2.3l quad. 4 HO exhaust systems?

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
Stencil
Administrator

Re: 2.3l quad. 4 HO exhaust systems?

Post by Stencil »

Noone makes an exhaust for one anymore, so you'll have to have it custom made at a local exhaust shop. I'd recommend 2.5" all the way, HighFlow Cat, 12" Baffled Resonator behind the Cat (this will mellow out the sound and keep it somewhat quiet) and then a Magnaflow muffler and your tip of choice. Enjoy!

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M
Koots

Post by Koots »

That should be a decent setup for cheap.

A member on here does offer stainless catback piping, but it's low volume and he does it while he's at work IIRC...I'm not absolutely sure if he's still doing it though, so I'd have to look into it for the sake of information.

I've had decent results with using "glasspack" style mufflers as resonators in some of my vehicles. One my Corsica, I've currently got a 4-1 header, 2.25" piping into stainless glasspack, then into 2.0" stock replacement pipe into 2" stainless "magnaflow" style muffler (Jones Max Flow SS). It's a similar setup I had on my 97 Civic, but with a standard Cherry Bomb glasspack and it worked and sounded great. It sounded more like a mellow street bike than a Civic, but I had a few supporting mods to help that.

2.5" is a good pipe size for both 2.3 and 2.8/3.1/3100, but the 2.2L people should stick with stock or 2.25" pipe.

Koots

Post by Koots »

I found the sale thread for the custom piping:

http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic. ... it=catback

GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

I guess this would fall under this. Would you guys reccomend staying with stock style muffler on stock exhaust (all stock motor including airbox and cast iron header) or would a less restrictive muffler help anything? What sounds best to you guys? stock style muffler and cat (and entire exhaust system actually) is new but I wouldn't mind some more noise.

Do "glasspack" style straight through mufflers make the quad sound like rice? magnaflow?

speedy

Post by speedy »

2.5 is my plan already for the gtz from the manifold back, the manifold is going to get ported since the head is a ported 086 with a 3 angle valve job, pointless not to port the mani and get a bigger exhaust, only difference is im shoving a pipe through a cat, welding the cat to it and calling it a cat, really just a strait pipe without gutting the cat.

where i live, we dont need emissions, and the cat just has to be "visable" under the car... nuff said. =)

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Magnaflow doesn't sound too bad on a V6, not sure for the Q4. I always feel it is best to get rid of a stock muffler. They are made for the general public that is more worried about noise. The car maker doesn't want people to bitch so you end up with a quiet low flow muffler.
I'd say look at Walker quiet flow and Magnaflow. Glasspacks are good for resonators, but not for a main muffler. The old rule of thumb is if you can see though it it's going to be way too loud.

keep'em flying!
speedy

Post by speedy »

nothing wrong with making a little noise! =)

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
RobertISaar

Post by RobertISaar »

Money pit Beretta wrote:The old rule of thumb is if you can see though it it's going to be way too loud.
i wouldn't say that, necessarily....

with the factory and resonator with only the original muffler replaced with a glasspack, my 3100 is quite mellow near idle. put foot to floor and it is noticably louder than stock though.

88corsica5spd28

Post by 88corsica5spd28 »

RobertISaar wrote:
Money pit Beretta wrote:The old rule of thumb is if you can see though it it's going to be way too loud.
i wouldn't say that, necessarily....

with the factory and resonator with only the original muffler replaced with a glasspack, my 3100 is quite mellow near idle. put foot to floor and it is noticably louder than stock though.
My car has a stock cat and a Thrush Turbo Tube which is a glorified glasspack and it's not all that loud at all... but I'm pretty sure the cat is plugged. A plugged cat makes a hell of a resonator.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

LOL a plugged cat sure does!

Wow Robert, never thought using one after the other would do much. Would you guess that it's like using a muffller with no resonator? You are not a rock(or the like) music fan are you?

keep'em flying!
88corsica5spd28

Post by 88corsica5spd28 »

Money pit Beretta wrote:LOL a plugged cat sure does!

Wow Robert, never thought using one after the other would do much. Would you guess that it's like using a muffller with no resonator? You are not a rock(or the like) music fan are you?
You can imagine my disappointment when i fired it up and the stock muffler was louder than the glasspack.

I wanted to.rattle windows :(

wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

I also do custom quad DP's and manifold porting. BTW, be careful on how much porting you do to the head where it meets the manifold. You don't want to gasket match.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo