3400 swap in 96 z26

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Rettax3

Re: 3400 swap in 96 z26

Post by Rettax3 »

Cam2363 wrote:
Dixie land wrote:I am gonna be attempting the same.swap for my 96 z26. Any other pointers for the swap.
I would recommend taking the trans and engine out as one unit. I struggled to get the engine in and out, and getting it mated to the trans was also a big struggle. I would also recommend doing the timing and water pump and gaskets on the new engine before you put it in.

The only real difference, which I believe was mentioned, is the one heater core outlet is different. I would recommend tapping that hole and putting a barbed adapter in to connect the hose.

Also make sure to drain the new block, there are 2 little drain plugs on each side, and then refill using standard green coolant. The dexcool can gum things up, and if its already out, clean it out and use green coolant.

And just make sure you torque everything properly, especially with the timing and the more internal things. The last thing you want is a bolt coming loose and knocking everything apart.

And you will either have to use the downpipe from the 3400, or use the rear exhaust manifold from the 3100 to connect back to your exhaust. I used the front 3400 and rear 3100 and I have no issues.

And if nothing else, at least do the lower intake manifold gasket while its out. Replace it using a metal style, not plastic. Ive used the Dorman ones from Autozone.

I would love to see a thread of you doing the swap! Take some pics and post them!
:Bravo: Awesome answer, Cam! You got pretty much everything covered there, and I agree with almost each point completely. ^^^Second to all of this, though I wouldn't replace the timing set on the 'new' engine unless I had a reason to (stretched chain or upgraded cam/valvetrain, etc), as the stock set in a stock engine just lasts on and on in my experience. Do remember the TB setup is a little different on the 3400 too, so you either want a donor 3400 cable that can work with the Beretta or mod the TB in some way, Cam had that figured out too I believe. :good: Make sure your donor 3400 has the correct impedance Fuel Injectors, as they switched those some time after 2000, I don't recall the exact year, maybe '04? The 'wrong' ones are very skinny and use a different plug for the wiring, they can damage your PCM. Stock N/A 3800 Series-II engines use the same injectors as the 'correct' 3400 type, so very available in the salvage yards if you are on a budget. Also looking forward to some pics...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:
Cam2363 wrote:
Dixie land wrote:I am gonna be attempting the same.swap for my 96 z26. Any other pointers for the swap.
I would recommend taking the trans and engine out as one unit. I struggled to get the engine in and out, and getting it mated to the trans was also a big struggle. I would also recommend doing the timing and water pump and gaskets on the new engine before you put it in.

The only real difference, which I believe was mentioned, is the one heater core outlet is different. I would recommend tapping that hole and putting a barbed adapter in to connect the hose.

Also make sure to drain the new block, there are 2 little drain plugs on each side, and then refill using standard green coolant. The dexcool can gum things up, and if its already out, clean it out and use green coolant.

And just make sure you torque everything properly, especially with the timing and the more internal things. The last thing you want is a bolt coming loose and knocking everything apart.

And you will either have to use the downpipe from the 3400, or use the rear exhaust manifold from the 3100 to connect back to your exhaust. I used the front 3400 and rear 3100 and I have no issues.

And if nothing else, at least do the lower intake manifold gasket while its out. Replace it using a metal style, not plastic. Ive used the Dorman ones from Autozone.

I would love to see a thread of you doing the swap! Take some pics and post them!
:Bravo: Awesome answer, Cam! You got pretty much everything covered there, and I agree with almost each point completely. ^^^Second to all of this, though I wouldn't replace the timing set on the 'new' engine unless I had a reason to (stretched chain or upgraded cam/valvetrain, etc), as the stock set in a stock engine just lasts on and on in my experience. Do remember the TB setup is a little different on the 3400 too, so you either want a donor 3400 cable that can work with the Beretta or mod the TB in some way, Cam had that figured out too I believe. :good: Make sure your donor 3400 has the correct impedance Fuel Injectors, as they switched those some time after 2000, I don't recall the exact year, maybe '04? The 'wrong' ones are very skinny and use a different plug for the wiring, they can damage your PCM. Stock N/A 3800 Series-II engines use the same injectors as the 'correct' 3400 type, so very available in the salvage yards if you are on a budget. Also looking forward to some pics...
Thanks Rettax3! I did do the TB swap, and it was really easy. I used an engine from a 99 grand am, and it was perfect
It had the right injectors, and the horizontal mount for the EGR valve, so that saved me some headache.

You could also just swap the whole fuel from the 3100 over. That's what I did because I knew my injectors worked, and the 3400 ones looked a little crusty. If you're going to be removing the injectors, get one of those o-ring kits and re o-ring them. I think it's like 15 dollars and will make sure there shouldn't be any leaks.

That's the guide I followed to do the TB linkage swap
https://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5704

And this one for the engine swap. This is actually a really well done guide and it really helped me out.
https://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24142

Also for mine, because i swapped the timing, I used the timing cover from the 3100. You could do that, or you could follow the steps on there on how to cut the extra stud off.

And while the engine is out, replace your rear main seal. It's super cheap and you will regret not doing it if it leaks down the line. Just install it correctly, unlike me. :fool:

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Another thing. If you want to take only the engine out and leave the trans in, there is a bolt that is really hard to access. To access it, there is a black bracket to the left of the engine, if you are looking in from the passenger side footwell. There's a few bolts holding it to the engine and trans. If you remove that, using like 3 feet of extensions, you can get that bolt. You will also have to remove it to separate the engine from the trans. I forgot about that and struggled for a bit trying to figure out what I did wrong lol.

Dixie land

Post by Dixie land »

Hello I have a few questions about doin this swap.

1 I know I can use my 96 z26 ecu and wiring harness. But if i get a complete 3400 swap engine tranny ecu and wiring harness can i use it all

2 will the tranny for 3400 be compatable, along with the my existing axless

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

What are you getting the 3400 out of? I wouldn't use the transmission out of a Malibu/Grand Am/Alero as they are weaker than the 4T60E that's in your car now.

There is no reason to use the wiring harness or ECU from the donor, you literally have a plug and play car being it's a 96.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Dixie land wrote:Hello I have a few questions about doin this swap.

1 I know I can use my 96 z26 ecu and wiring harness. But if i get a complete 3400 swap engine tranny ecu and wiring harness can i use it all

2 will the tranny for 3400 be compatable, along with the my existing axless
I agree with what heavywoody said. It is probably better anyway to use the original trans, unless yours is blown up. But I am pretty sure you still need the original ECU because it is compatible with the rest of the beretta electronics, but I am not sure.