High flow catalytic converter

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
jackattack193

High flow catalytic converter

Post by jackattack193 »

I have a high flow cat on my car that was installed in '95 - yeah '95. Anyway, the resto on my GTU is almost done and it's getting time to think about the new exhaust. Now, I'm guessing that I should get a new hgh flow cat - I have no reason to believe that mine is clogged & it doesn't rattle to indicate it's messed up inside - but I'm figuring I might as well get new since everything else is getting a makeover.

I looked at some older posts about high flow cats but was hoping to get a more "updated" opinion on what the best option would be. Thanks in advance.

Money pit Beretta

Re: High flow catalytic converter

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Magnaflow. I have yet to have any problems with them. They are also the best for cars that have an O2 after the cat. You wouldn't have to worry about that anyway, just putting the info out there.

keep'em flying!
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I've always run Catco with no problems.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
DownSouth

Post by DownSouth »

Is this ManaFlow a hi-flow cat? It doesn't say it is.

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/disp ... tfit=23445

Black 1993 3.1L Chevrolet Beretta
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

That is a magnaflow direct fit converter... High flows are not direct fit or application specific, they are typically tagged universal.

I don't know if Magnaflow calls all of theirs high flow or not, but they don't list a high flow line.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DownSouth

Post by DownSouth »

Is there a specific hi-flow cat that people use?

How do the 3.1's sound with the cat converter deleted?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Loud...

Catco is one that most use as Woody said...

It doesn't matter to me since I don't use a cat when I'm at the strip, I just run the exhaust open, plus the loss of the cat is so minimal on the street with a full exhaust.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DownSouth

Post by DownSouth »

3X00-Modified wrote:Loud...

Catco is one that most use as Woody said...

It doesn't matter to me since I don't use a cat when I'm at the strip, I just run the exhaust open, plus the loss of the cat is so minimal on the street with a full exhaust.
Part number?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Take your pick.

Universal Catco 49 state legal 2.0 inlet.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/bran ... toview=SKU

49 state legal, V6 slip fit, various pipe sizes and brands.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Engi ... Rank%7cAsc

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

3X00-Modified wrote:
Universal Catco 49 state legal
FAIL!

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DownSouth

Post by DownSouth »

Just for my knowledge,....how do you know that the Catco universal cats are "high flow," were as their direct-fit are not "high flow?"

btw - I'm in FL so I don't need that uber-restrictive Cali crap.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Catco is a good name brand, and all of theirs are high flow I stand corrected on only the only the universal ones being high flow... Most converters that state HIGH FLOW in the name though are universal/race specific, the direct fit ones and universal OEM replacements from these companies don't always get sold as high flow so you'll have to take their word for it if they say somewhere that all of their lines out perform a stock converter. The Magnaflow one I'm not sure on, that may also be high flow. Bottom line why are you so DEAD set on getting a high flow converter?

Info I found on Catco
Catco Catalytic Converter

Have you gotten over the fact that you have to run a catalytic converter? They're here to stay, and most of us have learned to live with them. It's been made easier, too, thanks to the Catco catalytic converter. Just because you have to use a cat doesn't mean you have to settle for a stock cat. You can bolt on a performance Catco catalytic converter and free up some horsepower while you keep the emissions cops happy. A Catco catalytic converter features lots of practical benefits over a stock cat. You get a stainless steel body, aluminized heat shields, and thick materials used throughout. That ensures that your Catco catalytic converter lasts a lot longer than a stock cat. But the fun part lies in the free-breathing nature of a Catco catalytic converter. Thanks to some clever engineering, a Catco catalytic converter will out-flow a stock converter by a significant margin. After all, your vehicle manufacturer just wanted to keep the exhaust clean. You can do better by installing a Catco catalytic converter in place of the restrictive stock cat. You can get a Catco catalytic converter in an OE direct-fit configuration for many popular vehicles, or you can order a universal Catco catalytic converter if your application isn't listed. Either way, you get great Catco catalytic converter performance at our exceptional prices.

Catco Converter

It only takes one call to your dealership parts counter to understand the benefits of a Catco converter for your vehicle. OE converters are still priced in the stratosphere, and we certainly can't figure out why. A Catco converter flows more exhaust for improved performance, a Catco converter is made from more robust materials than a stock converter, and a Catco converter is less expensive—usually by a huge margin. And don't think that a Catco converter is just a universal-fit metal box. Most popular cars have an OE direct-fit Catco converter made for them, so you can just bolt up your new Catco converter and pocket all the cash you saved. You always get premium construction on your Catco converter, including stainless steel and aluminized shells and heat shields, along with thick flanges for solid mounting. When it's time to replace your stock converter, or you're ready to improve performance by upgrading to a high-flow converter, remember that a Catco converter gives you more for your money in emissions control

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

In all honesty, if you do the research, you will find all cats, made not on the car from factory, are high flow. Typically, the average cats will all have the same amount of material in them based on case size. There is a law that the companies have to follow to make their products legal for sale or they are not permitted for sale. Anything from Magnaflow, Catco, or any other company, will be a "high flow" cat. Only time it wont be, is if you get one from the autos dealer.

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
NMBeretta

Post by NMBeretta »

good info

90 Chevy Beretta GT/GTZ V6 3.1
98 GMC Sierra SLE Vortec V8 5.0
01 Honda Acorrd EX 2.2
http://www.beretta.net/forum/download/f ... ew&id=1088