LS1/t56 swap

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Alxsmt

Re: LS1/t56 swap

Post by Alxsmt »

back at it.. so I had intended on building a roll bar for my geo with the time off over the holidays for a practice run, but due to weather I decided to work on the Beretta..

about 165' of 1.75" .120 wall DOM

Very first bend on the mandrel bender! 155* before spring back. I didnt bother measuring after. Bend quality great!

for comparison purposes, here is a mandrel bend vs a non mandrel bend. I forgot to adjust the mandrel back to where it goes on the 2nd one.. so it was in the tube, but a few inches away from the bend making it pointless. You can see how much better the bend quality is!

And here is what I bent up. Yes I redid one, so both are mandrel bent. This is what I think im going to do. Im not in love with it, but so far its what ive come up with. Still thinking about it. The coilover hoops will sit lower If I do this. waiting for fuel safe to respond on the fuel cell, but I think i have that sorted out. The fuel cell location breaks the rules for silverstate (which I REALLY want to do) but I just got email confirmation they will allow it! If I were to do it again, the rear frame rails would be farther apart and I would have cut less out over the wheels.. maybe even tube the back end. It REALLY limits me on fuel cell options if im going to use the factory filler, and even then if I didnt, im still limited! oh well. Cant think of everything when you have never done it. Need to verify on NASA, NHRA, and SCCA still as far as the fuel cell goes. Also waiting to hear back from Koni about what coilover lengths are available, I cant seem to find any info on that.. Im pretty sure im just going to run a mono tube instead of getting the drag twin tube shocks and revalving them like I initially planned.

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

finally got the factory seat mounts out and put some rust mort on to kill the rust.

this was my initial idea, im not sure I like it at all. 1.75" DOM to tie the seat mounts to the frame.. I am thinking about putting angle iron on the floor where it meets the trans tunnel to help stiffen the sheet metal up. Then 1x3 goes across the seat mounts to actually mount the seats to (which I totally screwed up and read the tape measure backwards on that.. so I have to get more metal and recut those..). The 1x3 will be on the inside edge of the by the tunnel. I need room to paint everything..

this was another idea, like the idea but dont like the end result.. 2x4 box all the way back connecting to the frame on both ends and the seat mounts. its a bit excessive... Id have to have it mandrel bent on the front side to get header clearance where it meets the frame, it kills a lot of foot room.. and it causes issues mounting the seats.. would have replace the angle iron.

another idea is with 1x3.. also replace the angle iron. Im not in love with it.. also thinking about maybe 1x1 or 3/4x3/4. Im not sure it would really add much strength compared to the DOM.

But this is where its at. Spent most the time thinking about how to do stuff and coming up with a plan than anything else. I have a few days off next weekend so maybe ill get the trans mount finished up at least and have a better direction. Im open to ideas!

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I gave up on the idea of the factory fuel filler. I'm going taller (which is better for slosh) and short so it will be even with the decklid or a little less. Gets me the volume I need and still keep a little bit of trunk space. And rather than dicking with the fill and vent hoses, it will just be filler tubes welded directly to the tank. Hopefully I won't hate it.

And I think you're already overkill on structure. My car (that's cut to crap) isn't nearly as floppy as I expected...still feels solid. Sometimes overkill is a smart move, but all that weight adds up too...so you gotta balance that aspect with it.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

I just don't like the idea of opening my trunk every time I need fuel, and keeping the weight lower is always good! No word from fuel safe yet. I THINK I can mount it rotated and run a surge tank, if that is true I can just run an off the shelf fuel cell thats a bit larger in dimentions than I want.. but it will make it have decent compacity. Funny how that works...

Also no word from koni.. I keep going back and forth. The legit race mono tube shocks are looking like 2k, each.. im looking at the 30 series they have for circle track guys but I don't know enough about valving honestly.. 200 bucks each is a bit better, but also steel and not external adjustable.. Waiting to hear back from a few other companies too. Looking into afco and qa1 as an alternative at least to get it going and sorted out.

As far as the structure goes, I just feel like the seat needs to be tied in in another way for some reason. But your right, in reality it is probably way overkill before adding a hoop to connect them together over the tunnel. I have some time to think about it this weekend. Hopefully accomplish something tho! I'm kinda at the point of waiting for answers, but I can do some work on the cage and some sheet metal work. Well and I do have my weld on nuts I can get my trans mount finished up too.. maybe..

