NC road trip to pick up my pickup

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
Rettax3

Re: NC road trip to pick up my pickup

Post by Rettax3 »

I am ROFLing at myself here... I thought the 7427 was the transfer-case model! I am just not really a truck person... But, if you are transferring drivetrain, wouldn't you just move your old ECM to the new home too? I am surprised that the auto uses a different ECM than the M/T version. Different programming, obviously, but the whole unit is different?... I think we found out that the '95 C/K series had a strange computer for the time in that the ECT is built into the ECM, rather than a separate module as with the older TBI Chevys. I've got one in a box, now I am curious what the number is... If you are planning on towing that truck back with yours, just be careful -adding the weight of the trailer means that you are towing more weight than you are driving. Not unheard of, but I did have minor issues (aside from the major issue of the clutch-disc disintegrating) towing one Beretta with another cross-country several years ago. Of course FWD cars are a different world than a pickup... :good:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yeah, i'll definitely keep my ECM, but the wiring is different for the other computer. I'd have to repin the harness if it didn't already come with the 7427. And yes, the 7427 has the ESC built in with no external module.

I'm actually going to keep my truck's ECM as a backup plan and modify the new one for MPFI. There are a couple resistors to change out and a jumper to add to the prom to make it control 8 injectors. I'm gonna cut off the TBI injectors and use a metripak connector to splice in the MPFI harness. (That way if something is really screwy with the MPFI setup I can go back to TBI.) I already have extra 36lb injectors and the 8cyl harness from the used EFI kit I bought for the Camaro that I decided not to use. And my fuel pump is already a TPI unit so I should be good pressure-wise.

MPFI conversion info here:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inject ... 1#post2855

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

So...water heater project tonight got deeper than planned. Home ownership sucks. So the pickup truck pick up is postponed until next weekend. But the dude is super cool with it. That was a phone call I dreaded but it was a piece of cake.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah renting is so much better..........

:crazy:

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

It is. In my town anyway. I've paid $1000/mo for 9 years and about $20k in upgrades and repairs and I still have no equity. I'd never buy here again.

Walton was actually in the Wall Street Journal today about small rural towns collapsing...

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Just cash-wise, it may not look good on paper, but imagine if you had been renting and 5 years ago, the owner felt like selling, or upping your rent 25% just because moving is such a PITA they knew you'd take it up the back-end to stay in your home... :no: I don't know what it would have been like for you really if you had been renting for the last nine years, maybe it WOULD have been better, but at least your home was and is your home. Is your no-equity situation accounting for nine years of inflation? Personally, I give you a thumbs-up for owning (and taking care of) your home for that long. :good:

I hated renting, and never want to do it again, even though we had an interim house for about two years while we were relocating, and that was a good experience with a great landlord. We have been fortunate enough to see very nearly a 100% equity growth in our old house since early 2000's (it helped that we got it a little under market-value back then) -so now we are offering our tenants a chance to buy it, as they have said they wanted to since moving in four years ago. We'll see where that goes... It would be a bitter-sweet event for us; a lot of good memories with that house, heck, that is where I built my GTU! The place STILL doesn't have a garage! :crazy: We have living Christmas trees planted there, and so much more.

How bad was your water-heater project? Damage to surrounding structure, or just issues with the pipes or something?

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The basement is finished, so the subfloor was ruined around it. I've pulled up 1/4 of the floor and need to keep going. I like the black out look...but it's not good for plywood and 2x's. Nasty moldy mess. The indirect water heater had an internal leak causing the boiler pressure to rise and drip out the relief valve. It must have been doing it for quite a while before I saw it, cause the water got under the plywood by the wall and migrated.

The problem with housing values around here is all the foreclosures. NYCitiots drove prices up around here buying weekend homes when the economy was good, then stopped paying them when times got tough. In general the employment situation around here isn't great anyway...so there are plenty of locals defaulting too. Two of my three neighboring houses are empty right now. One foreclosure that just sold for $20k being fixed up now, and one next to me that's on the market for about the same, but probably going to go to auction for taxes.

My parents got lucky. They bought a foreclosure for $60k and only had to put about $12k in it and they sold their old house for $68k. Mine is a lot nicer, but there's had more square footage and the garage lured in a derby addict. Haha

Price per square foot my house looks super high compared to the rest of the market. (Mine is late 80s construction and most around here are early 1900s.)

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

So I picked up the truck and now I'm unloading it. I got all the way out there and it was worse than the pics showed...body and frame. The kid took pics of all the good stuff and none of the bad. It was getting dark and monsooning so it was hard to see how bad it was or wasn't. I thought about leaving it there, but decided to take the chance on it for a cheaper price. Once I got it home I decided to try and flip it and then part it out if that doesn't work. I got a trans and some other stuff from my bro-in-law's Suburban he was parting to get it back functional. It actually runs pretty well. We'll see how this goes.

