SPEEDOMETER TROUBLE

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
90INDY

SPEEDOMETER TROUBLE

Post by 90INDY »

I OWN A 1990 BERETTA INDY SERIES WITH THE DIGITAL DASH .HERE  LATELY IT,S BEEN ACTING CRAZY, THE SCALE FOR THE SPEEDO WILL ACTUALLY JUMP TO THE TOP AND WORK IT,S WAY DOWN INSTEAD OF THE OTHER WAY, AND THE NUMBERS IF YOU CAN READ THEM MAY SAY 48 49 MPH WHEN I,M REALLY DOING 70. JUST AS SOON AS YOU START THE CAR , IN PARK THE SPEEDO IS READING 18 MPH.  SOMETIMES IT WILL GO BACK TO NORMAL BUT IT WON,T STAY  LONG.

Scanman88GT

SPEEDOMETER TROUBLE

Post by Scanman88GT »

Occasionally the speedometer in my digiital dash ges crazy all on its own showing all kinds of garbage characters. As stupid as it sounds, a good smack to the dash pad directly in the middle of the cluster with my hand held out flat fixes it. Must be a bad ground or solder joint...maybe this'll help you...

Jeff P

SPEEDOMETER TROUBLE

Post by Jeff P »

You can test the vehicle speed sensor to eliminate it as a problem.  Unplug the sensor and hook up a couple of long wires to the prongs on the transmission.  Connect the wires to your multimeter and set it to AC Volts (not DC).  Drive around and the readout on the multimeter should resemble your actual speed....such as .30 at 30 mph (decimal location depends on volt range selected).  But just for the record, I don't see the VSS being the problem in this case.  Scanman's idea is probably right.  FYI the car's computer could also be fubar.

Oh, and a slightly useful pic.  Don't have one of the VSS plug, sorry, but it's pretty close to the transmission dipstick, toward the passenger side.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi