexities of incorporating the remote starter into the factory alarm system and light sequences. Not to mention bypassing the transponder keys. I let the people who do it everyday have a crack at it.
As far as your car goes though , it should be straightforward enough.

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1

Remote keyless entry

Post by Guest »

well, I bought a bulldog remote keyless entry system today, does not seem to hard to do.