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

The Delorean DMC-12 initially had the fuel-filler in the 'trunk' (which was of course up front, since the Delorean was a mid-engine car), and the whole lid had to be opened-up to fill the tank. Shortly into production though, they 'updated' the 'trunk lid' with a gas-flap door in the edge. So that could be an option for you too. I've considered some variation on this as well, likely utilizing a lockable 'flap' sourced from a motorcycle gas-tank or possibly an aviation application. This would let you potentially use a cheaper off-the-shelf cell without opening-up your luggage compartment for the world to see.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Rettax3 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:29 am The Delorean DMC-12 initially had the fuel-filler in the 'trunk' (which was of course up front, since the Delorean was a mid-engine car), and the whole lid had to be opened-up to fill the tank. Shortly into production though, they 'updated' the 'trunk lid' with a gas-flap door in the edge. So that could be an option for you too. I've considered some variation on this as well, likely utilizing a lockable 'flap' sourced from a motorcycle gas-tank or possibly an aviation application. This would let you potentially use a cheaper off-the-shelf cell without opening-up your luggage compartment for the world to see.
Hmm...I dunno. For me, I hate the idea of doing body work. (Look at Camaro) haha And I should rarely have dead bodies in the trunk to hide from prying eyes.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

I think I know what your talking about. Have the trunk lid go around it and have the filler basically attached to the body with a cut out in the trunk lid? I think thats actually a decent idea..

Hell I could just cut the box tube out and to round tube after the axle and make it fit. I dont know.. fuel safe never got back to be on the orientation but I've been too busy to really pursue it. I've made zero progress since the last post :-(

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

When does the new fuel tank come in?

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

Skills! Way beyond my level......

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

DOHC_tuner wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:44 pm Skills! Way beyond my level......
Thanks!

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

so I guess Im behind on updating this.. Time absolutely flys.. so here we go. the update.. Quite a bit has happened, yet not enough! its been a busy year.. photobucket is making it harder to upload, go figure.

these things work really well for removing mill scale

transmission mount done! It took forever to build!

Cut outs should fit dual 3" exhaust and be above the floor still. Not sure what going to happen past this tho..

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Rear coilover mounts!

welded in all nice!

And then it all went south.... Quick..

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

so it turns out if you run the Silverstate Classic in Nevada, you will need about 18 or so gallons of fuel in the 150mpg class with a 500hp or so car.. This is a bucketlist event I am 100% doing in this car. No matter what I came up with it, I could not get enough fuel in the car.. even with a custom made fuel cell I was still a bit shy of what I wanted. and those are about $5,000.00.. and have to be recert in 5 years, for an additional couple years added to the life.. then its expired and you start over... Big money.. The fuel cell absolutely had to be low, using the factory gas door is a requirement for me.. its a street car! thought about moving the door up.. Just didnt really like the idea. Multiple off the shelf fuel cells was not an option, the mfg didnt suggest it of multiple fuel cell companys nor could they tell me how to make it work. So.. I found a 22 gallon off the shelf fuel cell. Put even more thought into it.. checked the measurements a few times.. Placed the Order. and.. goodbye rear frame.. It was the most logical solution, and it hurt every cut..

Its pretty large..

quick test fit..

Front section tacked in. Its as far forward as I could get it. And guess what? I didnt account for the 2" frame when I measured for the fuel cell haha. So back farther than planned it goes..

rear section tacked in.

Due to moving the fuel cell back an extra 2", that ment the rear frame section was not where I wanted it..... I had to cut my factory bumper mounts off to get it in.... The bumper tubes that mount to the sheet metal bumper section will have to be remade slightly shorter, and mounted to the new frame. Really not what I wanted to do.. but it is what it is, have to move forward.

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

It was a pretty tight fit! thats the rear section of the frame poking through..

The basic idea

Finally got it all welded up tonight actually. I have a frame again! back to square one..

That was done on the tig, up hill, facing away from me, looking down at it.. fun times! Not flawless but ill take it! kinda surprised it turned out that good actually..

The fuel cell will end up sitting an inch or 2 higher, As high as I can go and still use the fuel door. it leaves almost no room for the exhaust.. Its pretty tight.... I need to order the fuel pickup/surge tank setup before I go farther on the fuel cell mounting. I think im going to use the Radium setup. Still need to weld the trunk area to the frame. Maybe this weekend ill do that.

The next big issues... Upper coilover mounts........ again..

design 1... blue/purple is 1.75" DOM. Not too thrilled with the design.. but its something.

Design 2.. all 1.75" DOM, tied into the cage. It will not be fun to build at all........ getting the notches right will take a few tries for sure. But I think it actually looks more solid.

Thats what im working with. Coilovers are literally in the middle of nowhere.. If I was smart I would have made the 2x4 longer on the sides and came off it with a mount. I may do something along those lines but I couldnt draw it. Im very open to ideas!!

And that is where it sits currently! Was really hoping to have the cage done this year but its not looking like that going to happen. maybe 2024.. I hope..

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Photobucket sucks! I use imgur now. Free fiddy.

I didn't realize you had a hitch on it. I'm assuming it was the same Curt/Draw-tite that everyone uses?

I like the yellow/purple/green sketch for the coilovers. Do you think the teal is needed? I'm assuming you'll also be building a solid rear firewall like I did, but that package tray is still super flimsy. I don't see tying into that doing anything structurally.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube