oil pressure gauge high reading

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
btaylor

oil pressure gauge high reading

Post by btaylor »

The oil pressure gauge needle in my '91 gt 3.1L seems to be "stuck" in the highest position... (well past 80)
That is, it doesn't return to the "neutral" position...even when the ignition is turned off...
I recently had the oil changed, the radiator flushed and the temp gauge also seems to be fine...
The car starts fine and runs Ok except for some occasional "kick back" ( I don't know how else to describe it) and that "loping" most times when I'm stopped at a red light (usually after the engine has warmed up)
Also, after idling at the light a while, there's a type of "exhaust fume" smell that's not quite like gas or "rotten eggs" so i'm wondering if it's simply an exhaust leak or catalytic converter issue...

As for the "loping", I've read a lot here about iac valves, throttle body sensors, and O2 sensors, etc...

I know a tune-up will help also, as I've only had the car a short time...
Any other ideas? (especially pertaining to the oil pressure gauge issue)

Money pit Beretta

Re: oil pressure gauge high reading

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Is the idle going up and down? If it is it's the purge valve on the vapor canistor. I spent a lot of time and money trying to track that down. Just to be sure it's not somewhere else, spray some carb cleaner around the intake and see if the idle changes. Also be sure to check all the vac lines.
Knock on you cat and see if something sounds loose.
Unplug your oil pressure sensor and see if the needle goes down. It is by the starter.

keep'em flying!
72chevman

Post by 72chevman »

I just changed my sensor as it was doing the same thing yours is. $20 at autozone. Just makes sure you get the one for a car with gauges. Then you will need a $10 special socket. The sensor is 1 1/16" but really deep, so a standard deep well socket will not fit. The factory sensor was shallow enough that a deep well socket would work, but not the one I bought. It is a blind change. You can feel it, but can't see it. It is just above the starter like said above. You can do it from above. Kinds tight to get the socket & ratchet in there between the fan & the motor, but can be done.

1996 Purple Z26 with 88,??? miles
btaylor

Post by btaylor »

So the sensor CAN be reached from inside the hood instead of having to jack the car up?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

btaylor wrote:So the sensor CAN be reached from inside the hood instead of having to jack the car up?
Its a little rough, but yeah... remove the fan and you'll get better access with a wrench. It is kinda hard to see with the manifold in place so most of it's done by feel.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"