Wet carpet issue

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
90_Black_GTZ

Wet carpet issue

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

My car has leaked before, so when I had some bodywork done a few years back, I asked them to do some sealing.  That worked for a while, then it has started to leak again.  I pulled out the air inlet screen and saw that the silicone had started to get brittle and water was obviously getting under it.  I pulled all the old stuff out and noticed that they had sealed the waste flap that dumps out the water that fills up that area under the air inlet screen.  I am ASSUMING that this is a bad thing, that this should be able to dump that water out of there so it doesn't stay in there.  I'd like some opinions though.  Is it common to seal that completely up, or did the body shop do a bad thing?  I would think standing water would eventually find its way into the driving compartment.  I guess it was completely sealed up at first so that this didn't  happen, but as it aged, it probably made things worse.  What do you think?

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles
lugnutz

Wet carpet issue

Post by lugnutz »

I don't think it would be a good idea to seal up something thats supposed to drain the water out.

Bnet member #21
'91 3.1 5spd --- SOLD
'04 GTO 6spd
90_Black_GTZ

Wet carpet issue

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

That was my thinking!  Do you know that flap that I'm talking about?  Amazing that the body shop sealed that up.

Or maybe that isn't such a surprise.  Instead of asking me, or even looking for the key for my wheel locks, they destroyed the locks removing my wheels!  Jezz, it was just in the glove compartment!  Look, or better yet, ASK!

187,000 miles
lugnutz

Wet carpet issue

Post by lugnutz »

Yeah I know the flap your talking about.  I had a water problem with mine about 5 yrs ago, I took it to Ziebart and had them coat the area under the plastic cover by the windshield and the firewall with the undercoating that they use inside of car doors, it hasn't leaked a drop of water since.

I would see if you can get the body shop to buy you some new wheel locks.  They should have called you before just going ahead and destroying them.

Bnet member #21
'91 3.1 5spd --- SOLD
'04 GTO 6spd
stizkidz

Wet carpet issue

Post by stizkidz »

what i did was this:

first i removed the cowl area cover (over the drivers side wipers), then i bought some silicone waterproof sealant, next i put sealant all along the seam that has cracked weatherstripping that runs along the base towards the engine with a water release flap in the middle.

so far, it has heavilly rained today and i only noticed a small amount of water on my floors as opposed to the "lake" i used to get.  i applied the sealant twice but i still have a small puddle behind the passenger drivers seat on the floor...  maybe i have another leak?

-Ben

Sold:
-90 Beretta 3.1 auto, red
Offroad Rig:
-88 K5 Blazer 5.7 manual, black
Showcar:
-87 Buick Grand National 3.8 Turbo auto, black
-88k original miles
Daily Driver:
-98 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 manual, green

Wet carpet issue

Post by Guest »

yup yo do--and you should have used a urethane based sealant--last much longer and is more permanent--they use urethane to install windows.

Chris88CL

Wet carpet issue

Post by Chris88CL »

That and silicone will eat paint and cause rust.

stang&2Birds

Wet carpet issue

Post by stang&2Birds »

Eastwood sells *brushable sealant* for car bodies.

Joe -- 94 Olds Achieva Quad 4 HO ; 92 Olds Achieva Quad 4 SOHC; '69 Firebird 350 ; '77 Olds Cutlass (Yes, I have *4* GM cars. ).  86 TBird & 86 Mustang GT with Cobra brakes & ABS.
FREE Pace Calculator program for running/walking/etc
90_Black_GTZ

Wet carpet issue

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

Quote (stang&2Birds @ Jan. 06 2003,20:24)Eastwood sells *brushable sealant* for car bodies.
That sounds good!  You could then coat the whole area instead of just the joints.

187,000 miles

Wet carpet issue

Post by Guest »

hello,
I have the same problem, but some how my back floors are flooding with a huge amount of water along with the front floors...i sealed that window with marine silicone the first time, like i had read on this site on another page, and it worked for a few months, then i started to get leaks again...but worse.... so i resealed the window..after i resealed the window, it rained again, and the floors were even worse then the previous times..i have no idea where the leak is, and what to do..i am taking it to a GM dealer this week to have it looked at.....

Wet carpet issue

Post by Guest »

Quote (plumberetta96 @ Jan. 13 2003,00:53)hello,
I have the same problem, but some how my back floors are flooding with a huge amount of water along with the front floors...i sealed that window with marine silicone the first time, like i had read on this site on another page, and it worked for a few months, then i started to get leaks again...but worse.... so i resealed the window..after i resealed the window, it rained again, and the floors were even worse then the previous times..i have no idea where the leak is, and what to do..i am taking it to a GM dealer this week to have it looked at.....
Do you have a sunroof by any chance?