Trouble shooting help please

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
LisaMartinez

Trouble shooting help please

Post by LisaMartinez »

My sketch
My sketch
Need help, I found parasitic draw or short in fuse #11 . Not blown but drains all the battery
My sketch
My sketch

ifixalot

Re: Trouble shooting help please

Post by ifixalot »

Fuse 11 path from a 1990 service manual. You have to check and see what is drawing electricity.
Attachments
HPIM1787.JPG

LisaMartinez

Post by LisaMartinez »

How would I do that

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

If you have already put an amp meter on the fuse connections and saw a drain of current, then you need to do that same hook up and go to the lights and cigarette lighter individually and wiggle wires and inspect looking for missing insulation etc. If you suddenly see no amps being drawn on the meter, you have found the area of drain. Make sure the car doors are closed so there are no amps being drawn by the dome light. I would think though, if you had a short circuit in the wires, you'd be blowing the fuse. All the lights get 12v positive and I think they get a ground through the door switches or the rotary switch on the dash so they'd be lit. I'd look at the lighter socket maybe corrosion in there. You can disconnect it and see if the drain will go away.