Weird idle

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
niter3

Weird idle

Post by niter3 »

Ok let me begin with my air intake I installed a couple months back. I installed this new air intake onto the system and had stupid problems just getting it on right. Well it all seems to be on just tight now. In the morning I can start my car and you hear a big sucking sound from the car. Obviously my guess is the aftermarket air intake. Ok that's summed up.

When my car has been running for a few minutes I find that during idle my car is constantly dropping idle and popping right back up, and dropping and popping right back up. I have a digital dash so what I'm seeing is a bar drops down and raises back up right away. I know this doesn't sound like an issue, but since it has started doing this the car runs rougher. I've also noticed if I go to gun the car, the car seems to want to stall for a second then it just goes!  

Also sometimes after driving my car I will start my car and the idle hits 1500 with the biggest sucking sound possible! Then it calms downs and goes away. Now this problem has been there even before the air intake!

P.S: I'd like to add in that I put a new PCV valve in and just a few days later this idle issue started.

Personally my guess is a hose link somewhere in the car, but for the life of me I can't find it! I've also confirmed a billion times that the air intake I have installed is seated on properly.

wicked-irocz

Weird idle

Post by wicked-irocz »

(niter3 @ Oct. 05 2005,07:31)Q
U
O
T
EP.S: I'd like to add in that I put a new PCV valve in and just a few days later this idle issue started.
could very well be a bad pcv valve or a crack in that hose.  What your describing sounds like a vaccuum leak and I would check anything you touched while changing the pcv.  You may have also knocked off a hose in close proximity to the pcv

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
niter3

Weird idle

Post by niter3 »

I've been looking like crazy. I'm just not having any luck finding this anywhere. I was hoping there is something I could do that would find it for me real quick?

Weird idle

Post by Guest »

There is the old WD-40 trick, it works on rubber lines. Spray 1 hose at a time WD-40 will seal up small holes in lines till it dries. this way you'll know what hose to replace if it's a hose.

Weird idle

Post by Guest »

i was going to try the old spray the hose trick on my lumina in the morning as my idle has started doing this on warm restarts for 30 seconds or so-though not up to 1500 rpm.If you find the trouble on your beretta let me know.And if it is the pcv -that's great for you and ok for me i guess-but on the 91 lumina 3.1 that pcv  is a son-of a gun(not exactly hard but a bit more time consumeing.),easy as cake on a 3100.
  Good luck-and sorry to bring in the lumina -but i couldn't resist the thread for obvious reasons-and most likely i will see the same thing on the Beretta eventually.

Weird idle

Post by Guest »

did you find it yet?
  my problem i mentioned above has shown itself.---now this may sound strange-but trust me -it is a possibility,as i have had it happen on other cars over the years,.
  today-as i was driveing home-i started hearing a clear and distinct vacuum leak--everytime i braked.---I have a leak developed in the brake vacuum booster---which in turn pulls vacuum from the engine -thus messing the idle.
  Possibly the check valve-but i would bet dollars to donuts the vacuum diapraghm itself.
  I am not saying that would be your problem-but if you suspect a vacuum leak--that you cannot find.-pay attention to the brakes as you go along .