I think I messed up Royally

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Dan88GT

Post by Dan88GT »

I got an 88 Beretta 2.8 auto 98K miles I tore it down and replaced the back head with one from a salage yard. When you start the car, it sounds like a small block chevy with a massive cam in it. The SES light is on and is showing code 33. I have torn intp several 2.8/3.1 engines, and have never had this problem before. You also can not hold the engine at say 2,000 rpms. As soon as you tap the gas, it goes up to 3,000-3,500+ rpms.

I have checked all the plug wires, and they are hooked up to the correct plugs. All the sensors are pluged it. I keep thinking I messed up the push rods when I put them back in.  I am going to tear it back down once it cools down.  Anything else I should check?  Also If I did mess the push rods up, what length goes to whitch valve?  Thanks

2002 Camaro Z-28(play toy)
1988 Beretta GT(Daily Drivier).
CKr

Post by CKr »

If you messed up putting the pushrods in the wrong places I'm guessing you're going to have to replace them. I'd check for a vacuum leak.

Cory
------
96 BRM Z26, 98 Estoril Blue BMW M3
Dan88GT

Post by Dan88GT »

I got the lower intake off and found that the pushrods were installed correctly.  I kept getting code 33 when I had the car running MAP sensor signal was too high (low vacuum) for 2 seconds when throttle angle was less than 2%.  Im starting the think the lower intake gasket wasn't installed correctly.  Im also going to do a compression check to make sure the valves are sealing correctly on the used head I got.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Check your plenum gasket for cracks or missing chunks.  If you over tightened (using an impact or too much elbow grease) the bolts for the intake (lower/upper) you might have a hairline crack sucking major air.

Edit:  

_________
-------------
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Did you get the brake booster hose hooked back up?  etc....

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Dan88GT

Post by Dan88GT »

Got it back together and works fine.  I forgot to scrape one of the gasket surfaces when I had it apart   .  Good ol' Dremel with a wire wheel and a new gasket set got it fixed up.  Thanks for the help.