Flush mounting deck in 92+ beretta

Archived topics from the Mobile Electronics and Audio Forum

Post by Guest »

I have a 1992 GTZ and  I will be putting a rather expensive deck in it within the next couple months.  I want to flush mount it so that I can rip apart a stock deck and cover the aftermarket one with the face of the stock one (a neat old school trick).  The only way I can do that is to mount the new deck in such a manner that it does not stick out.

Right now, my deck sticks out and its mounted using a standard mounting kit and there is no room as the heater plenum is right there. I have no problem heat gunning it, but it looks like its made up of two pieces so I fear that the bottom piece will just fold up.  Any help would be appreciated.

Post by Guest »

You can recess mount a fairly deep deck with only modifying the rear factory radio support. But I'm not sure that'll really help you as you'd need the mounting kit and face of the radio to be at least 1/8" recessed, to give you proper clearance for the Delco face to snap in place. Problem with modifying the vents back there, is that's where the heater core lives. You'll need to pull off the bottom access panel to see if you have enough clearance to re-mold the panels there.

I'd say take it all apart and see what you've got to work with, then from there it's only a matter of making a kit to work for your needs.

BerettaSS

Post by BerettaSS »

I used a chrysler kit and modified it so I could use the Metra mounting bracket that is used for our cars.  I then of course cut the back of the radio support out and had to remove the plastic air deflector that channels air on the floor.  I hav eno problems with any other clearances after removing that deflector.  Since I have a 199o that I installed a 91+ dash in, i don't have the duct work int he floor to provide heat to teh rear seating, so removing the deflector wasn't a big concern.  Although I doubt the way i did it would provide enough clearance to mountthe factory face over the aftermarket one.

BerettaSS

Post by BerettaSS »

Just for clarification, I used the Chrysler kit because they provide a 1/4" recess to mount the deck deeper.

Post by Guest »

I removed the radio support for the last deck I put in there and still it was not recessed.  It stuck out like a sore thumb and it got ripped off.  I would need at least 3 inches more depth to be able to work with that.  

Nobody has ever tried heatgunning that plenum back there?  I don't feel like taking my whole dash apart to figure out that it wont't work.

BerettaSS

Post by BerettaSS »

I think if you tried to heat the air box you would seriously screw up the internal workings of the box.  There are moving doors that direct air inside that thing and deforming the box would probably jam them up.  I wouldn't try it.

Post by Guest »

Ok, well Clarion 9255 for sale then I guess.

Post by Guest »

I flush mounted my Alpine CDM-7861 with a Best kits faceplate. Worked very well in my 91 Beretta whihc is the same dash as the 92.

Post by Guest »

Did you have to do any modifications to the heater plenum?

Post by Guest »

Quote (BowtieRocket @ Sep. 23 2002,4:42)I flush mounted my Alpine CDM-7861 with a Best kits faceplate. Worked very well in my 91 Beretta whihc is the same dash as the 92.
Shawn,

He needs more depth. He'd need to recess mount it to where the deck and kit are maybe 1/8" behind the opening so that he can snap on the Delco face and look as though the Delco were actually installed.

I've managed to mount a Pioneer DEH-P7000R in a Dodge kit in my GTZ with no modifications other than the rear radio support, I might even be able to go another 1/8-1/4" deeper, with still no mods.

How deep is this Clarion? Can you gain some depth by using RCA right angle adapters?

Post by Guest »

I'd say with some modifications you might be able to. YOu could modify the mounting piece to meet your needs.

I can't beleive a Clarion being that deep.

Post by Guest »

The 9255 is more of a McIntosh than a Clarion.  Anyway, its quite deep. However, the deck is not too deep.  About 7 inches.

Im wondering whether there is a difference between the 92 and 91 heater plenums

Post by Guest »

My deck isn't 7" deepm but because I have the Angle faceplate the deck is probably at my guess just over 6".

But I can see what you mean though because I didn't have much more room to go. You could try a heatgun and reform the heater duck, but I mean if this is a Daily driver and live in a snowbelt not a great idea, but how much more room do you need again?

Post by Guest »

I measured it today.  I have 6 inches on the driver's side of the opening and 7 on the passanger's side.  I would need to heatgun the plenum back about one inch.  What do you guys think?

Post by Guest »

I still say take a peak, it doesn't take too much to at least drop down that bottom panel to look inside. If I remember correctly, it seemed the heater core may of been off to one side, which may be the reason for the difference in depth. If the heater core will allow it though, you should not have any problems with heat gunning it, just use some rope caulk or something to seal up any gaps you may have when done.