Anyone know anything about stock keyless entry on beretta?

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
Cam2363

Anyone know anything about stock keyless entry on beretta?

Post by Cam2363 »

I think I heard somewhere else on this forum that factory keyless entry was an option on a 96 Beretta, but is super rare.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or is my memory not serving me right and this was never an option.

Thanks!

ifixalot

Re: Anyone know anything about stock keyless entry on beretta?

Post by ifixalot »

I'm not 100% sure about the Beretta keyless option but my 1994 Lumina mini van has
the factory keyless option so I don't see why it would not be available on a Beretta.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I've never seen a Beretta with a factory keyless entry option. I assume if one exists it would be a rare find.
But to the best of my knowledge, I don't think it was ever an option on the Beretta.

Mine has a Viper 4806 Keyless entry and remote start system that I added aftermarket, that can be an option if you are interested in adding a keyless feature to your vehicle.
My 96 has remote start, locks, unlocks, trunk, and rear defogger. It also flashes the lights when I use the remote. The horn I didn't connect because I like keeping the car quiet. My vehicle is also an automatic, remote starts on a manual risks the car taking off if it's left in gear when the car starts. With my GTZ I plan to add a run timer button to keep the car on for a set time after I start it manually.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:I've never seen a Beretta with a factory keyless entry option. I assume if one exists it would be a rare find.
But to the best of my knowledge, I don't think it was ever an option on the Beretta.

Mine has a Viper 4806 Keyless entry and remote start system that I added aftermarket, that can be an option if you are interested in adding a keyless feature to your vehicle.
My 96 has remote start, locks, unlocks, trunk, and rear defogger. It also flashes the lights when I use the remote. The horn I didn't connect because I like keeping the car quiet. My vehicle is also an automatic, remote starts on a manual risks the car taking off if it's left in gear when the car starts. With my GTZ I plan to add a run timer button to keep the car on for a set time after I start it manually.
Thanks! I planned to add a viper 5706V to my car. Its an auto so I dont have to worry about the manual part. I might not hook up the horn like you as I rather my car not put on a noise show for everyone else to hear.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

haha yah that is the same reason my horns are not connected to the remote start unit. I feel it's best when nobody knows when you are locking/unlocking your car.

One thing I've been trying to find out about is an aftermarket climate control unit that auto cools/heats based on temperature sensing. Because with our cars, we need to preset the climate controls before we leave for next time. Because now and then I find that the AC should have been off and the heater should have been on. Where I live weather can change at random when transitioning between summer/winter.
So far I don't know of anything I can use for that. Even if its just to control the temp dial, the fan and vent directions can be left alone.

One thing I never did which I think would be a good idea is to add a few relays to activate the brake kill switch if a dash light comes on for either low coolant, low oil pressure, or low oil level. It is probably not necessary, but I feel it would be a good safety feature to protect the engine if anything was to ever go wrong.

I do not know what features the Viper 5706V has, but I assume it is better than the 4806V that I've had, mine was installed several years ago.

I suggest when installing the remote start, that you do not cut the wires and splice them, instead find a good spot in the midle of your wires and strip off about 1 inch of insulation in the middle of the wire with a sharp knife, this way you do not break a solid connection. Then wrap the new wire around it and solder, then wrap with high quality electric tap.
I feel that is the best way to add the remote start without breaking existing connections, and this way it is all solid because it is all soldered.

On mine I did this, everything is soldered. I also used a mini butane torch to solder (you have to be careful with the flame, it can be easy to burn things), because most soldering irons seem to fail for me. lol. I suggest using a soldering iron instead of an open flame torch like I use because it risks starting a fire if its accidentally pointed at something else under the dash.
I also used an old computer CD tray metal cover as a solder drip pan to keep the solder from ruining my carpet/floor mats.

This is one way to open the middle of the wire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWX3yLGPMCM

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:haha yah that is the same reason my horns are not connected to the remote start unit. I feel it's best when nobody knows when you are locking/unlocking your car.

One thing I've been trying to find out about is an aftermarket climate control unit that auto cools/heats based on temperature sensing. Because with our cars, we need to preset the climate controls before we leave for next time. Because now and then I find that the AC should have been off and the heater should have been on. Where I live weather can change at random when transitioning between summer/winter.
So far I don't know of anything I can use for that. Even if its just to control the temp dial, the fan and vent directions can be left alone.

One thing I never did which I think would be a good idea is to add a few relays to activate the brake kill switch if a dash light comes on for either low coolant, low oil pressure, or low oil level. It is probably not necessary, but I feel it would be a good safety feature to protect the engine if anything was to ever go wrong.

I do not know what features the Viper 5706V has, but I assume it is better than the 4806V that I've had, mine was installed several years ago.

I suggest when installing the remote start, that you do not cut the wires and splice them, instead find a good spot in the middle of your wires and strip off about 1 inch of insulation in the middle of the wire with a sharp knife, this way you do not break a solid connection. Then wrap the new wire around it and solder, then wrap with high quality electric tap.
I feel that is the best way to add the remote start without breaking existing connections, and this way it is all solid because it is all soldered.

On mine I did this, everything is soldered. I also used a mini butane torch to solder (you have to be careful with the flame, it can be easy to burn things), because most soldering irons seem to fail for me. lol. I suggest using a soldering iron instead of an open flame torch like I use because it risks starting a fire if its accidentally pointed at something else under the dash.
I also used an old computer CD tray metal cover as a solder drip pan to keep the solder from ruining my carpet/floor mats.

This is one way to open the middle of the wire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWX3yLGPMCM
Thanks. I was going to use these connectors that you put a wire in and it pierces the wire and you put a spade connector in to splice off, but I will probably use those for the lower power things and use the spice method for the high power ignition wires. I will use a soldering gun for the soldering as that has plenty of power to do thicker wires. As for the CD drip tray, I love that idea. I have plenty of old cd drives that I can take apart and use the metal for that. I also have weathertech floormats, so if anything does drip, it won't be a huge deal.

And the new system Im getting has remote start and keyless entry. But also has inputs like defroster and stuff.

Also where did you connect the lock and unlock wires too?

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I connected my lock/unlock wires in parallel with the actual lock/unlock switch in the drivers door.
I sent a couple wires from under the dash through the door jam rubber and into the drivers door and soldered them in parallel with the buttons output wires. Made it easy because each switch controls both doors, however I still needed to control my added wires with 2 relays.
I also sent a 3rd wire to use the existing switches power for the so my relays can switch it as needed. I used a separate power source to power all of my relay coils.

These connectors or similar?
http://www.qiannipicture.com/pic/Upload ... CAA023.jpg
They are okay. I don't like them because over time the connection can become intermittent.

These are good:
http://media.highlight-led.de/products/images/2862.jpg
I like this when I cannot solder because its crimped and stays pretty good, some have built in heat shrink plastic like the one pictured but I still wrap them really well with high quality electric tape from 3M.

I soldered directly to my relays, but female spade connectors are probably just as good, plus if you ever have to replace a replay you can unplug it easily where as I would have to pull out my solder again. lol.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:I connected my lock/unlock wires in parallel with the actual lock/unlock switch in the drivers door.
I sent a couple wires from under the dash through the door jam rubber and into the drivers door and soldered them in parallel with the buttons output wires. Made it easy because each switch controls both doors, however I still needed to control my added wires with 2 relays.
I also sent a 3rd wire to use the existing switches power for the so my relays can switch it as needed. I used a separate power source to power all of my relay coils.

These connectors or similar?
http://www.qiannipicture.com/pic/Upload ... CAA023.jpg
They are okay. I don't like them because over time the connection can become intermittent.

These are good:
http://media.highlight-led.de/products/images/2862.jpg
I like this when I cannot solder because its crimped and stays pretty good, some have built in heat shrink plastic like the one pictured but I still wrap them really well with high quality electric tape from 3M.

I soldered directly to my relays, but female spade connectors are probably just as good, plus if you ever have to replace a replay you can unplug it easily where as I would have to pull out my solder again. lol.
That's what I did on my old car, ran wires into the door and tapped off the lock/unlock switch. I didn't have relays, however, but I will probably add them this time.

Those are exactly the connectors I was talking about. I figured I would use those as I'm trying not to modify the car much and have everything I do be completely reversible. But I want this to be a quality install.

Also, where did you stash the relays and the alarm computer? I've never seen under the dash so I don't know how much room is in there.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

There was space for me under the driver side of the dash, the door side of the steering column, that is where I put everything I added, up inside.
I mainly used relays because the Viper box, the signals are usually ground switches, so I give the relay coil a constant +12 volts and the box switches the coils negative side on as needed. Then the switched side of the relay controls whatever I connect it to and its isolated from the box.

Those connectors can work, I just prefer not to use them because I think they risk hot spots, corrosion, and possibly breaking the wire inside if it cuts too deep. But that is because I come from the idea that all connections should be soldered and sealed. lol.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:There was space for me under the driver side of the dash, the door side of the steering column, that is where I put everything I added, up inside.
I mainly used relays because the Viper box, the signals are usually ground switches, so I give the relay coil a constant +12 volts and the box switches the coils negative side on as needed. Then the switched side of the relay controls whatever I connect it to and its isolated from the box.

Those connectors can work, I just prefer not to use them because I think they risk hot spots, corrosion, and possibly breaking the wire inside if it cuts too deep. But that is because I come from the idea that all connections should be soldered and sealed. lol.
I agree with the soldering part. I used to believe in that when reconnecting wires, but in some spots, using butt connectors is so much easier and faster.

But thanks for your help. Once I get this, it will be nice having keyless entry and also a remote start. I live in PA and the summers can be very hot and humid and the winters can be really cold. Especially in the summer, a black car with a red interior can get pretty hot.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Yah my 96 is a Black car with grey interior and it gets very hot in the summer time. I'm in ohio.
That is also why I added high powered radiator fans that sound like a mini jet engine, it also helps make my AC colder than the factory fan could do at idle.

I set my remote start timer to 1 hour but I'm almost always in the car within 10-15 minutes of it running. Its nice in the winter, I'll remote start it when I wake up in the mornings and a half hour later when I'm ready to leave its fully thawed and warm inside. lol.

My viper 4806 box has a built in temp sensor that auto starts my rear defogger when its below a certain temp. I don't know if your box has this but it was nice to realize that one day when I forgot to start the defogger timer manually.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:Yah my 96 is a Black car with grey interior and it gets very hot in the summer time. I'm in ohio.
That is also why I added high powered radiator fans that sound like a mini jet engine, it also helps make my AC colder than the factory fan could do at idle.

I set my remote start timer to 1 hour but I'm almost always in the car within 10-15 minutes of it running. Its nice in the winter, I'll remote start it when I wake up in the mornings and a half hour later when I'm ready to leave its fully thawed and warm inside. lol.

My viper 4806 box has a built in temp sensor that auto starts my rear defogger when its below a certain temp. I don't know if your box has this but it was nice to realize that one day when I forgot to start the defogger timer manually.
Awesome. Im not sure if it does, but I would assume it does as it is newer and better than your system. But its always nice getting into your car and it is comfortable and ready to go.