LS1/t56 swap

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Alxsmt

Re: LS1/t56 swap

Post by Alxsmt »

well Im finally getting around to figuring out the image hosting issues. I think im just going to stick with photobucket and pay for it. If any of the images dont work let me know!

I have definitely made some progress since my last update.

This is the theory on my rear subframe mounts. Made from 1/4" flat stock.

tacked in

front side

tigged in! it is an absolute whore trying to lay in the trunk of a car, control the pedal with your elbow, feed filler rod, and work the torch.

and this is where it currently sits!! subframe is held in by C clamps, I have all my hardware to bold it in except for my weld on nuts which are in the mail. I might add a few extra mounts on the subframe for good measure but undecided at the moment.

just got confirmation from Art Morrison today that they can bend this in there mandrel bender. I will be placing my order for 2 of these next week. This is the front frame rail section!

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Sweet! Looks great, can't wait to see more.

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Thanks! Cant wait to get it rolling!

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

little bit of an update..

Rear subframe is bolted in.

Making sure everything is still squared up.

Frame rails!

Cut more of the floor out

More test fitting and mockup.

It begins.

Notched out. Ended up deciding to give the tires 1/4" more clearance, which will make the headers a bit more of a challenge.. but I think its the right choice. Support is in the way so it doesnt fit in this picture. Wasnt ready to cut it out.

Closer.

and it fits.

The current state. Very minor tweaking, little bit of prep to go. I could have welded it up tonight but im not sure what to do with the front of the frame rails to tie it all together. Have to put some thought into it.. Its VERY close to rolling. Very close to getting engine and trans mounts..

One idea is to cut the front off and put my cage through it. Not sure if its a good idea yet...

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Finally doing an update! I thought I had more pictures but I guess not... had to take a break to get my gambler500 car ready and do a bunch of work on the house. I feel like ive made pretty good progress tho, getting back at it again!

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

put the car on the scales just because. No engine, and it was just 1 scale in the back.

you can somewhat see bracing finished up by the control arms, upper and lower. Also got the frame notched out for the steering rack and boxed back in. The steering rack is a bit tighter than I had hoped... Guess I did something wrong on that lol. It does fit but not easy to get it in place!

JUST about where the engine and trans is going to sit. Its currently within an 1/8" side to side, angle is within 1* with the rear diff. Just need to get a measurement on the driveshaft angle still but I think it will be correct.

Just a quick mockup, I was curious. That transmission is massive...

I have parts to build engine/trans mount parts in the mail, Need to swap my tail housing on the transmission to the fbody style before I can do the trans mounts tho.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yeah, those T56 are huge. I had to cut the piss out of my Camaro tunnel to fit it, and that was already RWD! Loving how this is turning out. I see it's 5 years from your initial post. How much of a head start did you have before posting? Just curious.

I keep daydreaming of a quick & dirty 5.3 swap with a T56 and leaf springs. Turn mine into a drift turd. Keep the stupid strut front end (new tie rod mounts obviously) and cut up the rear to make some leaf hangars with probably a Ford 8.8 out of a Ranger. Lincoln lock that thing and use the other set of holes in my wheels (5x114.3). I dunno. Probably talking out of my ass... But after my 8yr (and still not done) Camaro project, it would be kinda fun to throw something sloppy together and pound on it. Less labor and more fun!

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Thanks! I wanna say 6 months or so, seems like I killed the clutch 1 race into the autocross season then started collecting parts and trying to get it all figured out.

The issue with that idea is the steering rack. I was planning to keep the stock rack and suspension at first but no way in hell the transmission would clear the rack. I think Barry has something figured out to run the factory front suspension I think. Cant remember the direction he went on it.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yeah, that's what I mean about moving the tie rod mounts. Probably go to the knuckle rather than the strut. I don't know if you could just relocate the rack, but I'd probably want a rack with a little more throw. Probably need something less bulky, too. I'll have to look back at his thread.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

I tried s14 front suspension, and something else. Maybe n body. Would have had to cut the unibody "frame" for the tie rods. If you have to do that.. May as well do double arms was my thought.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

woody90gtz wrote:Yeah, that's what I mean about moving the tie rod mounts. Probably go to the knuckle rather than the strut. I don't know if you could just relocate the rack, but I'd probably want a rack with a little more throw. Probably need something less bulky, too. I'll have to look back at his thread.
I think there would be a lot better feel and feedback going to the knuckles too -too much flex with the L-Body struts really. And "turning radius of a Chevy" is a common joke from me, for some reason they never quite turn tight enough -some extra rack movement would make a huge difference. I would love to see you throw something together like that.

