My GTZ

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Mr. Beefy

My GTZ

Post by Mr. Beefy »

Well you all know(or should know) my GTZ. It's going under the knife to become a good DD.

What she looked like just before the winter:

She got pretty sad about 3 months ago when I parked her and got the truck. Well.... I'm fixing the problems and am going to put her back on the road when it's finished.

I started taking out the struts so I can replace them today. The drivers side strut was DEAD!, nothing left to it. Basically when I took the strut apart, it wouldnt fully enxten on it's own. That and I could compress it with absolutely no pressure.  I dont see why people would have a hard time doing struts. When I got the correct 24mm socket for the strut/knuckle bolts I had the strut out in like 5 minutes. Took it apart and put it back together(corectly) inside of like 15 mins. And that was taking my sweet *** time. The mount looked in really good shape(like it was replaced before), so I didnt replace them. The struts are gabriel's that I'm replacing them with now. The old one's out.....

And now with the strut out of the way I can get to that broken trans mount lower bolt. Got it drilled out and started to tap a new hole.... and the ******* tap broke in the hole.  Now I have to find another way of doing it. While I was fixing that mount hole I took the trans mount out cause it was spongy. No longer spongy when it dries......

Once the struts are done and the mount fixed I'm going to tackle the fuel leak and the exhaust leak... Then I want to get a new cat back pipe and muffler cause it's just a little too quiet out of the rear(the front is another story.... for now).

How she's sitting right now....

Rollin' on 15" crosslaces.

More to come.

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
Jetfoi34

My GTZ

Post by Jetfoi34 »

i like the crosslaces better than the Z wheels actually

good stuff getting the Z back to DD status

1991 Beretta GT 3400 5-speed -- black/garnet

1988 Beretta GT auto
17.355 @ 78.63

1991 Beretta GTZ quad4  -  R.I.P.
Kyle Anderson

My GTZ

Post by Kyle Anderson »

(sousa632 @ May 19 2008,19:02)QUOTEI dont see why people would have a hard time doing struts. When I got the correct 24mm socket for the strut/knuckle bolts I had the strut out in like 5 minutes.
Yours obviously doesn't have the rust problems many of us have had.

I just had my struts off again on Saturday, and even after a half dozen times doing them, those bolts are still hard to get out.

I actually snapped a brass hammer doing them this time.

I did manage to mash a couple nuts and bolts too... I keep a bag of extras because I know I usually end up ruining a couple.

Anyway, good to see the car getting back to running condition. You should have it going in no time.

speedygtz

My GTZ

Post by speedygtz »

glad to see your saving it anyways, theres a garnet beretta gtz exactly like that up at ez pull and save, i can check it out if you want any parts from it. in fact, i prolly mentioned it before, lol. let me know.

the z26 is on the road!
Mr. Beefy

My GTZ

Post by Mr. Beefy »

Yea.. if I had a whole day with no work/wife/kids around I would be able to get it all done. I'm going to see what's going on for the weekend cause if my wife will go to her mom's with the kids for saturday/sunday morning it should be completed this weekend. If not.... maybe the following.

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
Mr. Beefy

My GTZ

Post by Mr. Beefy »

(speedygtz @ May 19 2008,19:31)QUOTEglad to see your saving it anyways, theres a garnet beretta gtz exactly like that up at ez pull and save, i can check it out if you want any parts from it. in fact, i prolly mentioned it before, lol. let me know.
I know that I need the driver's seat/doorpanel and the grey plastic bezel that goes around the radio(mine was cracked at the top and it doesnt hold very well) maybe the knock sensor too(if cheap enough, if not I'll buy a new one). Oh.. OH.... and those WHEELS!!! maybe

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
speedygtz

My GTZ

Post by speedygtz »

those wheels were taken, the dumb @$$ that took them didnt get the center caps though, lol...  the drivers seat iirc is shot, they just brough a brm z26 in though with almost mint seats, but someone threw a rear on top of them, but i bet they are still in good condition, and the drivers seat only had a little sag on it, shipping it would be a pita though. however, tell me where and how to get a knock sensor off the motor, and i bet ya i can do it. and for a cheap price for ya.

the z26 is on the road!
Mr. Beefy

My GTZ

Post by Mr. Beefy »

The knock sensor is on the back of the block IIRC right under the exhaust manifold. All you have to do is take a wrenck to it to take it off(I dont know the size). I can get a new one for like $40 if need be so cheapie cheapie

Was the drivers door panel fubared?

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
speedygtz

My GTZ

Post by speedygtz »

i have no clue, cant open the door and take parts off the car where it is now, gotta wait till it leaves the running section, and ive been waiting like 6 fucken months now, kinda getting pissed.  however, i know where another quad ho car is in there. and that i can get the knock sensor off of, and all the other sensors, if i get up there again, i will be there wed, might get it then.

the z26 is on the road!
Mr. Beefy

My GTZ

Post by Mr. Beefy »

Keep me posted. If you pick one up shoot me a PM and I'll shoot you the $

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
speedygtz

My GTZ

Post by speedygtz »

not a problem sousa, prolly wont be that much. assuming i can find it and get it out without breaking it.

the z26 is on the road!
Kyle Anderson

My GTZ

Post by Kyle Anderson »

The knock sensor is a PITA to get to on a quad... I had to replace it on my old GA.

Just thought I would give you a little encouragement

weba

My GTZ

Post by weba »

(Kyle Anderson @ May 19 2008,21:26)QUOTEeven after a half dozen times doing them, those bolts are still hard to get out.
Every time i open a nut\bolt witch affects with elements, i lubricate it with anti-rust stuff before i put it back together, and it has worked excellent so far, just a tip  

I fill up for $130. Also Beretta owner since 2004
Mr. Beefy

My GTZ

Post by Mr. Beefy »

(weba @ May 20 2008,00:06)QUOTE
(Kyle Anderson @ May 19 2008,21:26)QUOTEeven after a half dozen times doing them, those bolts are still hard to get out.
Every time i open a nut\bolt witch affects with elements, i lubricate it with anti-rust stuff before i put it back together, and it has worked excellent so far, just a tip ÂÂÂ

Antisieze is a wonderful tool. So is putting PBLaster on the bolts and letting them sit for a day. works like a charm

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
Kyle Anderson

My GTZ

Post by Kyle Anderson »

Even better.... brand new bolts