Transmission Clunks going from Reverse to Drive

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
greyfox

Post by greyfox »

U-joint?

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: Transmission Clunks going from Reverse to Drive

Post by heavywoody »

No such thing on these cars.

Probably a motor or transmission mount.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Most likely transmission mount. FYI: U joints are on rear wheel and 4 wheel drive vehicles. FWD vehicles have CV Joints.

greyfox

Post by greyfox »

SuzukiGhostRider wrote:Most likely transmission mount. FYI: U joints are on rear wheel and 4 wheel drive vehicles. FWD vehicles have CV Joints.
Good to know, learn something new every day. So i should check the engine and transmission mounts?

beretta

Post by beretta »

does it vibrate while driving ? does it click if you turn sharp one way or the other while moving?

my car was clunking at a stop and taking off, same going reverse to drive, it was a sloppy ball joint causing it.

Could be a number of things, basically check each thing over and look for loose or parts with play in them, with the hood open and a helping hand, have someone hold their foot on the brake and go from drive to reverse maybe applying some throttle and see if you can see the engine moving alot, it will move some, mine rolls back and forth alot and my mounts seem to be good.

I had my car jacked up and couldnt budge the ball joints either way, but while it was jacked up i had someone putting it in reverse to drive and turning the wheel back and forth looking for things that could be loose thats how i found the bad ball joint.

Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

My guess is mounts.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
greyfox

Post by greyfox »

Sorry for taking so long to reply ive been swamped. It only clunks when going from reverse to drive, or drive to reverse so i am willing to bet its the tranny mount. Hopefully tomorrow i will actually get it up on my ramps to take a good long look at the underside and see what i need to do.

beretta

Post by beretta »

even with good mounts our engines still move a fair amount. i have front top rad support mounts from a lumina im going to eventually put on my 96. the brackets all fit the engine but the dog bone mounts need to be shortened to work.

its probably your mounts like you said. but it could be the control arm bushings or ball joints or cv shaft. a cv shaft will normally cause vibration while driving and clicking more then clunking. if its the control arm bushings or ball joints it should be easy to tell if either are bad by looking under it while someone puts it from reverse to drive and crank the wheel back and forth if anything is moving you will spot it easy

greyfox

Post by greyfox »

beretta wrote:even with good mounts our engines still move a fair amount. i have front top rad support mounts from a lumina im going to eventually put on my 96. the brackets all fit the engine but the dog bone mounts need to be shortened to work.

its probably your mounts like you said. but it could be the control arm bushings or ball joints or cv shaft. a cv shaft will normally cause vibration while driving and clicking more then clunking. if its the control arm bushings or ball joints it should be easy to tell if either are bad by looking under it while someone puts it from reverse to drive and crank the wheel back and forth if anything is moving you will spot it easy
It clunks before i even move so i am positive its not the ball joints or cv shaft. I mean if i am at a stand still, the instant i shift from drive to reverse or vise versa it clunks, not when i drive, just when i change.