Alxsmt, fantastic job getting the bay opened up enough for that drive-train. I work on 3rd-Gen F-Bodies, and can't imagine stuffing that T-56 through the tunnel, as Woody says about his Gen-2 Cammy. The engine looks very well placed, and wonderfully back keeping the weight between the wheels, but the transmission seems to be sitting very high. Is that just camera angle? Also, on the drive-shaft, it is desirable to have a couple of degrees of angle on each end to keep the U-Joints shifting and lubricated, so if you are down to 1*, you are already ahead of it. Unfortunately, every degree robs a little power and leads to vibration, but a little compromise here and there...

I may have missed it, did you weigh it before cutting and grafting in the frame?
Looks great though, still following the progress... :good:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Look Alex, I beat you to it! haha

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Rettax3 wrote:
woody90gtz wrote:Yeah, that's what I mean about moving the tie rod mounts. Probably go to the knuckle rather than the strut. I don't know if you could just relocate the rack, but I'd probably want a rack with a little more throw. Probably need something less bulky, too. I'll have to look back at his thread.
I think there would be a lot better feel and feedback going to the knuckles too -too much flex with the L-Body struts really. And "turning radius of a Chevy" is a common joke from me, for some reason they never quite turn tight enough -some extra rack movement would make a huge difference. I would love to see you throw something together like that.

Alxsmt, fantastic job getting the bay opened up enough for that drive-train. I work on 3rd-Gen F-Bodies, and can't imagine stuffing that T-56 through the tunnel, as Woody says about his Gen-2 Cammy. The engine looks very well placed, and wonderfully back keeping the weight between the wheels, but the transmission seems to be sitting very high. Is that just camera angle? Also, on the drive-shaft, it is desirable to have a couple of degrees of angle on each end to keep the U-Joints shifting and lubricated, so if you are down to 1*, you are already ahead of it. Unfortunately, every degree robs a little power and leads to vibration, but a little compromise here and there...

I may have missed it, did you weigh it before cutting and grafting in the frame?
Looks great though, still following the progress... :good:
Sadly the turning radius of the vette really sucks too... But Im kinda at the limit hitting the frame if I go much more with the 275/35/18s. Even closer with hoosiers I bet..

Thanks! I kinda hate how the engine sits tho, its going to be a pain to work on! Or pull/install when the sheet metal goes on. Gotta come out the top.. As far as the trans, it sits as high as it looks! The bottom is level with the bottom of the frame, which is about an inch or 2 below the floor. In reality I dont think its terrible compared to a c5 tho.. But the c5 is wider Inside I bet.. I do still have room for pedals.

As far as the driveshaft angle, im just refering to the transmission being parallel to the diff. The other angle is still not figured out, Ive been slacking and working on other projects.. I still need to figure out what It should be in an absolutely perfect work, thats my plan to try and get! Not that I can change it much from where it is... I didnt realise every degree killed more power, I just thought it was a vibration thing. First time ever setting up a driveshaft.

It was 2811lb with full interior, stereo, and me @ 150/160ish. I have no idea how it was so light with that and power everything. I didnt really do much to reduce weight I dont think

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

woody90gtz wrote:Look Alex, I beat you to it! haha
That looks good! Maybe you should go for it.. :-)

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

I don't have a huge update, But Its been a long time since I've even had a chance to work on the thing. My life has been consumed by work and sleeping for almost a year now.. plus all my many other small projects I dont have time for.. had a small break working 50s for a month or so but its back to 60s next week lol. But its a good thing for the car in a way. I have been collecting stuff for it, and im pretty confident it will be getting an LS3 when the time comes.

the engine is ready to mount, I just need to pull it out and clean off the minor surface rust before I weld the mounts in. Thats a day ordeal.. I just havnt been able to commit myself to it sadly..

SPL rear suspension components, titanium hardware, billet, and chromolly. I still need to decide on the lower control arms, SPL does not make them sadly.. Best stuff you can buy in my mind.

of course I have the engine management for a car that does not run, roll, or have an engine. I was worried they were going to make it tough to get one with all the new attacks on emissions components.. so I got it.

I also was able to add an upgrade to my bender. Its now a mandrel bender! So that means.. mandrel bent roll cage! Just need to do it.. but having the equipment is half battle!

also working on building a cnc router so I will be able to make my own parts out of aluminum and take the build to the next level. I dont know what im going to make yet for it.. but ill find plenty of things im sure. Actually got it for a few projects on other cars.

yes.. it gets better.. I have a cnc plasma cutter on order too.. ill be able to design and cut all my own brackets and anything else I might need. Pretty excited about it!! 

once I get my garage cleaned up again (working on it now) I'll be more motivated to spend an hour here and there working on the car. Engine is getting mounted this winter.. It has to happen.