Taking a Beretta shell and building a chassis

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
jhnlmb

Taking a Beretta shell and building a chassis

Post by jhnlmb »

The other day I could have sworn a had a stroke of genius. I really want to make a drift car with the profile of a Beretta. My idea is to build a chassis from scratch and drop a beretta shell on top, jam in an LS1 and a t-56. I know it wont be easy, but I can fund it and have the motivation to do it.

I just want to know if anyone has done this, or if a promod drag car chassis can be built for what I am looking for?

any help?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Taking a Beretta shell and building a chassis

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There are two V8 RWD swaps that are currently going on right now... One was dropping a beretta body onto a F-body floor and unibody setup. That is quite far along and is in need of some wide fender flares to fit the wheels... Another one is swapping in the torque tube drive line setup from a Corvette... That is another project that will require some widebody work when done but he is far behind the previous build.

There have also been many other V8 swap ideas tossed around, half started, and then eventually abandoned... I don't think the two above will be abandoned since both are quite committed but this is not a quick and easy job to do. It's taken both of them quite some time to get where they are.

LS1/T56 Swap
http://beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23988

Beretta Z28
http://beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13994

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Alex is going "regular" T56 in his last I knew - no torque tube. I think he's trying to stay away from widebody too.

Norm started the C5 corvette torque tube chassis Beretta, but gave up.

The v8 RWD Beretta challenge is something I'd like to do some day. Roadster Shop and Schwartz are a couple places that could probably build you a finished chassis with some measurements. But I have a hard enough time trying to get my other v8 RWD project finished anyway. Haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Yeah im just doing a standard t56 setup, factory looking body panels for a "stock look".

Only advice I have is set a time frame goal. Expect to tripple it. But.. if you can dream it, and want it bad enough, it can happen. Takes a ton of planning, work, and thought.

Drag cars have different regulations vs drift cars. I cant exactly tell you the difference.. im sure the steering would need to be modified in some way. But end of the day a promod drag car would be a rwd car to start with.

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

There was photos of a Beretta sitting on an S10 frame on the internet, but it was noticeable because it sat a bit higher and hard different wheels.
I also remember someone stumbled upon a Beretta (I think it was a blue one?) that was RWD and it was pretty well hidden from the outside.

The Pontiac 6000 had an awd version, I always thought it would be cool to see if the rear parts from that can work on a Beretta but that was about it.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

GT_Indy wrote:There was photos of a Beretta sitting on an S10 frame on the internet, but it was noticeable because it sat a bit higher and hard different wheels.
I also remember someone stumbled upon a Beretta (I think it was a blue one?) that was RWD and it was pretty well hidden from the outside.

The Pontiac 6000 had an awd version, I always thought it would be cool to see if the rear parts from that can work on a Beretta but that was about it.
www.smithperformance.com

Everything you will ever need!! :beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

For a drag car there front end setup would be great (didnt see it listed anymore tho). Looked like it would be a very limited for front tire room to me, just going off the pictures I saw when I was looking into front suspension.

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Whoa! Where did that old man come from?!

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

He pops in every once and a while... I wish he would drop in at a Bfest though.... I think he would get a standing ovation and he's scared of that ;)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"