Back to Berettas after 15+ years

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
woody90gtz

Re: Back to Berettas after 15+ years

Post by woody90gtz »

Good luck, man!

I had a vibration with mine that started at about 75 and got worse. It persisted for years through new tires and all new balljoints, tie rods, wheel bearings...etc. Never found it, I just went 72 on the highway.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Yeah, I would have started the same way you did -Tires/wheels re-balanced, check wheel-bearings and CV's... Great price on those RA close-outs, by the way. Hard to find deals like that period, but especially for the 5-speed cars like mine... I have more TH125C half-shafts than I'll ever need, especially since my last 3-speed auto Beretta finally crapped-out (Yellow Indy) and is now waiting for the time to swap-in another 3800SC/manual tranny conversion...

What about your tie-rods? If one of them is loose or worn, it will have a 'sour-spot' (as opposed to a 'sweet spot') where it will start shimmying, which will indeed feel like a vibration similar to a badly out-of-balance tire. I suppose badly-worn struts, strut-mounts, or even ball-joints could cause similar issues. Any potential issues there to look at?

Have you checked the steering-rack for any looseness or wiggle? The firewall leaks these cars are prone to can cause a section of the firewall to rust and weaken right where the steering-rack bolts in -my 'old' '95 Z-26 had completely broken out the rack mount before I bought it and I had to weld-in some repair material to keep the steering-rack from sliding an inch or two side-to-side while turning -extremely dangerous and very uncomfortable feeling, BTW...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

It ended up being a bad tire. I'm too frugal for my own good sometimes.
A while back I got something that looked like a hypodermic needle in the edge of the tread near the sidewall. 2 local shops wouldn't fix it. Sooo I put fix a flat in it. Not doing that again.
On the 3rd test drive rotating my donut spare to different positions, the vibration was gone.
Tire Rack still carried the same tire so I had one shipped to the shop, and just dropped off the wheel/tire off the car.
Still not the smoothest car in the world, but 29 years old and 180k+ it's fine.

@Rettax3: still running the OE BJ's and tie rod ends as far as I can tell(!) They feel ok so I trust OE parts when I can keep em but those are definitely possibilities for this kind of issue.
It could use struts again, and I should put poly everything for the bushings.
This car is clean around the firewall luckily. There might be a bit of play in the inner tie rod bushings or the rack itself, but she's driving pretty nice.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I'm not surprised actually -I have yet to replace ball-joints on ANY of my Berettas, and the only inner tie-rod I've had to replace is the one I mentioned that the bushing completely disintegrated on for some reason.

Poly, er, um, not really a fan. It is supposed to last longer, but I've seen plenty of poly suspension bushings that have broken apart and crumbled, so I would say that isn't necessarily so... They also squeak pretty frequently, and take out a LOT of the flexibility designed into the OEM materials, and can make the ride overly rough and can also cause hammering of the other older suspension parts. Maybe good to stiffen the ride up, but then again, maybe not.

Glad you got the tire issue figured out.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Rettax3 wrote:I'm not surprised actually -I have yet to replace ball-joints on ANY of my Berettas, and the only inner tie-rod I've had to replace is the one I mentioned that the bushing completely disintegrated on for some reason.

Poly, er, um, not really a fan. It is supposed to last longer, but I've seen plenty of poly suspension bushings that have broken apart and crumbled, so I would say that isn't necessarily so... They also squeak pretty frequently, and take out a LOT of the flexibility designed into the OEM materials, and can make the ride overly rough and can also cause hammering of the other older suspension parts. Maybe good to stiffen the ride up, but then again, maybe not.

Glad you got the tire issue figured out.
Good point on the poly, I really don't want to lose the flexibility in the suspension, this is a well cared for drive back and forth to work on nice days car for me, and the roads in Ohio are plenty harsh!

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

The car was getting a little raspy, so finally time for a new muffler. Still was rockin' the OEM (!)
I just ordered stock replacement stuff from RA, I figured the ol' 3.1 is wheezing away at 180K, and any old muffler will be enough breathing for it. The pipe is near mint. Someone deleted the cat years before the car became mine, but they sectioned in a piece and seemed to do a good job welding it.

I still have the window sticker and i think it says it came with a stainless exhaust, so that would explain how it's held up for 29 years, the replacement stuff lasts 5 if you're lucky.

I ordered new hangers too, but they didn't match what I had, so it was easier to use the OE's. The rear one had rusted off of the muffler a few years ago, but I kept it and it fit the new muffler fine. Had to give up my dual outlets, but you have to take what you can get, no choices on RA, and I wasnt motivated enough to put together a custom setup.

