digital dash woes.

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Lespaul59

digital dash woes.

Post by Lespaul59 »

Half the digital dash works. Was wondering if a corsica or cavalier had the same? All the j-yards here have about 15 Berettas and they're all analog. A direct fit or keep looking?

yellow3800

Re: digital dash woes.

Post by yellow3800 »

car-part.com and just start calling EVERYONE!

I know it'll be difficult; I'd pull the connector from behind the dash mount [i think we can do this w/out getting behind it] and wiggle that seat just to be sure the cluster is the problem, and not the connector.

What lights up the digital dash? curious, never seen one. I wonder if you can take it apart and replace LED's or whatever it uses.

have fun

andy

Burning_Beard

Post by Burning_Beard »

There's a refurb on ebay for $160 if your so inclined. I don't know about the corsica, but the cavi is not an option.

1989 Beretta GTU 2.8 w/77k, auto.
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Beretta digitals are unique to Berettas, and only up through 1990period. Cavaliers from the era use a plasma-style (typical blueish-greenish unit of the day), and are not remotely compatible without major modification to the wiring, case, and even VSS (speed sensor). Never saw a Corsica with a factory-installed digital cluster...

The digis use incandescent bulbs to back-light through three separate LCD displays. LEDs can be substituted, of course, if they are bright enough. First thing, are your bulbs burnt-out? After that, pull the whole cluster out, open it up, and clean the LCD glass display contacts with rubbing alcohol. It is time consuming, risks making the whole display stop working (does that really matter at this point?), and it is a really delicate procedure. But sometimes it works (other times it doesn't).

As I have mentioned numerous times before, I do have a number of spare dig clusters, and three of my cars came equipped with digi-dashes. For the right price, I might be willing to part with one of my spares, and I have the ability to test the dashes in one of my cars first, so let me know.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Lespaul59

Post by Lespaul59 »

Thanks guys. The left hand side lights up good and the readings are incorrect. Plus when you turn the lights on, the guages go out. I'm gonna take a quick video and post it on my next reply. Saw the one on e-bay and they said all I had to swap over was the odometer chip. Rettax3, Can you beat that e-bay price?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

For the blacking-out with the lights on, my Yellow Indy did that too. It was part of the dimmer circuit. Look under the dash below the light switch, you will find an aluminum heat-sink about 2x3 inches with a little round component about the size of a quarter screwed onto it. Replace both the round part (it has little ears on it that make it ovalish) and the electronic part that screws onto the other side of the heat-sink, you will probably be good. I don't recall off the top of my head what the teach manual calls it, the dimmer transducer or ballast or some such, but that is what it is.

As for the rest, yes, I think I can comfortably beat that e-bay price, at least by a little, but it won't be 'rebuilt' or 'reconditioned', but I can test it first. It might be a little while before I can get to it though, is that a problem? Shoot me a PM with your zip-code for shipping, and we can work out price and come up with a decent time-line...

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
Lespaul59

Post by Lespaul59 »

Thanks Rettax3! Gonna start removing it this weekend. I live in Atlanta Georgia by the way.Also couldn't upload the video cause the site said it couldn't support the AVI. jUST A LITTLE sONY CYBERSHOT. All the other forums work good.

Lespaul59

Post by Lespaul59 »

Rettax3 I sent you 3 pm's. Don't know if your on vacation but could you PM me for info?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Hi Lespaul59, returned your PM. Has anyone else had issues logging in (or even finding the site) lately? :roll: I was afraid the site went the way of bstuff... I'm fairly sure I'll find some comment elsewhere on here, this was just my first stop... :D

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26