Integra Update!!

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
Godlike

Integra Update!!

Post by Godlike »

Some of you have seen my original post on Bstuff? when I bought the car in 2009? It was a pretty tired car when I picked it up but I bought it for autoX and it met my minimum requirements of being a straight, rust free, white, cloth interior, GSR. At the time I wanted to make a white on orange Real time Type R clone. The original engine and trans were running strong with 150k on the clock.
The USDM GSR is generally a loaded version with stiffer suspension, brakes and a 170hp B18C1 V-tec motor with a beefed up non-lsd 5spd. The base, SE, LS, GS versions come with a weaker 140hp B18B motor, and either and auto or a weaker version of the b series trans with taller gearing.
Image20170702_204259 by GodlikeMotorsports, on Flickr
I started modding the car each winter when it was hibernating.
-Year 1 was a Tein Flex coil over setup
-Year 2 was getting all control arms and trailing arms Powedercoated and a full Energy suspension complete bushing set. I also stripped the calipers and had them powder coated. Thanks to Rock Auto I rebuilt all 4 calipers for $16. It got steel braided brake hoses at that time. They are such a great upgrade on any car/truck dd whatever.
-Year 3 I think was smaller crap like Hasport poly engine mounts and an Exedy stage 1 clutch.
-After a few years I picked up a used Jackson Racing SC kit and then spent a couple years accumulating supporting parts for it.
I had Hondata S300 engine management hardware installed in my ecu and once I had everything I needed I tore into the car mid autocross season.

These were the basic specs at the time
1995 GSR
setup:
-Stock B18c1 176K miles
-OEM 4-1 ITR header
-2 1/4" ss junkyard catback
-Stock blower pulleys, crank pulley...
-Hondata S300
-RC 550 injectors
-Hondata I.M. gasket
-NGK BK7RE11 plugs
- VMS fuel pressure regulator adapter and new filter
-LHT Intercooler modd. package deal w/ 70mm TB

And this was part of a post I made on Honda-Tech on D-day

The day I took it to the dyno it wouldn't start! The fuel pump wasn't running. But luckily my clutch switch failed earlier and is currently jumped so I pulled it out of the shop and onto the car dolly in 1st gear using the starter. It ended up being a simple ground issue but at the time I was ready to take a baseball bat to the car.
It made 225whp and 160wtq on a Dynojet 224xLC which supposedly measures about 150whp on a stock GSR.
Not a ton of power but I was impressed with how snappy it is now and for the time being this is primarily a "parking lot / low speed autocross" car so the power level is more than enough for what Im doing with it. I have a lot of suspension tuning to do. I need an LSD, a better alignment, better brakes and a traction bar to name a few things. Ill have to datalog soon and get some intake temp. readings. I can run it hard and pull over and hold my hand on the manifold so, there's that.

Stay tuned. Theres more!
Last edited by Godlike on Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

90' GTZ 189whp NA 14.00@99 / 237whp 50 shot 13.3@104
95' Integra 240whp / 04' Z71 Tahoe/ 85' K20/ 15' IS350 Fsport
projects: 86 Bonneville 6.0 swap / MkIII Supra 2J swap / 91 Volvo 740
Rettax3

Re: Integra Update!!

Post by Rettax3 »

Impressive power jump. I didn't like those Integras when they first came out -I thought the headlights looked too small and overly 'masked', but I saw one silhouetted by a street-light, and upon discovering what that graceful body-line belonged to, fell for them instantly. I've wanted one ever since. Sigh, not yet though, possibly never. The one and only GSR I can recall driving (though I've worked on a few Integras including GSRs) was a pooch. Probably not all that bad, but I had been scooting-around with my Turbo Z-24 for a while, and thought a GSR would stand up to it a bit better... I think yours sounds like a beast though -I'll be watching for more! Thanks for sharing.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Godlike

Post by Godlike »

Here is a link to a Honda tech thread where I started posting my adventures with supercharging the car.
Its probably boring to everyone but me.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-in ... 0/page726/

It ran a 13.5 in the quarter on 22" slicks I borrowed from Dusty at Rock Falls Raceway. Nothing crazy but enough to have fun. No more downshifting on the highway to pass people.

Godlike

Post by Godlike »

The "LHT modd" starts with shipping the SC intake and S tube "throttle body adapter" to LHT Performance in Florida where they cut it open and port the crap out of it. Then they add 2 laminova cores through the intake for coolant to pass through and weld end tanks and a domed cap on to seal it back up. The result is up to a 100 degree drop in intake temp. and the porting itself is supposed to be good for another 10whp. A complete kit comes with a pump, hoses, hardware and front mount heat exchanger. I had them add a 70mm throttle body to the package for one easy payment of $1140. I control the pump with a factory fog light push button which triggers a repurposed 50A ABS relay. I would like to eventually run it off a temp. controller with a simple process value screen.
ImageGsr by GodlikeMotorsports, on Flickr
The blower is pretty hidden. No one ever notices it when I have the hood up.
The coolant lines run to bulkhead fittings I ran into the drivers side frame rail. The overflow tank came from a Mustang GT500 as did the hood vent. Im not happy with the tank location. I need to move some things around eventually. I want to put it where the battery is now. I will also delete the ABS module freeing up more space and shaving #15 in the nose. The lines run to the front and one meets the pump which is the lowest point and then through the heat exchanger.
There was a great spot to mount the exchanger under the bumper beam but there is a pretty large gap between that and the AC condenser. This didn't pose a problem at first but we took the car on the power tour and on hotter days on the highway it would throw a CEL for high coolant temp and go into boost cut. My wife would then have to plug in her laptop on the fly and delete the code and I would drop down a few mph and keep driving. I upsized the radiator and cut a hole in the hood when we got home and the temps were more under control.
Last edited by Godlike on Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godlike

Post by Godlike »

2015 Power Tour
In 2015 my wife and I took the car on the Power Tour. It was fun having like one of 4 Japanese cars on the trip. When I pulled into a carshow/ check-in in Gulfport, Mississippi a guy in the crowd said "you should take that thing home and bring back a real car" And we all had a good laugh.
The car made it there and back but we had a few problems. First it shut down on me in the middle of nowhere and wouldn't restart. We found one of the plugs to the ecu wasn't fully seated from when I got the S300 installed. Easy fix once we found it.
The second issue was heat! The further south we got the hotter it was and the car started throwing CELs and going into boost cut. It never overheated but the coolant temp was high enough to trigger boostcut and the car would fall on its face the second I got out of vacuum. This mainly occurred on the highway going 80+ with the AC on. I think the large gap between the heat exchanger and the AC condenser slowed the airspeed down too much hurting the efficiency of the radiator. Roadside remedies included adding water wetter, I removed the rubber seal on the cowl and shimmed the back edge of the hood up with washers giving it that extra ricey look. 15 years ago that was the big thing with honda guys. Swapping a tall deck Integra 1.8 B series into a Civic meant zero hood clearance. Once we got home I ordered a CSF radiator. After that I also trimmed the grill and added ducts to direct extra air around the heat exchanger, replaced one of the cooling fans and cut a hole in the hood. Im pretty sure ive done a coolant flush before and the motor got a new water pump with the last timing belt replacement but I wonder if this motor still has some plugged arteries due to its age. It doesn't usually get that hot around here but last year the same thing happened to me again at an autocross on a 90 degree day. Ive always let the car idle in grid between runs and I got the same CEL at one point.
ImageGsr holes by GodlikeMotorsports, on Flickr

Godlike

Post by Godlike »

I started to get a 2-3 grind out of the trans at high rpm shifts. I shipped the trans to Syncrotech for a rebuild with new bearings, carbon syncros, and a M-factory Stage 1 helical LSD! That really made a difference at the track. The stage 1 is more aggressive due to the gear pitch but still totally streetable. You can see it grabbing a little extra in the picture
ImageUntitled by GodlikeMotorsports, on Flickr
...ok maybe not
Last edited by Godlike on Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Godlike

Post by Godlike »

ImageGsr by GodlikeMotorsports, on Flickr

I Threw a wave of parts at it in 2020. I wanted to try softer springs so I went 200# softer in the front and 100# in the rear. I ordered a Tanabe Medallion Touring catback exhaust for it a couple years prior from an online store. It was on sale for $450 which seemed like a really good price. I never got a confirmation email from them saying it was ordered, shipped, back ordered.... nothing. But my card was never charged so I figured it was just too good to be true. 7 months later it showed up at my door. My card was never charged. Around that same time I found an 8-9psi Stepper pulley for the blower on ebay. So on B18 JRSC setup the crank pulley drives a custom dual alternator pulley which becomes the power takeoff for the blower. I think the seller was a machinist from Canada who cranks out a few of these here and there for some extra cash. At that point I realized I was a fuel pump away from being ready to swap pulleys and level up. I had a good clutch and enough injector so what the heck

snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

Godlike wrote:I started to get a 2-3 grind out of the trans at high rpm shifts.
Sorry, it's probably from that time I drove it a few years back ;).

1991 Beretta GTZ
Godlike

Post by Godlike »

Ya, I was afraid of that :D