Installation of Intermediate Pipe

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
Dukenukemx

Installation of Intermediate Pipe

Post by Dukenukemx »

Something like 5 years ago I installed a new Intermediate Pipe on my Retta and couldn't get it to fit just by jacking up the car. I don't have access to a lift so I ended up cutting the pipe in half and joining them together, and not with a welder either. Since then the exhaust would rattle and hit the underneath of the car.

It started leaking again and it's time for a new Intermediate Pipe, but is there a way to install this pipe without the need of a lift? Also yea, no access to a welder so any advice on how to clamp the exhaust tight? Clamps seem to never work on this car.

BTW, it's a 90 GT with 3.1L.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Installation of Intermediate Pipe

Post by 3X00-Modified »

remove rear axle... Other than that you can't get the car high enough to feed it over the axle.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

You might be able to snake it in if you get the car in the air high enough to remove the gas tank and then jocky the new exhaust in place without the muffler on. It might just be easier to remove the axle tho.

_________
-------------
themixer

Post by themixer »

I got mine on with ramps and a standard 2 ton jack and stands. drive it up on the ramps, then use a large piece of wood to jack up the back of the car under the spare tire, be sure to not put too much stress on your rubber brake lines. look a little prying but it went in without issue.

My entire exhaust is clamped together, the trick to them is not to over tighten them and distort the pipe. Tight enough so they dont come apart, then drive it a while check them again.

If any of your exhaust system is old and rusty clamps usually work poorly, i was able to order the entire thing brand new from walker. It was relatively cheap @ $250 with a catalytic converter

Dukenukemx

Post by Dukenukemx »

Thanks guys, I've tried to jack it up sky high in the past but with no luck. I'll look into disconnecting the axle to see if it helps.

Dukenukemx

Post by Dukenukemx »

I dropped the shocks in the read and was barely able to get the pipe in. Of course the springs fell out, but that's no problem cause I know how to put them back in. The real trick is to get the pipe in without the jack being in the way. Needed a heavy duty large floor jack to hold up the rear temporary just to get the pipe around the jack. I placed the jack near the truck area, which looked the strongest.