Re: My Beretta's! :)

Post by B3r3tz »

Awesome! Great looking cars you have there

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

B3r3tz wrote:Awesome! Great looking cars you have there
Thanks. :)

I know I haven't posted an update recently, I've been busy with a lot of things. I attached some photos and wrote an update below.

The cars have been stored all winter so I haven't been able to do much with them, the 87 Cadillac I've been winter driving because heavy car + blizzak tires = awesome traction. The only downfall is I get like 10 mpg due to having a lightly modded 455 v8 and TH400 in the car. I did finish my 2.5 inch stainless exhaust on the Cadillac. I don't remember if I posted about that but I added a photo. Only recently started driving the Sunbird because it warmed up.

I want to start driving my gtz this summer but now and then I see remnants of salt on some roads so its staying off the roads till they clear all the way.
I've been researching a possible turbo LNF swap or maybe a larger I4 or v6 to swap in with a 6 speed MT or similar for the GTZ. But I also feel bad about wanting to modify such a nice vehicle so then I listed it for sale. I was thinking someone might give it a nice home because I can't make up my mind on it and I've been given some generous offers, but then I couldn't bring myself to go through with selling.

The novelty of owning a convertible like my sunbird as a daily is fun, but its kinda wearing off, so I've been thinking of selling that car too. And firm LE suspension + lighter vehicle = bumpy ride and its sometimes not fun.

The 96 I parked because the steering rack started making noise, I have a replacement I just need time to swap it out. Thinking of keeping that as my daily because I like the soft rid from the base springs. There is a good chance I will be driving longer distances so softer ride is better. Plus remote start means no waiting for it to cool down or warm up. lol
Last edited by GT_Indy on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

themixer

Post by themixer »

those look great!

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

themixer wrote:those look great!

The plan this year is to try and take many more photos of all of these cars, especially the Indy.

Oki_Hero

Post by Oki_Hero »

It'd be sweet to see a LNF swap I've mentioned it before but no one is sure how possible it is.

96 Corsica 2.2 3 speed auto (awaiting building)
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Oki_Hero wrote:It'd be sweet to see a LNF swap I've mentioned it before but no one is sure how possible it is.
My sky has the rwd turbo LNF in it. I'm not sure how different it is to the FWD version, if I knew I'd try and compare between the engines. It will be a long time before I decide anything though. I've also been looking at the turbo I4 camaro because I can get one of those with a convertible top.

Oki_Hero

Post by Oki_Hero »

I would think not much. For example a 2.2 cavalier motor would work in a s10 ( assuming they are in the same generation to null design changes) I'd assume the same would apply but I dont know for sure I'm spit ballin.

96 Corsica 2.2 3 speed auto (awaiting building)
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I think the bigest thing would be the engine harness and computer to interface with the stock gauges.
Engine mounts can always be welded and axles can always be machined.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Partial reason I haven't done anything Beretta related rescently.

My 455 cadillac

Cadillac Time Slip: (I am on the left, 1/4 mile 15.798 sec, 85.85 mph.) I think its pretty good for a 4500 lb car and a 2.73 rear gear. lol

And this is my plan for my 96 Beretta Z26 swap. The power steering was making a little noise this year so my plan is to just replace it. I figure its worth the cost considering I already did all the other front joints and it had paint not long ago.

I drove a newer chevy cruze with the 1.4 Liter turbo and the 6 speed, now I want one. lol. I'm thinking if I daily my 96 Beretta for about 7 more years and daily my sunbird for another 2-3 years I'll reach my break even point then I'll swap them both for a cruze in the future. I'm not sure about my cadillac though, it gets about 11 mpg and that money could be better spent elsewhere.
Last edited by GT_Indy on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Took the hood off and started taking it apart. I'm going to try pulling it without taking the brake booster out.
Also planning on cleaning out the vents and fixing the water leak that started like 3 months ago, that sealer just crumbles in my hands, planning to remove and replace with that silicone stuff.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Finally no rain, now I can get this done.
Last edited by GT_Indy on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Finally took a photo of the 88 Beretta CL engine.
Its like a time capsule!
Factory air filter, clamps, hoses, wires, plugs, etc. Only ever had fluid changes and a battery.
Time for a new air filter, AC pump, and 134a upgrade.

Rettax3

Re: My Berettas and Stuff :)

Post by Rettax3 »

That looks better than half the 5-year-old cars I see... :good: I like it, MAF and all!

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Rettax3 wrote:That looks better than half the 5-year-old cars I see... :good: I like it, MAF and all!
Thanks. :)
It was a great price, my family member couldn't pass it up.

Also, on my 96, I found the steering rack won't come out without removing the brake booster.
The good news is you don't have to remove the master cylinder and ABS, I leaned it forward and only removed the booster.
I also smashed my finger in the process and it started bleeding under the nail, but at least the new steering rack is installed and most of the car is put back together.
I like the soft ride suspension on the 96, I used to have it for sale in the past, but I since decided its better to keep the car with the softer suspension and sell the cars with the stiffer suspension. On a long road trip softer suspension and quieter running vehicle is much more enjoyable, even for daily driving.
Still looking for options to make my Cadillac quieter, still to loud for me.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I can't tell from the picture, but does your Caddy's dual exhaust have an H-pipe connecting the two? If not, try adding an H-pipe or X-pipe, that will make a huge difference in quieting it down. Also, even though the tucked-in tips are nice and even sophisticated, they will reverberate off the ground under the car and make it much louder in the cabin -getting them out from under will make the car louder to bystanders, but quieter for you. Other than that, you are installing quieter, restrictive mufflers, or glass-packs (or resonators) before them. My 3800 SC GTU still has five mufflers under it (including glass-packs), and is borderline too loud -but I also have higher compression than the stock SC 3.8 and short-run side outlets after a true dual-pipe setup, so loud is what the numbers add up to on that car. The 70MPH drone is actually one of the reasons I switched to the '06 six-speed in the first place...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26