I'm just going to wait for Woody to finish his Step by Step LS Swap Tutorial and I will copy him!!

IMG_20220417_095609644.jpg
IMG_20220416_093430998a.jpg

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Haha I've actually been planning exhaust the last few days. I also want to keep the single muffler but with dual tips that match up to the bumper notch. Transmission and torque arm in the way kinda mess with the crossover from dual to single though.
That looks like a "turbo" style muffler. I wanna do the same with mine and keep it very sleeper-y at least at first.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I am still resisting LS engines, mostly because I haven't finished all my wicked plans with older SBC builds that I still have sitting around here yet, and because LS's are still just a little harder to find in good shape for a good price around here, but they are definitely the way to go if starting fresh... Yeah, Woody is blasting through that RWD project, making it look easy too! A nice way to go for sure. :good:

I was shocked at how clean my second '95 Z-26's entire exhaust system was. When I dropped the 24-valve 3.4 quad-cam into it (okay, 'dropped' is definitely misleading -when I 'shoe-horned' that monster in there... :runsies: :ROFL: )and built the 3-inch exhaust for it, I kept the original piping in case someone ever needed it... Too nice to toss out.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Rettax3 wrote:I am still resisting LS engines, mostly because I haven't finished all my wicked plans with older SBC builds that I still have sitting around here yet, and because LS's are still just a little harder to find in good shape for a good price around here, but they are definitely the way to go if starting fresh... Yeah, Woody is blasting through that RWD project, making it look easy too! A nice way to go for sure. :good:

I was shocked at how clean my second '95 Z-26's entire exhaust system was. When I dropped the 24-valve 3.4 quad-cam into it (okay, 'dropped' is definitely misleading -when I 'shoe-horned' that monster in there... :runsies: :ROFL: )and built the 3-inch exhaust for it, I kept the original piping in case someone ever needed it... Too nice to toss out.

I'm with you on both fronts: The LS is hard to beat. There's something way cool about old-school SBC's though, so either way can be fun. Now the DOHC swap, that is just mad-scientist level like Woody said. Definitely unique, and took a lot of ingenuity.

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

I'm learning that my new freeway commute is pretty tough on my cars! I was in the GT, looking over my shoulder to see that I was clear to change lanes, and BOOM biggest pothole of my life.
Instantly a major vibration so I thought I was getting a flat. Once I was off the highway I looked out the front window and the tire was still holding air.

This weekend I investigated, and it bent the hell out of the rim: toast. These are aftermarket 17" that were on the car when I bought it (Mille Miglia Action 35MM offset), and they are old, so finding another seems pointless. I found someone in NYC that has a set, but the offset is different, and I only need one. Plus it shows pickup, and I ain't driving to NYC that's for sure.

I think I am just going to hit the Pull a Part and find a Cavy wheel to get me by, they are $35 with a tire I think. Save up my coin for a new set of Enkei's. or, just drive it forever with (3) 17's and a steelie lol

IMG_20220611_082648444a.jpg

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Oh that sucks man! That was one of my fears with the Speedy Lite-5 17s that I had on my last car since 2004. LOVED those things and was always a little worried one would get ruined and screw up the set. They lasted through 2 different Berettas in 2 different colors and I had planned to use them RWD since they were dual pattern 114.3 to match up with an explorer. haha

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Rettax3 wrote:I am still resisting LS engines...because LS's are still just a little harder to find in good shape for a good price around here
So I shouldn't mention the one I just picked up for $200 with a trans? :P :lol:

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

woody90gtz wrote:Oh that sucks man! That was one of my fears with the Speedy Lite-5 17s that I had on my last car since 2004. LOVED those things and was always a little worried one would get ruined and screw up the set. They lasted through 2 different Berettas in 2 different colors and I had planned to use them RWD since they were dual pattern 114.3 to match up with an explorer. haha
I always liked those Speedy Lite's that you had too, they went perfect with the car. And how did you know back in '04 that you'd need 114.3 wheels for a swap in '22? Hopefully the new owner of the SS is enjoying them.

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

woody90gtz wrote:
Rettax3 wrote:I am still resisting LS engines...because LS's are still just a little harder to find in good shape for a good price around here
So I shouldn't mention the one I just picked up for $200 with a trans? :P :lol:

Damn that's a screamin' deal!
My FIL has a 64 Impala SS that's been sitting for like 35 years and it's begging for that setup.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

That LS is going in a buddy's S10 with one of of my nv3500 5spds. The barf-o-matic will end up in my wife's new car. But that's probably enough hijacking this thread. haha

GEARHEAD dezign youtube