Alternator

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
feelgood7777

Alternator

Post by feelgood7777 »

Ok 2 questions, will a stock 105A alternator handle the additional draw of my amp or should i look for a larger one.  The stock one i have now which I believe is bad bogs way down if i have headlights and my heater on.  Second if I go for a larger one where can I find an Iceberg or anyother high output alternator?

1994 Adriatic Blue Z26

Mods:  GTS Solar Wing, GTS Headlight Covers, DEI 600 Amp, Infinity Kappa 4X6's & 6X9's, Viper Car Alarm, Lunar Lights, Infinity Reference 12"

Tranny # 2

Alternator

Post by Guest »

I have a phonix gold xs4600 running approx 75x4 right now and a bd1000a1 @ 4ohmz putting out around 600.
Even without the stereo on, my lights would dim at  stoplights with the headlights and everything on. I just tap the gas a little.

Alternator

Post by Guest »

If you think the alt is bad have it checked. Advance or somewhere should be able to do it in car.  Personally I have had approx 500 watts RMS in several cavys with no probs.  I presently have 2 JLAudio 12 and a 15 Orion XTR 2000, Soundstream reference 255, MTX Thunder 102 @2ohm mono, and Punch 500a2@ 1ohm mono In a nearly stock 92 Sentra.  I needed to move the batt for the CAI so instead of one I bought 2 and the cable.  Run the batts parallel to each other with Both  grounds connected to chassi.  Run one hot side to the ignition and the other for your amps.  Ive sat cruising at idle for 2-3 hours and not had a prob.  I used the Wal-Mart brand 1000 CCA batts.  their only like $55 and have a 3 year free replacement.  

feelgood7777

Alternator

Post by feelgood7777 »

So sincec I'm only running one 500watt amp you think just a stock one will do?  I have a brand new 1000CCA battery.

1994 Adriatic Blue Z26

Mods:  GTS Solar Wing, GTS Headlight Covers, DEI 600 Amp, Infinity Kappa 4X6's & 6X9's, Viper Car Alarm, Lunar Lights, Infinity Reference 12"

Tranny # 2

Alternator

Post by Guest »

500 watts and a 1000CCA batt.  You should be fine as long as the stock alt is good.  Like I said Advance or such can test it in car for free. ;)

Alternator

Post by Guest »

I had a 500 watt amp with a factory alt and it was fine, until I got my 1100 watt amp and it killed the stock alt.  It is worth the $150 though to get a 160 amp Powermaster alternator if you end up needing one though.

Nafterclifen

Alternator

Post by Nafterclifen »

Just for comparison, I had a local starter and alternator rebuild shop build me a 140A for my 93 Base and it cost something like $125 with a very limited warranty. Never had any problems in the year I had it in the car. After the Base was totalled, I got my Z26 and noticed the casings weren't the same so I took it back to the shop. They swaped out the cases for me so I could install the bigger alternator in my Z and all they asked for was my stock alternator. Actually, I made that deal.    The guys are real nice, test anything/everything, and even though it doesn't have a lifetime warranty like some alternators out there, the shop is local so if I ever have a problem, just take it there, they put it on the bench, and fix it on the spot.

1996 Beretta Z26
15.412 @ 88.03 MPH