Oh yeah. And it does do burnouts!
https://youtu.be/eyW4wjvrjYk

Last edited by woody90gtz on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Man, that sucks. I don't think you got a really bad deal out of it, but to get all phsyched-up then hit that let-down... Yeah, I've been there and it sucks all right, sorry it wasn't what it should have been for you.

When I went down to pick up my old Plymouth several years ago, I had specifically asked the guy if it was mechanically up to the seven or eight hundred mile trip of going home, I wanted to drive the thing and get to know it. Besides, how much fun couldn't you have driving a big-block four-speed muscle-car across the country in nice sunny summery weather? I specifically told the guy I wasn't expecting him to have a crystal-ball, but anything he knew that was bad, I wanted to know about. He said the car was perfect, except that it might overheat 'because it is a big-block.' Which is bull-$#!t, this isn't the first one of these cars I had owned, either. Of course, he highly recommended trailering it, just in case... Yeah. I didn't get out of town before the clutch-pedal started falling to the floor. He threw a hundred bucks back to me as a 'hey sorry', which was more than fair because the car had been bought as-is, unseen, and there really was no way to know the clutch was dropping out (I later found out it was literally just the adjuster-nut that was stripped-out, but we didn't know it at the time. It was a good thing it did that though, as I found the throw-out bearing snout on the front of the tranny was broken, and I had to weld it back up at home). I got stuck trailering the car home behind a gas-guzzling empty U-Haul. Disappointing and expensive. I found out later that the 'big-block overheating' was because of a 90% plugged radiator -not even original nor correct, as it had transmission-cooler fittings on it... The car ran great until you hit the highway, then you could watch the temperature needle moving -he knew the car wouldn't make it, but wouldn't come out and say so. Add the fact that the distributor advance had seized-up which made the thing a bear to re-start hot. The alignment was off too, and before the clutch went, um, 'out', I stopped by a shop and bought two used wheels and tires so I wouldn't rip the $500 worth of Coker bias-ply tires off the front wheels trying to drive the thing down 700+ miles of highway.

If people were just honest about their junk, how bad would it really hurt them? Worst case, you don't sell your rig for what you want out of it, but you should still get what it is worth, and can still sleep at night...

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Exactly. Just be honest.

I've got at least 2 dozen people interested in it already and two have passed because of the rear of the frame. I told them I wouldn't want to tow with it. It's more of a winter beater/ mud truck.

Got a couple people looking at it tonight. I'm just hoping to make my fuel and hotel cost back + the truck price.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Sold! That wasn't so bad. Truck + travel + profit. Guy knows the frame is ugly and doesn't care. Not going to tow with it anyway.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Victory! Done the right way, :good: !
But, the search for a replacement truck still continues for you?

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Didn't turn out to be as much of a turd sandwich as I originally thought. Luckily people love beater trucks. I am gonna miss that duct tape grille though. Been rocking it on my truck for a few years now!

I actually bought another truck already...almost two weeks ago. I'll start a new thread for that one. I got in from Cali and am having it shipped to NY. This is my first time dealing with auto transport companies...and I already hate them! 10 days later they haven't picked it up yet. A friend of mine said it took him 27 days to get a truck shipped once. He also had one take 2 days. But I guess I was one of the first booked on this route, so they have two more spots to fill on the truck yet.

Here's a taste:

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I guess it's time to officially bring this thread to a close. I put it up for sale and it was sold full price in a day and a half. Guess I should have asked more! Honestly though, it went for a fair price. The body is getting pretty rough, but it's amazing mechanically.

I took a day and gave it a little makeover since it was looking pretty rough...I had set of fender flares kicking around for a year or so that I put on. I also de-molded it and sprayed the bottom half in rattle can bedliner. I was gonna do the same with the cali truck but with good stuff. I also hit it with some scratch remover that made the paint look amazingly better. Hard to believe it looked so much better with so little work.

I lost the damn title (I have 6 and could only find 5 of course) so it gave me a little time to play with it before it changed hands. I hadn't used the winch since I welded the front hitch in the winter, so I tested that out and then did some off roading one last time. It is a Z71 after all. The wifey got some good videos. I'll have to put them together and youtube it later.

We went to a barbecue at a buddy's and I enjoyed some Sparks, so Tiffany enjoyed the truck! And it's Tank's favorite vehicle in the world, so he was protesting while I cleaned all my stuff out of it: whining "Pleeeaaaaaase don't take the truck" -Tank McGraw

I had 10 years with this old beast and more memories than I can count. Snapped a pic to match the photo I took on my first drive with it.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Oh and I made a couple phone backgrounds so it will live forever!

GEARHEAD dezign youtube