A/C stopped working

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
1995Z26

A/C stopped working

Post by 1995Z26 »

hey guys my a/c stopped working a while ago and i just got around to looking at it, and the compressor is not kicking on, i bout a 134a manifold set from autozone and hooked up the low side and it read full with the a/c off, i could not hook up the high side cause the quick connect would not fit, it was too tight, anywho i found the a/c relay was not working, i jumped it and the a/c compressor kicked on but blew hot air and the gauge read low now, i attempt to add freon via the manifold and the gauge jumps to danger, and will not take no freon in, what am i missing here? also the 3 wire connector on the top hose what is that? the high side pressure? where is the low pressure switch?

rweatherford

A/C stopped working

Post by rweatherford »

Your AC is computer controlled.  The three wire sensor is not a switch but a pressure sensor.  Do you have an actual gauge manifold set?  If so what are the pressures running?  If the pressure is over about 50 PSI then the AC should kick on.  If not then just add the freon until it comes on.  I think it will kick off if the pressure gets down to about 15-20 and on when it is around 45 PSI.

I don't understand how you could have a pressure in a "danger" zone if you are on the low side of the compressor.  What is the "danger" zone?

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

90_Black_GTZ

A/C stopped working

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

I know there's a Highway to the Danger Zone.

Pressures won't read right if the compressor is off.  I'd add freon.

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles
HateMyAuto

A/C stopped working

Post by HateMyAuto »

I'd not go by the crap you can buy at Autozone and pay $20.00 or less to have some shop look at it. Most of them are running A/C specials around now anyways.

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro
Jeff P

A/C stopped working

Post by Jeff P »

The compressor also won't run if the pressure is too high.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi