Trailer Tow Harness

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Mkweaver1958

Trailer Tow Harness

Post by Mkweaver1958 »

Hi All,
Looking for a tow harness to connect to my Beretta.
I've LED'd my rear center panels and want to use the harness to activate for Brake and turn signals as well as taillight and reverse.
I'd prefer to use a plug and play connector if its available.
I saw someone awhile back that used his Yellow Indy to move to Nevada with a trailer, so there must be a way to hook up.

Thanks
Mark

Rettax3

Re: Trailer Tow Harness

Post by Rettax3 »

I've towed with a few of my Berettas in the past (actually destroyed the clutch in the GTU doing it -too much torque from the 3800 and too much load, apparently :fool: ). Curt makes a bolt-on tow hitch assembly, if you are needing that -it isn't a heavy-duty hitch, but is still pretty decent. I've also fabricated a heavier-duty receiver for the old Turbo 'Retta, it has done fine even towing the old Z-26.

For the harness though, I don't know how much it might help you, but I made my own plug-and-play by going to the junk-yard and taking the harness in the trunk that runs to the tail-lights... I cut the connector-plug out, leaving a decent pigtail on each end. Then I built the harness using a new 7-blade RV plug (though you could use the more common 4-flat connector if you wish). Wiring is simple on it, since the Berettas (aside from the Euros of course) use the same bulbs for stop and turn -no converter needed. The harness is built to literally plug in into the car's harness with zero splicing required into the car's actual wiring, so everything can be removed 100% if desired. GM used the same tail section plugs in many different models, so just take a good look at the one used in your car (I do believe they changed them mid-production, I think my '89 harness connector is different than my '95 Z, but don't recall for sure), you shouldn't have too hard a time finding a harness/plug that is compatible. Most yards won't charge more than $5-10 depending on how much wire you take, some won't even charge for it -especially if you are buying something else and use the wire to 'tie the load to your tool-cart :wink: ).

Consider replacing the flasher relay in the car with an electronic one that can adapt to the additional load of your trailer wiring. That way you can keep the signals flashing at an appropriate rate.

If this sounds like a direction you want to go and you want more info on how I did mine, PM me so I get the message and I'll help with what I can.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Mkweaver1958

Re: Trailer Tow Harness

Post by Mkweaver1958 »

Thanks, the harness idea you suggested makes perfect sense!