Post by 1988GTU »

Thanks!

New parts ftw!

_________
-------------
BerettaPunk

Re: What kind of muffler do you have?

Post by BerettaPunk »

is there any real hp gain between any of these bad boys is my question lol.

1.hp
2.sound quality

92 Beretta
90 GTZ
96 Z26
09 Subawoo Impreza
85 S10 4x4
97 Grand Am (R.I.P.)
03 Cavalier(sold)
90 GT(R.I.P.)
89 Base(R.I.P.)
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Your engine will benefit most from running full 2.25" or 2.5" pipe, including the downpipe, which is very, very restrictive. The muffler is more for sound, so what kind of sound you want is up to you.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
aurolio

Post by aurolio »

I'm very pleased with the sound of my Borla turbo. Loud yet not annoying.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

"Select One" doesn't work well for me -I do have six Berettas currently...
-'89 GTU -Multiple glass-packs, 2x Thrush Turbo mufflers, still very loud (under boost), almost too loud.
-'90 Turbo T-Type -Thrush Welded (think Flowmaster). Awesome sounding car, one of the best notes I've ever owned.
-'90 Yellow Indy -Chrysler 300M OE muffler -sounds and flows better than Beretta OE, but just a tad raspy when cold.
-'90 Teal Indy -Dual Flowmasters are set aside for it (free).
-95 Z-26 3100/3400 -OE Z-26. Sounds really good to me, distinctive 60-degree sound!
-'95 Z-26 3.4 DOHC -Single 3-inch Flowmaster. Haven't had the car running yet though.

The 2.5-inch Thrush Welded muffler in the '90 T-Type is good quality, and was a really good price from AutoZone, something like $30 back about seven years ago. Sadly, this same muffler on my Turbo Z-24 (2.4 'Twin Cam') sounds very ricey, very raspy, and much louder. The compression on the Z-24 is in the high 9s (last version of the Twin Cam engines with the higher CR), but the Turbo T's 3.4 hybrid V-6 is virtually 10:1 (yes, on a turbo car), so even with the two extra cylinders, I would expect it to be louder than the Z-24, but it isn't. Even adding a resonator to the Z-24's four-banger didn't help much, and it is one of the worst-sounding cars I own (although a Honda-guy might like it). I'm not in love with Flowmasters, but the mufflers are solid, long-lasting, perform well, and tend to find their way to me easily. Heck, two of my old Plymouths have two each of them underneath. My Flowmaster-equipped '89 Camaro definitely sounds meaner than my Magnaflow-equipped '88 Camaro, but it also has headers and 50 cubic-inches extra, so it still isn't apples-to-apples comparison.

Bottom line, I like the sound of the Thrush/Flowmaster type mufflers well enough that I wouldn't pay much more for another brand. And aside from my fortune in getting over half a dozen Flowmasters for almost nothing, I wouldn't pay much more for them than for the Thrush brand version.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

I recently had my exhaust redone on my Quad4. I'm running 2 resonators, an Aero Turbine and a Vibrant Ultra Quiet (p/n 1141, and a Magnaflow 4x9 oval muffler (p/n 11256). Sounds decent, although it is a bit loud at high revs.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

These days I'm more partial towards quieter exhaust. I'm considering getting a 96 Beretta base muffler and putting it on my 90 gtz because it works very well for silencing the 3100 SFI engine, its exhaust makes no noise. I don't think airflow will be an issue at all.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

GT_Indy wrote:These days I'm more partial towards quieter exhaust. I'm considering getting a 96 Beretta base muffler and putting it on my 90 gtz because it works very well for silencing the 3100 SFI engine, its exhaust makes no noise. I don't think airflow will be an issue at all.
V-6s are easier to silence than four-bangers. As I mentioned, I used the EXACT same muffler on a turbo Twin-Cam (Successor to the Quad) as on my turbo 3.4 hybrid, and the Twin Cam is waaay louder. But, if you are interested, I would love to sell the complete exhaust from my 95 Z-26 (except for the outlet tip). Pipe, muffler, resonator, cat. One cut where it arches over the rear "axle" beam, otherwise perfect. It is all in great shape, 105k miles. Even the bolts weren't rusted on it. :D

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Rettax3 wrote:
GT_Indy wrote:These days I'm more partial towards quieter exhaust. I'm considering getting a 96 Beretta base muffler and putting it on my 90 gtz because it works very well for silencing the 3100 SFI engine, its exhaust makes no noise. I don't think airflow will be an issue at all.
V-6s are easier to silence than four-bangers. As I mentioned, I used the EXACT same muffler on a turbo Twin-Cam (Successor to the Quad) as on my turbo 3.4 hybrid, and the Twin Cam is waaay louder. But, if you are interested, I would love to sell the complete exhaust from my 95 Z-26 (except for the outlet tip). Pipe, muffler, resonator, cat. One cut where it arches over the rear "axle" beam, otherwise perfect. It is all in great shape, 105k miles. Even the bolts weren't rusted on it. :D
I believe that its louder. lol. I had a hard time silencing my olds 455 cadillac, I have 2 massive mufflers on that car and its still noisy. lol.
I'm ok for now, the GTZ doesn't get driven to much so it isn't the end of the world for me. lol.
It has a new muffler on it already, but the next time it needs change I'll look into something quieter.

whiteretta

Re: RE: Re: What kind of muffler do you have?

Post by whiteretta »

Have you considered a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler? Good tone on a V6, but not very loud either.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

GT_Indy

Re: RE: Re: What kind of muffler do you have?

Post by GT_Indy »

whiteretta wrote:
Have you considered a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler? Good tone on a V6, but not very loud either.

Nope. But I will look into it now for the gtz. The z26 is not getting any changes because I'm selling it now. I still want to reduce the amount of cars I have and I don't want any more automatics.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I had a Super Turbo on my quad and hated it. But that had no cat either.

I like my Dynomax VT on the 3400. Mostly quiet until you hammer on it and the valve opens. But the valve lets out tiny little farts at idle. Probably from me modifying it when it rusted to be sort of half fiberglass, half chambered. I have this idea now to make my own little spintech muffler right after the Dynomax. Maybe chop up those sound waves a little bit.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

woody90gtz wrote:I had a Super Turbo on my quad and hated it. But that had no cat either.

I like my Dynomax VT on the 3400. Mostly quiet until you hammer on it and the valve opens. But the valve lets out tiny little farts at idle. Probably from me modifying it when it rusted to be sort of half fiberglass, half chambered. I have this idea now to make my own little spintech muffler right after the Dynomax. Maybe chop up those sound waves a little bit.
Nice.

whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Here are the newest videos of my setup. Leaky PaceSetters, 2.5" pipe straight back to a Hooker Aerochamber, with Hooker resonated tips.

https://youtu.be/NGDG3WvjraE

https://youtu.be/xlRNp0C20Fw

https://youtu.be/jMThMAKBrNM