broken brittle hose on a canister below the battery?

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
themadness

broken brittle hose on a canister below the battery?

Post by themadness »

what is the canister just below the battery? it has a red hose and a black hose. the black hose appears to have broken off and there is a hissing sound from that area. i have a pic of it from my phone if needed to identify it. i have a 3100 if that helps.

woody90gtz

Re: broken brittle hose on a canister below the battery?

Post by woody90gtz »

I'm guessing the vacuum canister. The hissing would be a vacuum leak. I deleted mine with no ill effects.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
themadness

Post by themadness »

the part the two hoses come from is sort of shaped like a tylenol caplet. oval and rounded. one red hose and one black from the top that split in different directions. the black goes up and appears to go somewhere under/around the battery. the hiss doesnt change if i put my finger of it.
Attachments
0127131326.jpg

camcore

Post by camcore »

on the 92s the washer fluid canister is under the battery.

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

It holds vacuum. You need the system closed for transmission to shift properly.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

This is now related to your trans now slipping. It will not fix your slipping trans though.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

woody90gtz wrote:I'm guessing the vacuum canister. The hissing would be a vacuum leak. I deleted mine with no ill effects.
Your vent system will not hold the selection you have as your engine drops vac while you accelerate, so it will continue to change from say floor vent to defrost every time you get on the gas and the engine VAC drops. That canister is there to keep the vac controlled climate controls working properly. And as Erich said you need to have a 1 way valve between this canister and your vac lines that T off to the vac modulator if an Auto. The modulator needs to see the change in vacuum to perform correctly.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themadness

Post by themadness »

interesting you say that.....i noticed my vents wouldnt change as i changed the settings. every setting came out the vents and no where else. no defrost or floor air.

can explain the one way valve thing? there are to lines that come out of the canister, one red and one black. they both come from the same outlet and then split. looks like an electrical plug with two wires coming out.

yes i have an auto

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

One line should feed out of the canister to a gray line coming out of your wiring harness which then goes into the cabin via the same way the electrical harness does on the passenger side,(96 the vac line comes out right where the main harness runs to the trans, 95 there should be a gray line that goes from up around the wiper motor down the fender side, and around the battery then down to the canister) the other one from the canister should go to a one way valve, (the valve has to be setup to allow it to pull a vac from the engine side in turn creating a vacuum in the canister but when the engine has no vac due to acceleration the valve closes and the canister will retain what vacuum was created at idle), it then goes to a T which then has one output going to the trans modulator and the other goes up to the vac port that is on the front corner of the engine plenum.

Your HVAC controls are not working because they are currently completely cut off from vacuum and have nothing to power them.

I had pictures of this a long time ago but I just can't seem to find them.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I don't use the HVAC in my car much, so I can't comment on that. I do know it does work with just a vacuum line running to it, but never played with it at WOT.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
themadness

Post by themadness »

my dad was a service manager at a chrysler dealership and has worked on cars for a long time(building and repairing engines) my father in law builds out board motors. both of them say that the whole engine can be affected by a vac leak in some way or another.

what else could a leak or broken hose like this one cause issues with?

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

themadness wrote:interesting you say that.....i noticed my vents wouldnt change as i changed the settings. every setting came out the vents and no where else. no defrost or floor air.

can explain the one way valve thing? there are to lines that come out of the canister, one red and one black. they both come from the same outlet and then split. looks like an electrical plug with two wires coming out.

yes i have an auto
I have something close to that, but only when it's cold out and it only comes out the vent and defrost(not the floor). When it's warm out I have no problems.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

woody90gtz wrote:I don't use the HVAC in my car much, so I can't comment on that. I do know it does work with just a vacuum line running to it, but never played with it at WOT.
It will "work" but it wont keep the setting you have when you accelerate, and it doesn't have to be WOT either, you could be chugging along in 5th hit a hill and just lay into the gas to maintain speed and you vac will drop to zero and if you have the floor vent blowing air you'll shortly be greeted by it blowing you in the face or out the defroster, I'm not sure which one is the zero point but it will revert back to that every time you put a heavy load on the engine and drop vac. It wasn't just put there to take up space, it does have a purpose.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themadness

Post by themadness »

i just bridged the 2 tubes with a slightly larger one by sliding it over the broken ends. might be a redneck repair but the hvac changes settings and the idle is much better. still wonder what else a vac leak in any part of the system can cause problems with.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Does your cruise control work?
I had the same problem with Jim's '94 I brought back from California.
Steph and Erich found the broken vac line under the battery.
Trans worked better, engine light stopped flashing now and then and the HVAC was fixed and the cruise worked.
Lots of stuff run off vac!!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.