1993 Quad4 GTZ: Project WTF

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
DanteGTZ

Re: 1993 Quad4 GTZ: Project WTF

Post by DanteGTZ »

Well, Project WTF lives up to its name again! Sort of. I initially named it that because when I got the car the previous owner sold me the car without and installed engine/trans and claimed to include all of the original stuff with the car -- which I later discovered was a lie. I had to source much of the drivetrain separately because he basically sold me a 1993 GTZ with mostly 1990 engine stuff. Anyway, that's long since resolved, but the car had me going WTF last night.

About a week ago I took the car out to run some errands and while doing some runs near the rev limit (~7550) I went to shift from 1-2 and it wouldn't shift. I pulled into a lot and checked it out thinking maybe I'd hurt the clutch. There really wasn't any noise so I didn't think it was internal to the trans. I could shift just fine with the engine off but I had no clutch pedal at all. Figuring it was the master/slave cylinder I was able to put the car in gear, start it in 1st and then rev-match and get it through the gears well enough to get me home.

Last night I pulled the trans and discovered that the clutch decided to eject a portion of friction material. Thankfully the pressure plate caught most of the material so it didn't do any damage to the transmission itself.

The clutch itself was a very basic, Chinese made Valeo/Perfection unit from Advance Auto. I bought it in 2013 when I first put the car together. I was spending so much money at the time just to get the car on the road that I opted to go with a lower quality unit, knowing I wasn't going to be attempting to put down any real HP numbers... Apparently that clutch wasn't up to the task of spinning that fast. When the friction material came off, the pressure plate fingers sunk in on one side which then caused the release bearing to sit crooked and create a leak in the slave cylinder. So... looks like I'm in the market for a better clutch. I'll also be putting in a new clutch master and slave cylinders as well as a stainless braided hydraulic line to get rid of the oem plastic one.
clutch1.jpg
clutch2.jpg
clutch4.jpg
Oh, and I hadn't seen this before. Apparently this was written on my clutch when it was out of the car during Bfest2015 in Biloxi when we had to retorque my flywheel bolts... hehe
clutch3.jpg

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

With the transmission out of the car, I was able to easily install the new select arm rebuild kit from Rodney Dickman. It reduced the slack in the selector by more than ~90%. Can't wait to try it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgh2v1ajZvE

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

DanteGTZ wrote:With the transmission out of the car, I was able to easily install the new select arm rebuild kit from Rodney Dickman. It reduced the slack in the selector by more than ~90%. Can't wait to try it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgh2v1ajZvE
I'm thinking I should get one of those as well. The GTZ has some left/right slack.
Last edited by GT_Indy on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

You guys have done some CRAZY mods on these cars.

What is the PN for those wilwood fronts ??

1995 Z26 - 3500 5spd TURBO
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

banzai92gt wrote:You guys have done some CRAZY mods on these cars.

What is the PN for those wilwood fronts ??
My kit was 140-8423-B which included the black calipers and solid rotors. I've seen it for just over $700 recently online.

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Since I'm in the market for a new clutch, I looked at what options are still available. Since the oem style clutch that I was using came apart, I wanted to go with something better. At the recommendation of many members here, I went with a Clutchmasters FX-300 (Stage 3) kevlar unit. I don't really need it for power as I MIGHT be making 200hp but I don't think the overkill will harm anything - looks like a bunch of guys here are running the same clutch and I couldn't find a single bad review of it used in a Beretta. Hopefully it gets here sooooooooon!

FWIW - I ordered from THMotorsports.com. I also bought my Koni suspension from them. Smooth transactions so far. I found the best price for the clutch (p/n 04088-HDTZ) on another site but asked THM if they'd price match and they did. It never hurts to ask -- As they say -- You won't get if you don't ask...
00440469_0.jpg

banzai92gt

Post by banzai92gt »

DanteGTZ wrote:Since I'm in the market for a new clutch, I looked at what options are still available. Since the oem style clutch that I was using came apart, I wanted to go with something better. At the recommendation of many members here, I went with a Clutchmasters FX-300 (Stage 3) kevlar unit. I don't really need it for power as I MIGHT be making 200hp but I don't think the overkill will harm anything - looks like a bunch of guys here are running the same clutch and I couldn't find a single bad review of it used in a Beretta. Hopefully it gets here sooooooooon!

FWIW - I ordered from THMotorsports.com. I also bought my Koni suspension from them. Smooth transactions so far. I found the best price for the clutch (p/n 04088-HDTZ) on another site but asked THM if they'd price match and they did. It never hurts to ask -- As they say -- You won't get if you don't ask...
00440469_0.jpg
Same clutch in my 95, love it!

where did you find the wilwoods for $700!?

1995 Z26 - 3500 5spd TURBO
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

FYI, I think wilwood is discontinuing the kit...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

What makes you think that?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Your old clutch-disc looks a lot like the one that came out of my GTU six years ago. Not really that clutch's fault either -with conservatively guestimating over twice the HP and about twice the torque that it was designed for (maybe about 320 vs 160 ft-lbs), it nonetheless served me well for years before succumbing to the abuse of towing another car for a move across country...
BOOM!
BOOM!
After this, I switched to a 12-puck ceramic disc and higher-performance (Stage-3) pressure-plate. I had to change-out the disc again a little while later when I upgraded to the six-speed F40, but these performance clutches are the best way to go. I like the look of yours a lot, I bet it doesn't have the same grabbiness of my puck-style clutch either. :good:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I feel like I'm the only one here who never broke a clutch on a Beretta. lol

I did have a throw out bearing fail once on my 88 GT causing it to spin and pop off the fork. That was scary because those clutch forks can't be found unless you get lucky and buy another 282 trans. lol.

I got lucky that day, engine stalled when it spun and I never restarted it because I immediately knew the clutch didn't feel right.

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

GT_Indy wrote:I feel like I'm the only one here who never broke a clutch on a Beretta. lol

I did have a throw out bearing fail once on my 88 GT causing it to spin and pop off the fork. That was scary because those clutch forks can't be found unless you get lucky and buy another 282 trans. lol.

I got lucky that day, engine stalled when it spun and I never restarted it because I immediately knew the clutch didn't feel right.
This was my first failure (other than just worn out). I blame it on the cheap, Chinese clutch and the 7500+ RPM shifts. ;)

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

DanteGTZ wrote:
GT_Indy wrote:I feel like I'm the only one here who never broke a clutch on a Beretta. lol

This was my first failure (other than just worn out). I blame it on the cheap, Chinese clutch and the 7500+ RPM shifts. ;)
I was at idle in my driveway in 1st gear when it failed on me. I'm surprised yours held that long for you. lol

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Got the Clutchmasters today and put it in the car this evening. Still need to button a few things up but hopefully I'll get things complete by tomorrow evening. After all this, I hope I can put a few miles on this car before it needs anything else... haha!
20180724_173757.jpg
20180724_192544.jpg
20180724_224445.jpg